What would make you buy the same item more than once?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.

What would make you buy something you already have again?

If I am a fan of it -- Tigers, Shermans, P-51s, etc, I'll buy every one that comes out
43%
If the camo/gear is sufficiently different from the one I have
43%
If the figs were great -- like casualties! Civilians! Historical figures!
4%
Accessories -- I want stuff for my dioramas!
9%

Total votes: 23

Law
Corporal
Corporal

What would make you buy the same item more than once?

Post by Law » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:08 am

I saw the new FOV Stug in 1943 Eastern Front camo the other day, and I noticed it came with one of the accessories from the Europe-only accessory packs -- the road blockade. The new camo Panzer comes with the opening gate (but not the gatehouse)

I'm not that crazy about the camo, and I am not a big Stug fan, but I wanted that gate so badly I was tempted all the same. Also saw the new Panther, and the Germans that come with it had me salivating, even though I'm perfectly happy with my 32X Panther.

So it got me thinking -- what do people here think about this? What would make you buy something you already have a second time?

Eazy
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Eazy » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:04 am

I bought that Stug because i liked the camo scheme and it had the roadblock so it was a win win situation. I'd also really recommend the panther if you are tempted. The figures are great and the tank itself is weighty and a real improvement over the 32x version in my opinion.

I would definitely buy more repaints if they came with good new figures and accesories.

ltcbj
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ltcbj » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:01 am

I bought five Stugs at Wal-Mart. I did so because they were comparatively cheap and I can customize them myself. I also have three of the first Tigers, four PzIV-Gs, four Abrams and five Bradleys. In 21stC I have (or had) a full company of Tigers. a dozen Panthers, lots of 222s and 251s. I figure: get 'em early before the price goes up and customize myself if I want variety. Why pay FoV $40++ for a stupid repaint re-issue up-priced version of the same vehicle? Of course I recognize that the new FoV version may have something special or/and be painted and weathered more professionally than I can do- but still, I feel taken when I see the same thing, over and over with just a new paint job....
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c315/photbug/image6.jpg[/img]
On your mark! Get set! Lunch....
Want your own website? PM me!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:16 am

I try to keep myself from buying repeats with these products, but sometimes I just can't help it when there are cool repaints that often are better than the origional that I purchased.

I bought a 32x "Red 3" FW-190, then had to get the "Black 1" when that came out - both are pretty cool schemes and I love the FW-190D9. I also doubled up on the 32x ME-262, having the origional and now a much better painted "White 5" version.

So, to answer the question, a superior repaint or product improvement would make me buy an item a second time.

binder001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

adaptability...

Post by binder001 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:07 pm

you missed a concept, "convertability". I have bought several Shermans from 21C and FoV for conversion or parts sources. Same for Jeeps. Rather than worrying about how the importer has them painted, I modify and repaint my own.

Tshintl
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: adaptability...

Post by Tshintl » Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:28 am

binder001 wrote:you missed a concept, "convertability". I have bought several Shermans from 21C and FoV for conversion or parts sources. Same for Jeeps. Rather than worrying about how the importer has them painted, I modify and repaint my own.
That sounds like me. I buy multiples of the more common tanks (Shermans, etc.) and convert them into what I want.

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:59 pm

If it's cheap,I load up on them. I will customize quite a bit of my toys because
I use them for war games, but I keep some in boxes for trading purposes.

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

p51
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Post by p51 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:00 pm

Those sky pilot 1:48 scale aircraft... I actually have 10 of the Blue Nosed P-51D Mustangs all hanging near the cieling on the wall like border trim. A nail fits in perfectly to the tail gear section.

But yes, I'd buy multiples if they're cheap enough. Heck, I have three of the exact same F/A-18C Hornet from BBi! If I had the money, I would have bought all 6 Blue Angels (rather than just one).

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:20 pm

Repaints are OK to a point. If they are varying and not too many then I am likely to purchase several different ones. If there are great accessories then that may influence my decision too.
Todd

Bruzzer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Bruzzer » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:59 am

For a while I would say I was only going to buy one. Then I would have to hunt around later to buy/eBay the plane/tank. Now I figure I'll just buy it even if I don't have the room and I can get rid of it later if I don't want it. That has never happenned yet.
If they made a 1/18 Thunderbirds I'd buy 6 today(don't tell my wife). I'll worry about the space later.

Jagdplastic
Sergeant
Sergeant

RE: ...buy another one...

Post by Jagdplastic » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:42 pm

FOV is making their S2 offerings very tempting with the figures included with the vehicles. Check out the Fetco site (you'll need to do some scrolling) for views of the new Wirbelwind, S2 Hanomag 251/1, S2 motorcycle, etc. I want FOV to manufacture an infantry set using the same mold characteristics as for their vehicle crews.

http://www.fetco1.homestead.com/FOVpage2-2005.html

Eazy
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Eazy » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:38 pm

I agree the figures in some of the latest releases, the wirbelwind, panther, zundapp and hanomag have been excellent.

The US halftrack disappointingly only had one figure but i've found the driver from last years Bastogne Jeep is perfect for adding behind the wheel.

I would definately buy a repaint if it had exciting new figures. The Normandy hanomag and Poland Zundapp are so different from their previous versions that they are like new vehicles.