Need New Product Ideas. (Diecast)

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Need New Product Ideas. (Diecast)

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:09 am

Hey,
I'm going to be starting on a new diecast product line and ide like to get some ideas on what aircraft and scales people would be more interested in.
Please post your ideas!
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

Rowsdower
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Need New Product Ideas. (Diecast)

Post by Rowsdower » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:17 am

1:72 scale aircraft.
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

Ruger
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ruger » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:26 am

1:32 scale modern armor and softskins. Actually, Cold War era to modern era. It's a fairly neglected market. WWII is/has been done by so many. 1:72 is coming along, but a bit small for my liking. I've long stood by the idea that if the tracks don't move, I don't buy. 1:32 offers a good compromise in size where details can be decent (like 1:18), but features such as tracks. pivoting guns, and landing gear can still be included.

Just some thoughts.

MV
"When I went into Kuwait I had 39 tanks, after six weeks of air bombardment, I had 32 left. After 20 minutes in action against the M1's, I had none." Iraqi BN Cdr, 1991
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/CanteenX/Blowing-Smoke-sig.jpg[/img]

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:48 pm

1/32 Pre WWII to the present. Planes, vehicles, armor.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

jkinzel

Post by jkinzel » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:37 pm

First thing is NO NONE NADA Tigers and Panthers.WW2 French,Italians and Japanese,other Brits beside Churchill, then "Modern" AFV's Merkava,Leopard,T72,LeClerc,Chieftain,Centurion,etc,etc.

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:19 pm

Let's not forget about Japanese tanks. How about modern Chinese tanks?
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:03 pm

1/48 and or 1/32 WWII aircraft. Would say 1/72 but there are so many players in that scale that we really don't need another one.
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:28 pm

1:48 and 1:32, like Harry said. I also agree with the other suggestion of more armor from the other WWII combatants - Anything French, British, Japanese, and Russian. No more US or German armor. There are enough Shermans, Tigers, and Panzers.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:31 am

Please visit my site for updates and making suggestions.
www.sipesmodelling.weebly.com
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:38 am

I can only speak of aircraft, but If it's diecast I would say the best all around scale is 1:72. This way you can get bombers to go with fighters.

There are a few players out there, but much of what is or was produced is outdated.

For instance, you'd think there would be good examples of iconic planes out there to buy, but many are so substandard that there's a glut of crappy models. Not many will buy a Corgi 1:72 P-51D because it's so flawed. Then you have Dragon who made a beautiful P-51D, then quit producing them. Nearly the whole P-40 lineup except for the outdated Corgi P-40E is neglected with many variants and paint schemes.

Try to buy a 1:72 B-17 and you will see the prices up in the $300 to $500 range, yet Corgi won't get a clue and produce another.

Many planes have yet to be made and re-made. Hobbymaster and Skymax were producing some planes that had never been done before like the Kate, Val, Devastator, etc. yet seem to have stalled. Hobbymaster concentrating on 1:48 versions of iconic fighters now which is good, but you'll find a good majority of stuff in 1:72 needs revamping, or made for the first time.

The only other scale I'd be interested in is 1:32, but prefer such large planes to be made in plastic because of the weight. This scale has much potential in that area, but is neglected these days in pre-made pre-painted models. It seems to be emerging in popularity in build it yourself models, and for the first time there will be twin and four engine bombers like the B-25 and B-17. I can imagine getting my hands on these same planes only pre-made for me. I think the market is wide open in this scale as nobodies doing it much anymore like 21st Century Toys used to, and many planes to be done that never saw the light of day.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:14 pm

Try this link for this subject.
http://sipesmodeling.weebly.com/blog.html

binder001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by binder001 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:05 pm

I favor 1/32 WW2 armor. Despite what some say, I understand that you need some "good sellers" such as Panthers and Shermans to keep a line in production. It's nice to say "I want a Japanese WW2 tank" but how many will you buy at $60.00 each? I get sick of Tigers, but the darned things sell. Anyway, I recommend a mix of the "common" and the esoteric. A little odd stuff keeps interest in the line.

As far as US subjects (my personal favorite), here are some suggestions;
- US Army Harley or Indian motorcycle - used throughy WW2 but none available in 1/32nd scale.
- US M10 tank destroyer. Never done in 1/32nd, seen in the Pacific as well as in Sicily, Italy and ETO. Perhaps with some changes in the turret to provide "early" and "late" versions. This vehicle offers many paint schemes for US use as well as French, British, Polish, Soviet, etc.
- US 57mm AT gun. Liscenced produdtion of the British 6-pounder, but with longer barrel, US wheels, etc.
- late war Shermans such as the M4A3E8. These can also offer repaints for Korea, etc. Everybody else seems to offer early 75mm Shermans, the "Easy Eight" hasn't been available in 1/32nd yet.
- for post-WW2 we need an M48A3 "Patton". Main US tank in Vietnam for the US Army, the USMC and later the ARVNs. Could also be easily redone as an M48A5 for US and Israeli coloring. An M48A3 in 1/32nd would be a sizeable tank and look very impressive!
- to go with the above, the classic M113A1. Start with an APC or ACAV and go crazy from there. The repaints and variants are endless, but the chassis stays the same.
- British Centurion. What else can you say? An armor classic. Look at a modular system and you could do versions from Korea, the Mid-East, Viet Nam, and lots of repaint variations.

mountian-man
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by mountian-man » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:41 pm

1:48 scale aircraft please!!!

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:01 am

binder001 wrote:I favor 1/32 WW2 armor. Despite what some say, I understand that you need some "good sellers" such as Panthers and Shermans to keep a line in production. It's nice to say "I want a Japanese WW2 tank" but how many will you buy at $60.00 each? I get sick of Tigers, but the darned things sell. Anyway, I recommend a mix of the "common" and the esoteric. A little odd stuff keeps interest in the line.

