1:72 Collecting Question

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Dauntless
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: 1:72 Collecting Question

Post by Dauntless » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:06 am

It was a US seller. He had it in a weird section that didn't come up on a regular search. It ended in the middle of the work day. I bid from work.

I can't believe the prices people are getting for the B-25. :shock: The highest is the Doolittle of course which is way beyond $200, and the Black 310 blue one fetches more than the Heavenly Body too. When I see those prices I don't feel so bad about the $157 (ouch) I had to fork over.
That one tapped me out for a few days, but I don't think I'll regret it. I sold a bunch of toys last week so it's not so bad, with more on there now, and a couple of rare SW things that will fetch the same I spent this week.

I have the Vraciu and Catmouth BBI 1:18 planes, so maybe get a Corgi Catmouth. That HM Minsi McCambell Hellcat is on my list too.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:35 am

That price is a little high but I'd probably willing to pay that too for Heavenly Body.

This is the painful pinch in the pocket we have to go thru for starting late in the diecast game, if we're even lucky to find one to buy that is
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:10 pm

That's the thing, if you can even find one, then you have to fight someone for it. It's the auction process. When I bid I do so to win, but sometimes it goes as high as your bid like this one did. :?

Not too many made at 1300 total. I guess it just depends on the scheme, whether you can get it at good low price when you bid. I'm still glad I got it. It is mint in box never displayed, so basically new.

One seller has the tri-color B-25 on there for 2 weeks now at $189.00 buy it now. I think that's way too high but you never know. Still like to have that scheme too.

The new Hobby Master 1:144 B-24's are nearly $70, it kind of puts things in perspective, but then again when you can pre-order the Merit 1:18 Dauntless for $149 with free shipping which I did, your perspective gets dicombobulated. :lol:

snake

Post by snake » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:50 pm

If it makes you feel any better Dauntless, these will only continue to go up in value, so the sooner you get one at a price you are willing to pay the better.

The Corgi mediums and heavies, and even the 1/32, seem to be the surest bet of any diecast manufacturer that I know of, to appreciate over time, with the most desirable schemes really performing well. They are actually a good investment, as they are limited edition, and have global appeal. And once they are gone from retailers, the secondary/Ebay market takes over. For a new release you might have to wait a couple of years, maybe more, but you can make some money on these. I have a couple of multiples that I am hanging on to, as the price will only continue to increase. Although I only do this if I can get them at good prices to start off with.

When you end up bidding on one of these hard to get, and desirable models, as long as you are happy with the price you paid, that is the only thing that counts. And you will be proud to see it on display. :D

Be nice to hear your review and impressions when Heavenly Body arrives, Dauntless.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:42 am

Hey guys, low and behold I won a Lancaster
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290679426051?ss ... _500wt_951

Not too bad a price. The shipping was high, but the total with shipping was a lot lower than getting a new one.
Missing the little nose antenna (pitot tube?) Hopefully I can get one somewhere. I had read Corgi can get you replacement parts if you have the certificate of authenticity. If not maybe one from a model.

Think I'm going to try and knock off a few of these bombers if they are reasonable. Like the B-24, Catalina and HE-111. Though the nose turret Liberator looks a little wonky, the early versions are exceptable.

I remember seeing the "909" B-17G when it came out, I said to myself "too bad I don't collect 1/72 anymore" now from what I've read it's the most coveted Flying Fortress, and in OD green, the best looking, perfect scheme I've seen. :?

snake

Post by snake » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:46 pm

Well done Dauntless. :D

A good price, and the missing antennae or pitot tube is very small, and you will not notice it at all, unless you get within 6 inches of the model. When you get the model, you will see what I mean.

KMB was a 6000 unit release, so really high production run on this one, and a big reason why this one is one of the cheapest. However, like I said, the regular Bomber Command Lancs all look very similar to each other, and unless you are looking for a particular squadron or pilot, a smart move to go for the cheapest one available. :wink:

Congrats on getting a Lanc, as these are one of the most coveted models done by Corgi, and are a real standout in any display. I think you will be very happy with it.

And now that you have your first heavy, easy to pick up some others. :lol:

You know about the nasty join line on the later model B-24's with the nose turret. Stay away from the MNF ones as the join really shows up on these, but the OD ones are not as bad. Best to go for one of the glass nose early versions, at least as your first.

You are right about the B-17, 9-0-9. Great scheme, and really wish I had picked this one up a few years ago. The last one went for $565 on Ebay. :shock: Crazy money, but I have a couple of OD B-17's, so have that area covered. The second most expensive B-17 is " Bit O Lace", have seen these go for $400. Fortunately, I picked this one up a number of years ago, and was my first B-17.

