Merit USS Hornet CV-8 Midway

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Merit USS Hornet CV-8 Midway

Post by 456THBG » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:04 pm

Giving serious consideration to pre-ordering one of these...Would appreciate feedback on overall satisfaction with the model, from owners of the Doolittle version.

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: Merit USS Hornet CV-8 Midway

Post by GooglyDoogly » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:18 am

Bought one a couple of weeks ago. I got the Doolittle version. Just as I thought, it's just a built and painted version of the Trumpeter 1/350 USS Hornet kit. which means that it's EXTREMELY FRAGILE.

The paint job is pretty good, but the dark wash is pretty sloppy. Colors are not 100% accurate, but they're good enough.

The downside of this model is it's apparent that when they were building this kit, they didn't bother cutting the parts off the sprues cleanly, hence, there's a lot of flash, sink marks, etc etc all over the place.

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:35 am

Thanks for the feedback, GD...It does give me pause, though...Maybe they'll "fine tune" the Midway version?

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:41 am

I hope so. I would like to clarify that if you are a modeler, the problems I stated can be rectified. Mine came with a broken mast, even though the box is near mint, and has no damage whatsoever. Thankfully, I have spares from when I built the Trumpeter kit into a late '42 USS Enterprise.

To be honest, this is a great buy. The Trumpeter kit cost around $90-$150 dollars, so having a fully built and painted Hornet model is a great, considering it's extremely tedious to paint her unusual camouflage.

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:34 pm

Overall I am quite pleased with my model and would recommend it. Pretty much what I would have to say in terms of a review has already been said... The Merit model is a pre-built Trumpeter kit, but without the finer details such as railings and rigging. (I suspect those could be added...) It costs about the same as the kit and saves one building time and painting.

I got the Doolittle version back in December with some extra B-25s to make the full 16 that go on the deck. The model is very well-detailed and very fragile. Mine arrived with a broken masts and a broken AA gun as well, though all parts were found in the box and were easily fixable. The box had been opened at Badcat to insert an extra package of B-25s, but I don't think they broke the parts and had even tapped one of them into the box so it didn't get lost.

I plan to eventually get the packages of the F4Fs, Dauntlesses, and Devestators so that I can alternate between displaying my model as the Doolittle or Midway version.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:16 pm

Thanks, TMan, for the input...Appreciate you guys responding.

big_mike
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by big_mike » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:57 pm

I've got one of these pre-ordered as well. I'm glad to know what to expect. I just hope they get around to releasing them, date on badcat has been pushed back 3 times now.

Gambit
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Gambit » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:11 pm

I placed an order for the 70th Anniversary Edition of the Doolittle Raid.
Hopefully it will arrive in one piece

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:15 pm

Now that the Doolittle Anniversary edition has been announced, may go for that one...

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:34 am

you're probably better off with the Doolittle version. From the pics i've seen, the Midway version still has the double stripes down the left side of the flight deck, that is on the Doolittle version. That was painted there to help keep the b-25 pilots from hitting the island during taxi and take off and was painted out by the battle of Midway. The production model may change this, however.

What is the anniversary Doolittle one? It says it has the pilot's names on the sides of the aircraft?? Do they mean that each of the 16 aircraft is individually marked in the correct markings?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:39 am

I'm saying this off the top of my head, but I think the new Doolittle version has aircraft with their individual nose art on them (i.e. Ruptured Duck, etc.). On the back of the box, there are 16 cards detailing the aircraft and crews. The model of the Hornet itself should be pretty much the same as the others that have been released.

The changes are neat, but not enough for me to warrant another purchase. Still, it will be great for those who haven't gotten one yet and will add value to the product. The one ship I have with the 16 unmarked B-25s is good enough for me, though I may eventually get some of the TBDs, SBDs, and F4Fs so I can create an alternate display as the Midway version.

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:29 pm

Just got my Doolittle 70th Anniversary Hornet today...Only one of the 16 planes has any nose art, and 12 of the 16 are tail heavy, so I have had to lightly glue, w/Elmers white glue, the nose wheel to the deck - Not happy about that! And the nose gear is so fragile that I swear if you look at it wrong, it will fall off (it actually did on the only plane that had nose art - I have not been able to find it yet!)
Not clear on where the auxillary boats go as there were no instructions in the box...
I have never been one to complain, even when the models were less than perfect, but this one was a little dissapointing.
Hoping it will grow on me once I get past this initial frustration.

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:40 am

OK, so here's the final product...I think the crew profiles make a nice background...The Elmers glue worked great, just a dab on the front wheel, dries invisible...Think it will be fine afterall.

Gambit
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Gambit » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:26 am

Looks really neat displayed with the crew pix.
Do you have to damage the box in order to remove it?
Are the planes packaged seperately?

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:59 am

Gambit wrote:Looks really neat displayed with the crew pix.
Do you have to damage the box in order to remove it?
Are the planes packaged seperately?
Yes, the box no longer exists...The only boxes I keep anymore, anyway, are the Franklin Mint & Corgi ones.
The planes were packed in two groups of 6 and one group of four...As I said earlier, omly one plane had unique markings, the other 15 did not.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:38 pm

that's a really nice display. Why is there a heinkel 111 on the right, though?

does the lower hull detach, so that you can make a waterline display?

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Tue May 01, 2012 7:14 am

aferguson wrote:that's a really nice display. Why is there a heinkel 111 on the right, though?

does the lower hull detach, so that you can make a waterline display?
Wow, hoped no one would notice the Heinkel! Should have known :D , but my naval carrier books didn't fit in that spot!
As far as I know the hull doesn't detach, although I have not tried it...There was no waterline option that I am aware of...

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue May 01, 2012 1:05 pm

Having one of these myself (the original, not the special edition) I can say the hull is all one piece and does not detach.

Nice display as well, 456THBG :D

snake

Post by snake » Tue May 01, 2012 10:00 pm

Nice display, 456THBG. 8)

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed May 02, 2012 3:26 pm

ha......sorry to rat you out on the heinkel, 456, it just happened to catch my eye as i was studying your display.

no waterline option eh, too bad.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:55 am

ok, so is this thing worth getting? I've found the Merit Hornet for a good price; this is the original version not the special ed. Shipping to Canada is a bit steep and i'll get nailed a bit with Customs fees.

So, the grand total will be about $170. Is it worth that?

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:38 pm

Aferg, to me it would be worth it...It is the only naval vessel I have, and I only got it because of the Doolittle tie-in. It is a really nice model, though it is very simplistic - No rigging of any type, really not much detail on the carrier...But the B25s, considering their tiny size, are amazingly well done, excellent paint, markings, etc.
Seems like everything I buy lately (new Corgi 1/32 Mosquito included) cost between $150 - $200...

snake

Post by snake » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:28 pm

aferguson wrote:ok, so is this thing worth getting? I've found the Merit Hornet for a good price; this is the original version not the special ed. Shipping to Canada is a bit steep and i'll get nailed a bit with Customs fees.

So, the grand total will be about $170. Is it worth that?

One of the few ship models I would actually consider myself.

Mostly due to the tie in with the B-25 "Doolittle" raid.

$170, all in, is not a bad price, as the entire hobby is significantly more expensive than it was just a few years ago. And not just 1/18.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:06 pm

Its an accurate renditioning of a naval vessel and the 1:350 scale really makes it display nice. I've got a number of 1:700 scale ships (including a USS Hornet) and the Merit ship has the size and detail factor going for it that simply out-does the smaller ships. The cost of the pre-built model is pretty much the same as the Trumpeter kit (which is identical to Merit's Hornet, but with some finer details) and you don't have to build the Merit model.