Blohm & Voss 222.

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
snake
Officer - Brigadier General

Blohm & Voss 222.

Post by snake » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:35 pm

Just picked up this beauty. :D

1/72 assembled plastic kit, bought off Ebay.

The very impressive B&V 222 seaplane. A rare and very unique aircraft, and pretty large in 1/72 scale, with a 2 foot wingspan.

Have it displayed on one of pizzaguys 1/18 stands right now.

One of the largest aircraft made in WWII. Check out the turrets in the wings.

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Re: Blohm & Voss 222.

Post by cjg476 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:23 am

Like I said before Jack, THAT THING IS BEAUTIFUL. I been watching for a kit of that and a japanese "Emily" to build. I recently bought a paasche airbrush and those kits from Harry so my hands are full :lol: . I would love to see that in your collection it is huge!!!
Last edited by cjg476 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

snake

Post by snake » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:46 pm

Thanks for that, cjg.

She really is something to behold, and looks even better in person.

I know you got some kits from Harry. He had some pretty interesting ones for sale, including this BV222. Which ones did you get?

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:42 pm

I bought his He-177, FW-200 condor, and Ju-290 Seeadler. Im bulding the He-177 right now. I think Im going to turn the Fw-200 into Hitlers transport and do the 290 in a maritime role.

I would have bought his bv 222 but it was sold before I had a chance. I think it would be cool to do one in a mediterranean scheme as I heard they supplied the Afrika Korp with supplies.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

snake

Post by snake » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:28 pm

Those are three great Luftwaffe "Heavies", cjg. 8)

Well done, and good call on all three. Hard to pick a favourite out of those.

Hope they turn out well, and looking forward to some pics, when you have them finished.

Would love to see the He 177, or FW 200 done in diecast, but not holding my breath.

The BV 222 fought in a couple of theaters, and even shot down a US Liberator, over the Atlantic. That would have been quite the sight.

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:37 pm

I also wish they would make them in diecast, that would be awesome. And the He-177 is turning out ok, but its the first time I have used my airbrush so its been a learing experience.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed May 02, 2012 3:14 pm

wow that is really a nice model....must look impressive beside other 1/72 planes. Very nice, Snake.

i notice a bit of silvering around some of the decals, in the picture. I just had the same problem with an r/c beaufighter i put together. It's really a beautiful model when finished and had a very nice set of decals but i had the old silvering problem. I used every trick i know (gloss coated, micro set, gloss coat then flat coat) and couldn't get rid of it. I would have thought after all this time, silvering would be a thing of the past but sadly no. With all the pre-printed markings these days i'd pretty much forgotten all about silvering, until now.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

snake

Post by snake » Wed May 02, 2012 6:51 pm

Thanks aferg,

The "silvering" is much more prominent in that photo than it is in real person. Outdoor pic, angle etc. Displayed indoors, it really isn't noticeable at all.

I have a couple of "gap fillers" in plastic, including a 1/72 Ho229, and two 1/48 Do 335's, all done by our own Harry. :D

big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by big_mike » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:24 pm

I was wondering if anyone happened to know how much one of these kits is worth without its box. I was at a flea market the other day and bought 2 boxes of random models and parts, mostly unboxed. Turns out I have two of these completely sealed in plastic with decals and instructions. But I have no idea if anyone would be interested or what to ask for it. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Axis Nightmare

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:42 am

That is really nice :!:

Trying to imagine how much time and effort went into building it :?:

Also can't help but think how much precious fuel was sucked down by that monster in service. Doubt there were many and doubt they were used much late in the war.

That is also the largest plane that was made by Cruver Co., Chicago as a recognition spotter model (1/72 same size) for WW2.

Very unique and great find. :wink:

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

snake

Post by snake » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:54 pm

Thanks Axis Nightmare. :D

Have had her out on display ever since I got her.

Only 13 of these aircraft were ever built by Germany, and am sure they were very vulnerable in the last part of the war. A nice big target, for the Allied air forces enjoying total air supremacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blohm_%26_Voss_BV_222

Grognard
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Grognard » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:56 am

Impressive.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:04 am

That is very nice. 8) Can see the size with a hand in the photo, and for 1:72 it's huge! :shock:

Harry does nice work.

Been checking out the IXO 1:144 version.

Read that there were three survivors of this flying boat. I wonder if any survive today on display, in the Smithsonian perhaps? A shame if they scrapped them.
http://www.aviastar.org/air/germany/blohm_bv-222.php

Unlike the Hughes "Spruce Goose" which I saw when it was on display in California next to the Queen Mary, this plane was operational.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:10 am

aferguson wrote:wow that is really a nice model....must look impressive beside other 1/72 planes. Very nice, Snake.

i notice a bit of silvering around some of the decals, in the picture. I just had the same problem with an r/c beaufighter i put together. It's really a beautiful model when finished and had a very nice set of decals but i had the old silvering problem. I used every trick i know (gloss coated, micro set, gloss coat then flat coat) and couldn't get rid of it. I would have thought after all this time, silvering would be a thing of the past but sadly no. With all the pre-printed markings these days i'd pretty much forgotten all about silvering, until now.
In cases like this, it is likely that the areas where the decals were applied wasn't made glossy enough before application. When that happens, no amount of spraying will correct the problem. I have found that carefully brush painting over the silvered portions---not the markings, themselves---- with the appropriate colors, then brushing on some Future over the entire area is a possible solution. Once the paint and the Future is dry, I spray the whole area with DullCoat and, often, get the desired result.