I just watched a show about Bomber Command, and the Lancaster in particular. It was a BBC production, and called "Bomber Boys". Hosted by Ewan McGregor, and had his brother, who is an ex RAF Tornado pilot, actually fly the Lancaster. Great footage of the Lanc, and it was very well done, and I would highly recommend it. 8) Available for download here.

http://kat.ph/bomber-boys-hd-webrip-xvi ... 68638.html

Let us know your impressions of the Lancaster when it arrives.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:29 pm

6000, no wonder they don't want to release any more of the regular Lancs.
Now they are on the oddball versions without top turrets. Even the Dambuster version is without a dorsal turret. Then there's the daylight raid one without a front turret.

All the regular Lancs look the same anyways except some nose art and squadron markings, and like you say if you're after a particular squadron. so I think I can live with this one.

Just so happens my last name is Rhodes so this "Rhodesia" squadron will be ok I'm guessing. :lol:

You can still get the "Sky Witch" B-24. Interesting history on that one, and a Pacific OD green scheme too. That front nose though makes them look like a rhino. Only a couple of glass nose versions. My as well forget about the "Strawberry Bitch" she's a hot one, and a small fortune, but the other Polesti raid B-24 "Ball of Fire" (not a good name for an flamable Liberator imo) seems to be less and is very nice looking, a little less Kermit the Frog green than Skywitch and more of a normal OD green.

Two bombers in a row tapped me out for a little while though, but still it's hard to pass on a good deal if I find them.

Corgi needs to release another OD Green B-17 G with the chin turret. I don't know what it is, but other than an occasional fighter I just don't like the silver planes, especially bombers.

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:55 am

Nice score on the Lanc Dauntless, at great price to boot 8)

Its cool that there is the connection with your name. Rhodesia was one of the schemes on my wanted list, like you I only wanted a regular Lanc, with the dambusters a distant alternative. I managed to finally get the Cheshire Lanc a little more than a year ago so I don't really need another

The Phantom of the Ruhr was the one I really really wanted and still wanting it. Its a UK Modelzone exclusive and I had the chance to get one when it was still available on the website. Their email system had a lot of screw-ups, hemmed and hawed on the shipping costs when I finally got thru and decided instead to ask my relative in London to get one for me in the shop as they were coming to vist me. Well, that plan failed miserably, which I shall not elaborate, by the time I went back to the site to order it was sold out! I kicked myself so hard my ancestors let out a yelp.

I have had hard luck and made bad decisions on every single Corgi heavy that I wanted when given the opportunity. Lesson learned and hope to have a chance again to fill in the gaps on my heavies

Cjg476 has been pretty quiet, wonder if he's busy buying more planes? :lol:
"Be Water, My Friend..."

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:42 am

HI Gouchy,
No Im here. I have branched out into armor. I picked up a few dragon armor pieces at my hobbytown here. I got an initial production tiger 1 and a mid production and two different hanomags with pak 40's, a stug and another regular hanomag. Im addicted to the 1/72 scale. Now my luftwaffe has an Wehrmacht to support it.

I also have been spending the last week at the kitchen table painting my airfix 1/72 paratroopers and luftwaffe crew.

Im still waiting on my gemini aces 109 flying tiger exclusive to come in. Seems like its taking forever.

I have slowed down on planes. I have to get my head on straight. I think Im going to go into American fighters next.
Last edited by cjg476 on Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:55 pm

I've been looking at support vehicles. Not much out there, but there is a Hobbymaster RAF blue fuel truck. a few ambulances and jeeps. Some Johnny Lightning 1:64 staff cars and pickups might work.

Anybody display mixed scales of 1:72 planes and 1:64 vehicles together?

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:39 am

Cjg476,

Good to hear you're still busy with 1/72 8)

Not surprising about being addicted to 1/72, there is so much good quality choices out there that there seems to endless stuff to collect :D

I too collect 1/72 armor and Dragons seems to be the best in balance of quality and price though it has gotten more expensive for new releases. But there are still bargains to be found if you are diligent and you should grab them if the opportunity came up.

I have been looking around at Panzersthal, Ixos and others but still a little in the dark if these were worth punting on. These seems reasonable to get some armor that has not been done by others or if same ones costs a lot more from other manufacturers.

I'm still a relative armor novice collector and been only buying the usual suspects like Dragon Tigers and Panthers. Heard good things about the Dragon Shermans and that is one tank sorely missing in my collection. But there are so many variants of Shermans its mind boggling! :lol:
"Be Water, My Friend..."

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:04 am

Gouchy,

I to wonder if Panzersthal, Ixos are a good brand. I had seen some different vehicles in there I liked but am to afraid to buy without knowing. I had a small dragon Armor collection before I started collecting these aircraft and now that I have the "fever" I got them all out again.

