Small Scale Helicopters & Whirlybirds

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Dauntless
Officer - Brigadier General

Small Scale Helicopters & Whirlybirds

Post by Dauntless » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:51 am

Just started collecting helicopters. There's many out there and some unusual subjects as well from Corgi, IXO / Altaya, Easy Model, FOV, and Hobby Master.

Share em if you got em, or discuss. Anything smaller than 1:18.

My first is a Corgi CH-47C Chinook US Army. It's pretty big for a 1:72 model.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: Small Scale Helicopters & Whirlybirds

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:05 am

That's a nice model you got there, the blades are a little diffrent though, with green instead of black, but here's a few of mine,
1/72 MRC (easy model) Mi-8
1/48 NR eurocopter dolphin
1/100 NR Agusta Westland AW109N
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:38 am

The_Helicopter_Pilot wrote:That's a nice model you got there, the blades are a little diffrent though, with green instead of black, but here's a few of mine,
Nice Russian Mi-8.

Didn't notice the blades being green instead of black. Suppose to be that way I wonder? Just put it together.
It has two sets of blades in the package. One for in flight and the ones shown for on the ground and drooping.
A play feature is if you turn one set of blades the other counter rotates. 8) must be a chain in there or something.
The ramp comes down and folds out, there's a crew member in there.

Looking at getting the similar IXO / Altaya US Marines Boeing Vertol CH-46 Sea Knight model in 1:72 diecast.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/helicopter-Boei ... 484cab33dd

I've seen some photos on the web with a moving ramp, and others without. Though from what I understand Americom is issuing these too. Would like to get one with the moving ramp if possible?

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:13 pm

Dauntless wrote:
The_Helicopter_Pilot wrote:That's a nice model you got there, the blades are a little diffrent though, with green instead of black, but here's a few of mine,
Nice Russian Mi-8.

Didn't notice the blades being green instead of black. Suppose to be that way I wonder? Just put it together.
It has two sets of blades in the package. One for in flight and the ones shown for on the ground and drooping.
A play feature is if you turn one set of blades the other counter rotates. 8) must be a chain in there or something.
The ramp comes down and folds out, there's a crew member in there.

Looking at getting the similar IXO / Altaya US Marines Boeing Vertol CH-46 Sea Knight model in 1:72 diecast.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/helicopter-Boei ... 484cab33dd

I've seen some photos on the web with a moving ramp, and others without. Though from what I understand Americom is issuing these too. Would like to get one with the moving ramp if possible?
I may be wrong but I don't think their sappose to be green, but maybe they are, I've never seen green blades on one before, it is a very nice model though, even better that you can lower the ramp, as for the Altaya CH-46, I'd think there is no door, just a solid belly on it, if you get one, do post pics I'd really like to know, maybe I'd get that next instead of the lynx if the ramp lowers, I kind of wish my Mi-8 at least had the option of a ramp or at least closing that main door that's open, altaya has a CH-47 but I'm pretty sure it's smaller then 1:72 and I'd like to get one and I'm sure you payed a pretty penny for that beauty you have, no?
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:11 pm

Also if your looking for a good Huey storekeeper-paradise is selling the altaya 1/72 hueys for $3.99 on eBay!

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:23 pm

Here's the Huey,
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 4753343705
And "Dauntless" I think you would much rather this price on the sea knight
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 2804048458
Also look threw all the models he has in stock here, there's quite a few at the lowest prices...

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:32 pm

I only used that auction because that seller had the best picture, not price of course.

I'll certainly buy more stuff from SKP, and probably a Sea Knight, but he's got to send me a revised invoice of combined shipping on the four 1:144 bombers I already committed to buy. Just waiting for that, though it says it could take a few days, then I'll pay him and perhaps order some more models. The auctions say only $4 for each additional item, so need that on the invoice before I can pay. I'm sure he'll come through.

There are Sea Knights with opening hatches from what I've seen.
Scroll down to see one with opening hatch.
http://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/mil ... -72-a.html

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:27 pm

Dauntless wrote:I only used that auction because that seller had the best picture, not price of course.