As far as US subjects (my personal favorite), here are some suggestions;
- US Army Harley or Indian motorcycle - used throughy WW2 but none available in 1/32nd scale.
- US M10 tank destroyer. Never done in 1/32nd, seen in the Pacific as well as in Sicily, Italy and ETO. Perhaps with some changes in the turret to provide "early" and "late" versions. This vehicle offers many paint schemes for US use as well as French, British, Polish, Soviet, etc.
- US 57mm AT gun. Liscenced produdtion of the British 6-pounder, but with longer barrel, US wheels, etc.
- late war Shermans such as the M4A3E8. These can also offer repaints for Korea, etc. Everybody else seems to offer early 75mm Shermans, the "Easy Eight" hasn't been available in 1/32nd yet.
- for post-WW2 we need an M48A3 "Patton". Main US tank in Vietnam for the US Army, the USMC and later the ARVNs. Could also be easily redone as an M48A5 for US and Israeli coloring. An M48A3 in 1/32nd would be a sizeable tank and look very impressive!
- to go with the above, the classic M113A1. Start with an APC or ACAV and go crazy from there. The repaints and variants are endless, but the chassis stays the same.
- British Centurion. What else can you say? An armor classic. Look at a modular system and you could do versions from Korea, the Mid-East, Viet Nam, and lots of repaint variations.
I'm looking more into aircraft at this time, and more people are interested in 1/72 scale but, 1/48 may be a better oppion in getting the detail I want in there, retractable gear, and Bombay doors, open and closing canopies and doors, flaps, moving control surfaces, ect...
I'm just not sure I can fit that all in a 1/72 diecast but we will see, if not I'm going with 1/48, now from the ideas I've gotten from other people on what aircraft they would like to see this is what I've come up with so far,
MiG-17 in USSR Silver, MiG-19 USSR Silver, P-70 (haven't figured a scheme yet), PT-19 USAAF Yellow trainer, and some civil planes such as, Piper J-3 Cub, Piper Cherokee, Cessna 152 (possible bird dog), 172, and 182, maybe a Mooney, and a Lear Jet 43?
Those are just ideas for now, anymore ideas will be posted in the like I posted above^.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:11 am

I would think that a mixed line of 1:72nd and 1:48th scale warbird models makes the most sense. The smaller scale gives you much greater selectivity as to size---mediums and even some "biggies"----and there are many more buyers out there. The larger size would be more suited to planes like the F2A, P-26, etc. that have been made by Hobby Master and were well received by many collectors, as well as selected "iconics", such as a Hawker Typhoon, an early BF-109, a P-47, etc. Also candidates for this scale are a MC-200, Fiat CR.42, I-15 or 16, a Fokker D.XXI and many other "unusual subjects". Finally, I think that you might eventually venture into the 1:144th scale to put out larger subjects such as a FW-200, B-47, B-36, etc.
Last edited by Epap on Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Warbird Kid
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Warbird Kid » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:00 am

1/144 aircraft. Multi Engined. More niche examples. That or 1/18th spare parts for our aircraft.
Keep Em' Flying,
Christopher Soltis

Dedicated to the preservation and education of The Sikorsky Memorial Airport

CASC FB Page: http://www.facebook.com/ctairandspace
Warbird Wear: http://warbirdwear.com/

Chicks Dig Warbirds.......right?

miggles
Corporal
Corporal

Post by miggles » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:15 pm

Some 1:32nd helicopters and World War 2 tank destroyers and self propelled guns
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight... razor... and surviving."

-Col. Walter E Kurtz

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:53 pm

miggles wrote:Some 1:32nd helicopters and World War 2 tank destroyers and self propelled guns
What he said about the helicopters. Not much if anything out there in 1:32. You can buy old Revell 1:32 kits, but most these days are made in the funky armor scale of 1:35. :?

Just bought a 1:72 Corgi CH-47 Chinook, lucky to score a US Army one, but there are not much of those either in 1:72, though you can buy the CH-46 Sea King which is similar by Easy Model pre-made.

A 1:32 CH-47 Chinook would be something to behold, would weigh a ton, though there's nothing there in 1:48 either.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:01 pm

1/32 pleeeeeeease!!!!!!!!!!!
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

plasticgeneral
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by plasticgeneral » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:16 pm

All the MOST important, 1:32 WWII tanks and vehicles that have NOT been done yet in that scale.
Maybe, whenever possible, TANK INTERIORS.
Soviet, British, Italian, Japanese and French are pretty much untouched subjects.

Like TIME LIFE BOOKS, EVERY NEW die-cast release is mailed to your home every month.

The PLASTIC GENERAL
Christian Aldo 416-516-5457

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:00 am

plasticgeneral wrote:All the MOST important, 1:32 WWII tanks and vehicles that have NOT been done yet in that scale.
Maybe, whenever possible, TANK INTERIORS.
Soviet, British, Italian, Japanese and French are pretty much untouched subjects.

Like TIME LIFE BOOKS, EVERY NEW die-cast release is mailed to your home every month.

The PLASTIC GENERAL
Christian Aldo 416-516-5457
^whats this^

plasticgeneral
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by plasticgeneral » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:42 pm

"Whats this?" Helicopter Pilot?
It's called a telephone number, for those of us who are not terrified by an actual human voice.
If this guy is indeed real, I would love to strike up a telephone conversation with him about his plans and possible strategies. I think the monthly by mail tank club, is a great idea.
Too bad FOV. didn't do it for all its new tools, but even then, we would only get a new package every 4 months.

The Plastic General