I found my local hobbytown sells them cheap and I bought a few last weekend when I went that I didnt have and paid a nice price without having to pay shipping. I was happy to know they had the new releases in, or most of them. I also took my wife and daughter shopping so it was win-win.

My collection is all German too, with the exception of a FOV Dragon Wagon and an Easy Model sherman from Hobby Lobby. I dont mind collecting that brand but my Hobby Lobby doesn't sell Armor anymore. :(

I have also been looking at the Caesar Miniatures pre-painted and assembled troops. They dont look bad.

Some Dragon Armor I dont get the price of no matter how exclusive it is. Like the Micheal Wittmann tiger w/crew. Seems mind blowing its listed for $200-$400. I like Armor but not that much. :lol: Thats a ton of other stuff I can buy.

Also I been on this thread everyday. I really enjoy conversing with you guys. Its like having friends who enjoy talking about and collecting just like me that is hard to find here in the real world. Its just nice to take my mind off stuff and enjoy some 1/72.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

snake

Post by snake » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:35 pm

Can't really help you out with the 1/72 armour, cjg476, as I only have about 15 pieces, and these are either 1/32 FoV, or 1/35 Dragon, and one Minichamps.

My understanding is that the Panzerstahl, and Ixo/Altaya, are more budget brands, but on a positive side, have budget prices.

There have been some serious rumblings about the cost of the latest HM 1/72, and given the size, I would tend to agree.

Member Panzer_M is a big AFV collector, and seems to have a ton of stuff from various manufacturers. He would be the guy to ask, IMO. Epap also has a bunch of different armour, in various scales, and could give you some good advice as well. Shoot them a pm. :wink:

How's your painting skills with those very small Airfix paratroopers, and Luftwaffe crew? They are small, and tough to do. I assume the Fallschirmjager are for your Corgi Ju 52.

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:37 pm

Snake,
I can only manage to do about four soldiers every three nights. :lol: I have to paint some parts of the men, let them dry and the next night go back and finish.

You are correct, they are for my ju-52 airfield diorama. I completed the hangar but I dont like the way it looks, but it looks good. I think I can do better. I want it to actually look as realistic as possible.

I agree the prices are getting steep. I cant imagine collecting 1:144 and paying $60+ dollars for a bomber. I used to collect cando pocket army stuff and that was awesome affordable. The prices just keep climbing. Are we buying gold for gosh sakes?

I got alot of the planes I want you guys know that. So right now Im just buying armor because I love it to and its still not to bad at $17-$25 a piece. And at my Hobbytown you even get a $5 coupon and no shipping so its easier than ebay right now.

I posted in the diecast hanger pub hoping there would be some dealers on there I could buy lots from but no one responded back. I didnt ask in here because I know what few guys are into 1/72 as the four of us always converse and I dont think any of you sell. :lol:

I have two collections now-Star Wars and 1/72 and I will die before I give either up, no matter what the price. Well maybe. :shock:
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:11 pm

Picks of my Corgi Swordfish

By sbdauntless at 2012-03-15
IMG]http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/2936/swordfish2.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/1236/swordfish3y.jpg[/IMG]

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:12 pm

I'll get this photo thing down eventually. That torpedo is not pink. :lol:

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:46 pm

Nice pics. Now I want one, its in the same paint as my coastal defense bristol blenheim. I need to figure out how to put pics on here so I can show you guys my collection.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

snake

Post by snake » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:08 pm

Great looking, and historic Swordfish, Dauntless.

Love the scheme, and the rigging looks nice and tight. No wonder this one gets great reviews.

And seems you have tempted cjg476 to get back into aircraft, at least temporarily. :lol:

jlspec
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by jlspec » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:07 pm

If you are looking for 1/72 Dragon Wings or Dragon Armor you might want to check Great Models http://www.greatmodels.com They are being acquired by another company and have some pretty good prices

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:22 am

Thanks JLSPEC. I think Im going to get some of there stuff, almost half off.

On another note, got my hans joachim marseille Bf-109 today. It is BEAUTIFUL :shock: and the box it comes in is amazing. So Ive made the decision to leave it in the box. I will take it out here and there but I made it a space on my shelf so people can be whats in that box. Then I will have a story. It was worth the $68 to me. Im thinking about getting there P-51 exclusive now.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:05 am

That's some good deals jlspec, thanks.
I was checking ebay for similar prices and the deals are there also for some of the models, but not all.

I browse the diecast forums for examples of certain aircraft to see which ones are the best and which ones have issues.

I read that some of the Dragon models have some things that are no bueno, like the Fw-190 has no headrest in the cockpit, the 109 has no dihedral etc. (is that just the E or is it the G model too?)