I'll certainly buy more stuff from SKP, and probably a Sea Knight, but he's got to send me a revised invoice of combined shipping on the four 1:144 bombers I already committed to buy. Just waiting for that, though it says it could take a few days, then I'll pay him and perhaps order some more models. The auctions say only $4 for each additional item, so need that on the invoice before I can pay. I'm sure he'll come through.

There are Sea Knights with opening hatches from what I've seen.
Scroll down to see one with opening hatch.
http://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/mil ... -72-a.html
That's pretty interesting, I know that the Easy Model version has a permanently open ramp, is that maybe the EM version?

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:41 pm

Nice Chinook from the pooch Dauntless

I've always wanted the pooch's RAF Chinook with the "BN" code, lots of history with that one. Also would have liked a Sea King Search & Rescue Anniversary scheme but just never had the right timing or price and other more desirable models gets bumped up the list.

I did earlier in the year bought a lot of 8 EM Helos, a Pavehawk, a Jayhawk and 6 Hinds but they're still packed away in the shipping boxes so unable to take any pics.

One of the first models that I bought when I first started collecting was a New Ray 1/55 AH64 Apache, to my untrained inexperienced eye it looked very good and detailed and was not expensive but in a fit of generosity I gave it away to my brother as a birthday present. Now it cant be found for sale locally anymore and all I have left is nice distant memories of it. I've never read any reviews of it before so wonder how does it rate in comparisons to whats available in the market, say FOV for example?

http://www.flyingmule.com/products/NR-25527
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:01 pm

gouchy wrote:Nice Chinook from the pooch Dauntless

I've always wanted the pooch's RAF Chinook with the "BN" code, lots of history with that one. Also would have liked a Sea King Search & Rescue Anniversary scheme but just never had the right timing or price and other more desirable models gets bumped up the list.

I did earlier in the year bought a lot of 8 EM Helos, a Pavehawk, a Jayhawk and 6 Hinds but they're still packed away in the shipping boxes so unable to take any pics.

One of the first models that I bought when I first started collecting was a New Ray 1/55 AH64 Apache, to my untrained inexperienced eye it looked very good and detailed and was not expensive but in a fit of generosity I gave it away to my brother as a birthday present. Now it cant be found for sale locally anymore and all I have left is nice distant memories of it. I've never read any reviews of it before so wonder how does it rate in comparisons to whats available in the market, say FOV for example?

http://www.flyingmule.com/products/NR-25527
Looke threw the sellers items in the link I posted up above for some models at the lowest prices, as for the NR apache IMO it's a good model.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:04 pm

Yeah that is probably the Easy Model Sea Knight CH-46, Helicopter Pilot.
Didn't know till you mentioned the hatch is permanently open.
Think I'd rather have the Altaya / IXO / Americom version myself even with the closed hatch.

I'll make another round of purchases from our Polish friend soon, finances allowing. He sent me an updated invoice for the four 1:44 bombers, so those are paid for and should be on the way soon.

Don't know much about those New Ray copters Gouchy. Though the FOV looks good for the size, and it's fairly inexpensive.

I have the FOV 1:72 Blackhawk I bought a while back at Target pretty cheap (the light OD version) I need to dig it out and take some pics of it.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:45 pm

Speaking of FOV blackhawk here's my 1/48 blackhawk, I did get tired of the all white interior and painted it,

snake

Post by snake » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:17 pm

Not much of a helicopter guy, but have three of them.

A 1/18 Apache.

A New Ray Agusta Westland Cormorant, in Canadian Search and Rescue livery. It is 1/72 scale, and inexpensive. Good value for the money, in my opinion. I see these flying all the time, so a real local subject.

And one that is highly sought after, and will usually set you back some serious money. The fantastic Corgi Sea King "Apollo" diorama. 8) Really love this one. 1/72 scale as well.

grunt1

Post by grunt1 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:31 pm

That sea king with the Apollo capsule is really cool!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:35 pm

I remember seeing that for sale at stores 10 years ago, though not in this country. Should have gotten one then :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:46 am

I really like that Apollo diorama and the Sea King. Hard to get these days at a reasonable price.

Would like to get a Corgi Sea King though probably have to settle for a different one.

Curious, what is that box like thing in front of the intakes on many of the Corgi Sea Kings that looks like a refrigerator truck cooler?
http://www.flyingmule.com/products/CG-AA33418

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:16 am

The altaya sea king looks pretty good, and at a great low price...
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 6971084792

jlspec
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by jlspec » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:45 am

I have resisted buying helicopters but these pictures have me rethinking my decision

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:57 pm

Dauntless wrote:I really like that Apollo diorama and the Sea King. Hard to get these days at a reasonable price.

Would like to get a Corgi Sea King though probably have to settle for a different one.

Curious, what is that box like thing in front of the intakes on many of the Corgi Sea Kings that looks like a refrigerator truck cooler?
Yes I wondered the same thing, looks like some giant aftermarket air filter :lol:

but unfortunately its very distracting and can't help but to be drawn towards it when you look at the Sea King

I love helicopters but pretty ashamed that I've yet to get a proper diecast helo into my collection, maybe I should seriously look into getting the FOV Blackhawk to start it off. I'd like to see someone do a V-22 or Sea Stallion or a better MI-24

I wonder if Hobby Master will get serious into their helos again, they've only got a single UH-1 in their portfolio and the schemes didn't really appeal to me yet. Does anyone know if the UH-1 is doing well or poorly in sales?

Forgot about this little gem in my collection of helos besides the EM ones mentioned, The F-toys Heliborne V-22 Osprey, still boxed and unassembled but hopefully soon will take a spot on my display

"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:52 pm

gouchy wrote:
Dauntless wrote:I really like that Apollo diorama and the Sea King. Hard to get these days at a reasonable price.

Yes I wondered the same thing, looks like some giant aftermarket air filter :lol:

but unfortunately its very distracting and can't help but to be drawn towards it when you look at the Sea King

I love helicopters but pretty ashamed that I've yet to get a proper diecast helo into my collection, maybe I should seriously look into getting the FOV Blackhawk to start it off. I'd like to see someone do a V-22 or Sea Stallion or a better MI-24

I wonder if Hobby Master will get serious into their helos again, they've only got a single UH-1 in their portfolio and the schemes didn't really appeal to me yet. Does anyone know if the UH-1 is doing well or poorly in sales?

Forgot about this little gem in my collection of helos besides the EM ones mentioned, The F-toys Heliborne V-22 Osprey, still boxed and unassembled but hopefully soon will take a spot on my display

Great model there, had to pass one of those up Tuesday at the museum gift shop because I already have the MP 1/150 version...

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:04 pm

Here's an 1/32 NR AH-64 I just picked up at DG, I'm actually impressed with it too...
Added the cigarette pack in there to show the size of this bird

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:05 pm

The New Ray Apache isn't bad (and is the only "prebuilt" 1:32 helicopter at the moment. It can be easily customized into a nice model. I'm not a fan of the exposed screw holes and wish there were sitting 1:32 scale pilot figures to be found somewhere, but it is a very affordable model.

Speaking of small-scale helicpters, has anyone gotten the MRC MIL-24 Hind? Its a great little model, even despite the plastic construction and lack of pilots in the cockpit. MRC seems to have a wide variety of other interesting helicopter subjects. I recently saw a USMC Chickasaw that looked pretty good and had a detailed interior.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:17 pm

I do plan to get the altaya Mi-24 (Czech) witch I do believe has a diecast body, I have a altaya Mi-28 on the way here, I'll post picture's of that when it gets here, it's Russian so I really can't wait!

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:16 pm

The Altaya Mi-28

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:11 am

Just ordered the we altaya 1/72 MH-53H Sea Dragon, and my girlfriend ordered the Cezch Mi-24.
Should have pictures up soon, they ship today from storekeeper so however long that takes!