" WHO MAKES THE BEST 1:32 AIRCRAFT ? "

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
plasticgeneral
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

" WHO MAKES THE BEST 1:32 AIRCRAFT ? "

Post by plasticgeneral » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:22 pm

" WHO MAKES THE BEST, PRE-BUILT 1:32 AIRCRAFT? "
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll break this down, in my opinion. I welcome contrasting views.

#1. 21st. CENTURY TOYS ++ Wide range, with lots of variants.
+ Good detail.
+ Good use of materials.
- Prone to breaking the landing gears and propellers.
++ Fantastic price points.
+ Removable pilots
* Should have constructed the landing gears and other weak parts out of metal.

#2. FORCES of VALOR -- Only made 4 different aircraft.
+ Good detail.
- Crude use of materials, there even heavier than the tanks.
-- The landing gear collapses or can sometimes break under it's own weight.
- Starting to get a little too pricey.
++ Features 2 pilots, one seated and one standing.

* You can only repaint your products so many times before you start pissing off the collectors.

#3. BLUE BOX TOYS --- Only made 2 different aircraft, very few repaints, if any.
Have never been re-issued.
+ Good detail.
++ Well constructed, good use of materials. Durable.
+++ Cleaver, interchangeable landing gear options. Sturdy.
+ Affordable.
+ Removable pilots.

* DAMN! I love their products, too bad they had to stop at two. Reissue please.

#4. CORGI + Decent range and variants.
+ Good detail.
+ Well constructed, but crude use of materials. Ridiculously heavy.
--- Ridiculously expensive!
-- Non removable pilots.
+++ Includes ground crews!

* Nice product, but at those prices, you can buy three 1:32 model kits.

Well, these are my views. If I left anything out, please feel free to break it down, I would like to hear some other opinions.

"The PLASTIC GENERAL"

Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: " WHO MAKES THE BEST 1:32 AIRCRAFT ? "

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:44 pm

Best 1/32 pre-built aircraft? There's not even a close second:

The BBI F-4J Phantom

The detail on that bird is absolutely the best in that scale, the paint quality is at the top or near the top, the representation of a F-4J, not just a F-4 Phantom, but the F-4J Phantom is at 98.99% and the actual paint scheme of VF-84's CAG jet from 1972 is exactly like it is shown in research photos. This model exceeds detail and accuracy of any 1/18 model

One of the reasons the accuracy and detail is so good is because they didn't go for retractable landing gears like the others did. Retractable landing gears for the price point we collectors are typically willing to pay cannot possibly be accurate and durable at the same time. BBI’s decision to go with pluggable gears was brilliant. I honestly think retractable gears on our models are overrated. The only company making 1/32 model kits with retractable gears that are dead on accurate is Tamiya with their Zero and Spitfire (with working oleo struts too) They are metal with poly caps. That still doesn’t make them durable. They are still very frail. However these kits cost close to $200 and remember these are kits. If Tamiya built these like BBI these kits would easily eclipse $500.

21st and the other BBI's (Dauntless and Wilcat) are very very nice indeed but their detail is less than the Phantom and accuracy overall is more like 75% (BBI's Wildcat and Dauntless are a little closer to 85% so 21st obviously brings down the average). Paint jobs on all are very good.

Corgi's are very nice too. Paint schemes are accurate and so are the basic details. But remember diecast cannot permit the high level of fine detail that injection molded plastic can do.

Hope this helps. I’ve collected from all of these companies and like them very much

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:50 am

Black Lion VF-213 wrote:Best 1/32 pre-built aircraft? There's not even a close second:

The BBI F-4J Phantom
Have to agree with you there... It's my favorite in the scale as well :D It out-does BBI's 1:18 scale jets. Hard to believe they come from the same company.

I think there was also GMP diecast that was very premium quality diecast WWII aircraft, but their planes were 1:35 scale, I think, so not strictly 1:32.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

snake

Post by snake » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:18 pm

Although the BBI 1/32 F-4 is a great model, it is a bit of a one off, at least for now.

Much like the Hobby Master 1/32 Dauntless, but that one comes in at least 6 different schemes.

Personally, I would have to go with Corgi for the best manufacturer in 1/32. Although expensive, they are almost all metal, have good detail and paint, and come with a good display stand. And they are all limited edition, with the run typically being about 1,000 units, so very collectable as well.

Although not 1/32, GMP does some fantastic models in 1/35, and their P-40's are stunning. Probably one of the best diecast models ever done by any manufacturer. 8)

Robert Scott's "Old Exterminator". Model comes with a good pilot figure as well, which is not in this pic.?

Displayed with the GMP diorama, which can be purchased separately.

DropTank
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by DropTank » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:43 am

Black Lion VF-213 wrote:Best 1/32 pre-built aircraft? There's not even a close second:

The BBI F-4J Phantom
Agree, hands down winner. All others are second fiddle to the Phantom.
FLY NAVY

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:32 pm

I agree 100%. Plug-in landing gear pieces are the way to go. Allows for more detail and no loss of realism required to make the gear retractable. Plus you still get your choice of gear up or down.
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.