I also read that Dragon makes the best P-47 Razorback, and already having bought one, I think the Wildcat is excellent and also the best example out there I do believe.

Maybe start making a list of the best popular aircraft that are made by multiple makers?
For instance,

P-51B/C - Gemini Aces
Hellcat - Hobby Master
Wildcat - Dragon Wings
P-47 Razorback - Dragon Wings

...etc. am I wrong so far? Are there better ones?

There's other commonly made fighter aircraft I would like to pick up that I don't know who makes the best examples like the Spitfire (though many variations) Not many Hurricanes out there but I don't like the Corgi one with the removable engine cover, though I'm reading they have a new tooling. Who makes the best P-51D, P-47 Bubbletop, BF-109 (all the variations E, F, G etc.?)

I've been buying the obscurities for the most part, but will be getting some more commonly known aircraft as soon as I can.

Congrats on the Marseille BF-109 Cjg. 8)

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:04 pm

Very nice buys guys!

Cgj, that marseille me109 is one I have been sitting on for a long time, always seem to be other planes to buy and never quite getting to it. Would be great too see your dio that you're working on :D

Dauntless, that swordfish is sweet! 8) Love the way the swinging wings is wonderfully and subtly done, totally opposite to the Gaincorp Sea Flanker with its huge hinges

Jlspec, thanks for the link, prices are attractive I should poke around and see how is their intl shipping rates are like, which could possibly be prohibitive once factored in.

Here's my opinion on preferred brand of some of the more popular US WW2 fighters, besides those already mentioned by Dauntless which I think is spot on

P-51D - Dragon. Matchbox makes a good mustang too but they only do gear up option
P-38 - Corgi. I heard good things about Matchbox too but I've never bought one from them
P-47D - Dragon. I have and love Matchbox's take on the Gabreski camo with D-day stripe scheme.
P-39 - HM.
P-40 - Corgi. Ixo's the only one to have a P-40N. Matchbox I have heard are quite good.
F4U - Both Corgi and Dragon are excellent but Dragon edged out because of fiddly gear bits. I have 3 Dragons & 5 Corgis, my 6th Corgi is on its way 8)

I think Matchbox did some fantastic molds even though its only gear up. A real pity they don't make these anymore.

As for the Commonwealth, Russian, German, Japanese and Italians, I'll chime in later if nobody has done so :D
"Be Water, My Friend..."

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:04 pm

Gouchy,

I would love to show the diorama off but I want it to look good so its going to be awhile.

You should buy the Marseille 109 it is beautiful. The box alone is amazing. Has a little snap button on the bottom, much larger than there normal box. When you open it, it has a cushion padded square and you take that out and there is "the star of afrika" a very beautiful piece. I am glad I got it. I think I have number 103 to I think. Which doesnt seem to look like they are selling fast if they go to #504. Stop procrastinating and buy it. So years from now I can hear you say Im glad I got one, instead of saying I wish I would have bought one.

The 109's hard to tell which is the best. I like Gemini aces the most. My corgi is awesome to just dont like the landing gear on it. And dragon seems good with the optional open closed cockpit. I bought some HM german pliots and put one in it. I think each one of them has there own unique look. Hard to choose between.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

snake

Post by snake » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:09 pm

Glad you are quite impressed with you GA Marseille 109, cjg476.

Always great to get an exclusive, commissioned model, and gives you a certain pride in owning one.

Just because you got 103/ 504 doesn't mean that 102 have been sold before. They don't sell them in chronological order, and as the certificate is inside the box, sheer luck of the draw as to which number you get. You could easily have gotten 503/504 instead. And once they have been sold out, the prices on these are sure to climb.

I only have one Gemini Aces model, a Royal Navy Phantom that flew off the Ark Royal. The packaging on this one was also very nice, as is the display stand. Gemini Aces first Phantom, and limited to 750 units. Quite impressed with it, and almost Hobby Master quality, but the landing gear, and doors, are "fiddly". Never the less, a great Royal Navy Phantom.

http://www.aikensairplanes.com/gemini%2 ... a_4001.htm

BTW, I checked the Flying Tigers site, and their GA exclusive P-51 "Princess Elizabeth" is down to 6 units in stock. So you might want to consider getting this one from them pretty quickly. It is a Bluenoser, and a more rare in diecast, P-51C.

http://www.flying-tigers.co.uk/acatalog ... Jan07.html

Glad to see you guys are not being specific and loyal to just one manufacturer, and checking out some different companies. And as Dauntless has pointed out, certain manufacturers do certain aircraft, better than others.

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:54 pm

Thought I would let you guys know went ahead and picked up some more dragon armor from the Great Model Website. A tiger and king tiger.

Also Dave finally got the new website up for aikens airplanes. Looks great. Said it should be done in a couple weeks.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx