Current 1/32 kit builds

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
[CAT]CplSlade
Officer - Brigadier General

Current 1/32 kit builds

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:08 pm

Sort of an update on where I've gotten with my latest projects. Wife had the camera so these are phone quality.

The Infamous Revell J2M3 Raiden kit after having the underside coated with Future:

Zoukei-Mura's 1/32 Kettenkrad after a coat of Future and before weathering:

Those old Revell kits are a bear to work with. There are some warpage issues but I did the best I could; it's only my third kit in six years so whatever.

Will post final pics soon, hopefully.

MZ826
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Current 1/32 kit builds

Post by MZ826 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:39 pm

They look great! I have the Raiden in the stash too. I was able to find an awesome deal on the Revell George this weekend. Keep us updated on the builds.

1958Zelda
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by 1958Zelda » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:56 pm

Great job on both,please keep up dates on your progress

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:45 pm

Okay. Pretty much done with painting except for whatever tiny touch-ups might appear. Decals have been applied to both models and once set another coat of Future will go on. Then, I will weather both. The Raiden will mostly get exhaust, some underside panel lining, and maybe a bit more chipping. The kettenkrad is going to plow through some mud.

Don't worry, final pics will be with an actual camera.

Airacobra
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Airacobra » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:16 pm

I love the Raiden, it looks great. I want to get the 1/32 Hasegawa Raiden.
"What a magnificent aeroplane! They could have all their Spitfires and Mustangs!"
Roland "Bee" Beamont, Tempest Wing Commander

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:25 pm

I will get a Hasegawa myself, eventually, to redo the plane as it were. That kit seems to be a very nice build from what I've read. The old kit has been a bit of a challenge in some respects but it is all part of the learning process. The Revell model isn't too far off dimensionally and panel-wise, although it suffers the usual 70's kit lack of interior details. It has that ugly two-piece pilot, for one. The problems I had were similar to what I experienced when I built an early Revell P-38 kit; warpage of wing planes (and fuselage in the Raiden's case), poorly fitting landing gear a la 21st Century, alignment issues with the pins and sockets, etc. The P-38 sucked in that it was meant to be displayed gear down and I hang all my planes "in flight" - the gear doors did not fit properly in the closed position so it was a big putty battle to get that worked out.

The Raiden's engine block section is a little off - I meant to remove the keyed bit so I could glue it in the correct position but remembered too late. The wings felt a little too full with the gear hinge and everything tucked up inside, but I finally got them to stop splitting back open. Had some airbrush issues that affected my spray quality but considering it is only my second model using extensive ab I consider it at least as good as a 21C plane with a big Chinese fingerprint on the nose art.

The Kettenkrad was originally sprayed dark gray but it came out wwwaaaaaayyyyy too dark, almost black. I think I was able to bring it back enough with the tricolor overspray and - if my attempt at making mud effects works - after I take it muddin' it will hide the fact the wheels and track are not separate pieces. It sucks that the figure sets for this vehicle are so expensive - it doesn't seem complete without a driver. Going to see if the FOV motorcycle rider will fit, but then where would I get a spare one?

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:59 pm

Well, I guess I'm done. I'm sure there is more I could do, but I am ready to move on to the next kit.

While finishing up the Raiden and Kett, I pulled down my P-38 for some touch-up. I had some old Micro Scale decals I was going to put on it but they started falling apart so I only got a few put on.

Raiden (didn't weather it too much, made it a relatively new plane):

Kettenkrad with mud (still a bit wet) on tracks:

P-38 before touch-up:

After touch-up (can't tell much beyond nose art - most of the panels lines were raised not etched on plastic):

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:02 pm

Really nice work CAT.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

MZ826
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by MZ826 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:41 pm

Nice P-38! Mines waiting for markings. Hope I can get to it soon. Nice job again!

plasticgeneral
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by plasticgeneral » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:26 pm

Congrats, You did a pretty good job.
I'm going to pick up my Hasagowa Raiden Jack tomorrow. I was also considering the Kettenrad but I don't like the fact that its resin. But I do want those Luftwaffe ground crews!! HAIL 1:32!!!!!!!!!!!

The Plastic General

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:53 pm

Thanks for the positive comments.

Plastic, my kettenkrad wasn't resin.

My next kit is:

I am going for the night fighter scheme as it is a natural fit for the Beaufighter and also because I have no night fighters of any kind.

I know black planes can be a challenge. Four models under my belt; I think I'm up for it.

:roll:

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:13 pm

Where did you get the kits? Evilbay?
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:48 pm

The kettenkrad I ordered from the company's US site, but the rest did come from the 'bay.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:54 am

The Raiden looks great! I might suggest that you can also dip the canopy parts in future before you paint them and the future will clear the fogginess right up.
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:21 pm

Getting close to final assembly on the Beaufighter and exterior paint prep. Will post some pics tomorrow after I get the wings on. Fuselage is sealed up except for the radar cockpit dome - easier to leave it off than attempt to mask that odd shape. Since the plane will basically be all black this should go quicker since I don't have to mask off for camo.

Trying to figure out what to do next. I have so far built 1 American, 1 Italian, 1 Japanese and now 1 British aircraft as well as 1 German soft-skin vehicle. I have a Russian plane I could build (MiG-3) or even a non-German BF109, maybe Finnish. I also have some Monogram German armor I could work on.

Freedom of choice is what I've got.

Freedom from choice is what I want.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:10 pm

That fuselage and wing assembly did not want to go together; those older kits are a PITA. Cannot wait until I am done with all my old Revell kits and can devote myself just to new product. The Kettenkrad fit so well that some of the parts aren't even glued together - held together by the snuggly fit.

These are my choices for the next project plus my He 219 in the mail and a Trumpeter F6F-3N Hellcat I just bought for a ridiculously low price.

The Flakpanzer is going to be used for a project - the gun will go in the back of an Opel truck and the chassis will get the extra 88mm flak gun like the 1/18 build Jnewboy did a while back. The Beetle is scheduled to be rolled back into a '43/'44 style.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:28 pm

[CAT]CplSlade: what are you using for the mud on the kettenkrad?
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:41 pm

I used actual mud from my yard.

I went out and found some dried, relatively smooth clay (Georgia is loaded with the crap) and ground it down to as close to a powder as I could get to eliminate giant clods that would look weird. Then I took a little Model Master clear acrylic coat and mixed it into the clay to make a paste which I then painted onto the model, trying hard to make the mud follow the path it would take on a real vehicle, i.e. I made the front tire splatter go up the chassis front and had most of it on the bottom of the treads and not so much up top to simulate how it would fall off as it passed over the wheels.

You can even mix in a little paint to alter the color if you want. I kept mine the brownish color that resulted - it actually darkened a bit once dry.

I looked at the MIG pigments a lot of people use for this but they cost a fair amount so in the finest Punk Rawk tradition I pulled a DIY.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:46 pm

That's an awesome idea and turned out really great, it sounds like something to try sense there's also a tot of red clay around here, I think I'll go to the store in the next week or so and find a cheep model tank or something and give this a try!
Great work!
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:44 pm

The Hasegawa 1/32 Tony kit you have was an absolute joy to build.. ;)
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

plasticgeneral
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by plasticgeneral » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:14 am

Hey, NICE stock pile! The only thing there I don't have is the Ardo sea plane.
But you have a lot of goodies there to look forward to.

Plastic General

Treadhead
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Treadhead » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:07 pm

[CAT]CplSlade wrote:Image

That fuselage and wing assembly did not want to go together; those older kits are a PITA. Cannot wait until I am done with all my old Revell kits and can devote myself just to new product. The Kettenkrad fit so well that some of the parts aren't even glued together - held together by the snuggly fit.

These are my choices for the next project plus my He 219 in the mail and a Trumpeter F6F-3N Hellcat I just bought for a ridiculously low price.

The Flakpanzer is going to be used for a project - the gun will go in the back of an Opel truck and the chassis will get the extra 88mm flak gun like the 1/18 build Jnewboy did a while back. The Beetle is scheduled to be rolled back into a '43/'44 style.
Very cool "collection" of old Monogram "Whitebox" kits man :)

I'm currently driving myself into debt trying to buy everyone I can on E-BAY
these days lol.

Between those and the old Aurora "Prehistoric Scenes" models that is :lol:

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:24 pm

Treadhead wrote:

these days lol.

I managed to get all of them fairly cheap; they are double what I paid nowadays, minimum.

You know, I had every "Scenes" kit except the Tyrannosaur, which was expensive to me (at the time - can't even imagine what one would go for now). Unfortunately, one magic summer while I was off at grandmother's my little brother hauled all of them outside, along with my large collection of Bandai 1/48 WWII armor, and waged a devastating war.

If I had known then that they (the kits) would soon vanish due to train wrecks and such, I might have strangled him.

Treadhead
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Treadhead » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:14 am

[CAT]CplSlade wrote:
Treadhead wrote:

these days lol.

I managed to get all of them fairly cheap; they are double what I paid nowadays, minimum.

You know, I had every "Scenes" kit except the Tyrannosaur, which was expensive to me (at the time - can't even imagine what one would go for now). Unfortunately, one magic summer while I was off at grandmother's my little brother hauled all of them outside, along with my large collection of Bandai 1/48 WWII armor, and waged a devastating war.

If I had known then that they (the kits) would soon vanish due to train wrecks and such, I might have strangled him.
AMEN!!! lol!

It breaks my heart to think of all the kits that my brothers and I destroyed in
our "wars" in the early 70's :cry:

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:33 pm

My Trumpeter F6F-3N Hellcat arrives tomorrow. $30 shipped. I now have a companion for the BBI Wildcat.