1:72 Collecting Question

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

1:72 Collecting Question

Post by cjg476 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:10 pm

Hey guys,
I was wondering if 1:72 corgi were good products to collect? I love 1:18 but the hobby is getting more expensive and Im thinking about selling off my collection and moving into 1:72 dragon armor and corgi aviation as well as other 1:72

I love to build dioramas and thought it would be cheaper and easier to keep and I like alot of it but have never owned any of the corgi stuff but do have some dragon and hobbyboss armor I believe. Just wanting your imput on what some of you collectors think.

I like the corgi stuff like the me-110's the ju-52's and other stuff...so let me know what you think. Thanks Corey
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: 1:72 Collecting Question

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:32 pm

1:72 Corgi items are great. They are sort of the granddaddy of the small scale diecast market, having produced diecast busses and vehicles since the 1960s and expanding into the diecast military world since a decade ago. Products tend to hold their value, with out-of-production items often being hard to find and expensive.

Corgi still brands itself as an exclusive collector line, so don't expect Wal Mart prices. They are as yet are one of the only companies producing the large heavy bombers in 1:72. They also produce a myriad of other military items, from 1:48 WWI aircraft and a whole range of 1:72 WWII aircraft and modern jets, and 1:32 WWII aircraft. Then three are the 1:50 scale WWII tanks. Their items have a large amount of diecast in the construction, are usually accurate toolings, have figures in the cockpits, and the landing gear and ordinance options. As a British company, they have a heavier leaning towards British aircraft and vehicles. The items do not have as much functionality as some of the Hobby Master pieces until you get into the larger scales.

I mostly use my Corgi items as display pieces (all 1:72 and 1:48 aircraft). Corgi has made some items that have display/diorama potential. There are some 1:72 bombers that have ground crew figures, as well as many of the 1:32 pieces. (I'm looking at my 1:32 mosquito with ground crew loading a bomb). Those would be exellent for dioramas 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:47 pm

Yes tman that mosquito would be awesome to have, so lucky. Thanks for the feedback. I think thats what Im going to get into. I want to display them. Have them on my shelves. There seem to be so many different paint schemes and thats what I like alot of different theaters of war. Now to decide if I should sell of my 1:18 or hold onto them. Such decisions.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:54 am

I think it best to consider each desired model individually regarding the manufacturer to opt for rather than throwing in one's lot with a Corgi, Hobby Master or some other brand on an across-the-board basis. For example, Corgi's Swordfish, Lysander, Gladiator, ME-262B and the new Hurricane and Spitfire MK Is as well as the Hart are excellent replicas, however its BF-110 is a hybrid which has been much criticized. Many of the older Corgi models, such as the Zero, BF-109E and F4U have major issues compared to more recent renditions; others, like the Stuka, while receiving much praise, have key features missing ---such as wing machine guns and pitot heads. In certain cases, however, you have no choice as Corgi's Wellington----a nice model---and Lancaster---also very good----are the only games in town. The same can be said for the B-17, B-24, Halifax, Blenheim, HE-111, JU-88 and DO-17Z. It's Corgi or nothing.

I would suggest doing comparative evaluations of Corgi, Hobby Master, Dragon, Witty, Gemini and SkyMax models anytime that a desired plane is available from more than one of these sources. Scanning the listings and pictures on sites such as the Flying Mule is one way to get a start, while reading the reviews and critiques of models on this forum as well as others, will give you a good idea of which ones to seek out---and avoid. It's more work but at today's diecast prices, it's worth the effort.

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:43 am

I understand epap...I think the bombers are really cool. I would love to have them displayed next to each other. Its just that the 1:18 stuff keeps climbing in price and few pieces coming out. Space is getting to be a concern and I love smaller 1:72 scale vehicles and planes. I would love to get into building dio's and displaying a runway landing or a battlefield. Seems like the money I spend on 1:18 could easily buy a few 1:72. I used to clleect 1:32 had so much of it that it was in totes. I finally sold all of it a year ago. I like collecting 1:72 armor. My local hobby lobby used to carry it, I cant remember the brand good display pieces to me but they dont have them anymore. My local hobbytown is an hour away but they have isle after isle of 1:72 from all different brands. Also I have a 13 month old now and its hard to collect anything big because she wants to spin the propellers on the big planes whenever I let her in that room with me. I feel 1:72 would give me a chance to be able to sit at the kitchen table every night I had time and work on scenery I want to sit up. I also have a few dragon armor and fov stuff and it seems fun to get out and enjoy. It still seems like you guys collect smaller scale with success, and thats what im loking to do.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:06 pm

My aircraft range from Corgi to Witty,

Corgi, mostly bombers,Do 17/215, Ju88, He 111s few others like Fw 190A-6/R3, Italian Ju 87R-2
Dragon, P-47s, Bf 109E and G, Ju 87D-5/G-2, Fw 190A-3/4/8, and Fw 190D-9, Me 262
Gem.Aces, Bf 109F and P-51B
Matchbox, Bf 109G-6
Oxford, He 162A, Ar 196A
Witty,Bf 109G-6/R6, Fw 190A-5
Warmaster, Mc 205
MRC,Regia Aero Bf 109G-6
HobbyMaster, P-39, Ju 87D-3(DAK, Italian, Romanian, Hungarian)
FoV, B-26
good traders/sellers/buyers
Alloyskull(x2), PanzerArm(x2), Ostketten, Mikeg,tmanthegreat,Coreyeagle48

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:19 am

If we stick to diecast models in the 1:72nd scale and stay with WW2 subjects there are about 12 "iconic" fighters where one can choose from more than one respected brand. In these cases, here are my picks:

1) P-38J: Corgi with a nod to Matchbox
2) P-40E: Corgi with a nod to matchbox
3) P-47: Dragon, but Corgi and Matchbox are close
4) P-51D:Matchbox ( "wheels up" mode only ) or Witty
5) F6F: Hobby Master
6) F4U: Dragon
7) Spitfire MK I: New Corgi tooling
8) BF-109E: Corgi ( despite its age )
9) BF-109G: Dragon
10)ME-262: Dragon but Corgi is close
11)FW-190A:Dragon but Corgi is close
12)Zero: Witty

BTW, I have no idea why there's a smilie instead of the number 8, above. :?

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:48 am

Well ordered my first start last night from flying mule...
1. A-26 Invader Stinky
2. BF-110C Herman Brinkman "Battle of Britian
3. Dragon Armor Sd.Kfz.222 Panzerspahwagen

Its only a start, but Im happy with what I got so far. I hope to pick up the ju 88's next and a ju 52 and a catalina. I want to also find an he-111 as well as get some gladiators. Im happy with picking this up again. Seems like an affordable hobby.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:36 am

I'm not much of a 1:72 collector these days, but I did manage to pick up quite a few Matchbox and FOV planes when they were cheap at Target for like $10.00 a piece.
Some of them are inferior compared to the Hobbymaster etc.., but for the price Matchbox, mentioned by these guys, some are pretty nice and still can be had very cheaply. Though searching for the Matchbox on ebay can be a chore, because of the kid's toy ones come up mostly, they get lost in a search (which could be a good thing - less bidders)

I really like the Matchbox P-38, P-51D, Spitfire, P-40E and the FW-190. On the bottom of the planes it says "Dinky"
The only thing is they are "wheels up" like mentioned, but come with a stand. I have most every one made including the WWI biplanes, and a few jets they came out with there at the end.

Likewise the FOV's there are some good ones in there, plus they have a few more features like optional landing gear and engine hatches. I have most of them along with quite a few tanks they made. I really like the Pearl Harbor P-40 B and the many Stukas they made.

You can also get quite a few nice 1:72 plastic pre-built Easy Model planes cheaply at Hobby Lobby, with some obscure birds like a Mig-3, P-39 Aircobra or a Hawker Typhoon, that are hard to find at reasonable prices elsewhere and nicely detailed (some better than diecast imo) These are wheels down, but also come with a stand.

I don't plan on unloading any of them anytime soon because like many, with the scarcity of 1:18 and even 1:32, my favorite scales, there's hardly anything to buy anymore pre-built, so 1:72 is always a reliable option.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:35 pm

Dauntless does your Hobby Lobby still carry those? Mine stopped carrying them. You can also print off the 40% one item coupons for HL and get them even cheaper. Thats what I was doing with the armor they sold, but they stopped restocking them. I also ordered my first Gloster Gladiator today the corgi "Libya" one. Im excited. :D
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:19 pm

cjg476 wrote:Dauntless does your Hobby Lobby still carry those? Mine stopped carrying them. You can also print off the 40% one item coupons for HL and get them even cheaper. Thats what I was doing with the armor they sold, but they stopped restocking them. I also ordered my first Gloster Gladiator today the corgi "Libya" one. Im excited. :D
Good question, I don't know, I'm hoping. I haven't been in there for a month or two. that's messed up yours doesn't carry them anymore, and would be a bummer if they quit carrying them altogether. I'll have to go check now.

I picked up the Typhoon, and I must say the detail is really good, a little sharper than an average diecast. Also got a Mig-3 though it's the green one not the iconic white defense of Moscow one I wanted. I wanted to pick up an Aircobra, but haven't seen one yet. A few others, maybe a Wildcat.

Yeah the deals there are really good, particularly with the coupons. The guys here have been giving the heads up on sales in the past.
Loads of models too, Someone here got a Revell 1:72 German submarine for a sweet deal.
Unfortunately nothing at Hobby Lobby in 1:32. If I'm going to build them that's the scale I want.

For me these days, I just can't justify the high prices of some of these 1:72 diecast models to get everything out there. Can't afford the Corgi's, Hobbymaster etc. unless on sale or the secondary mkt used, but hey lot's of guys here in the "N-Smaller Forum" got some good stuff, and know where the deals are.

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:25 pm

All the ones I just bought I got from the flying mule and they were on clearance. Thats why I moved to 1:72, because 1:32 is just as pricey as 1:18. I figured 1:72 can get up there but still not nearly as bad as the other scales. I think its a good price for diecast. The secondary market can be pretty good to. I found some good deals on ebay today for some corgi gloster gladiators for $20 free shipping. At the mule their $39.99 + shipping.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:37 pm

That's some good deals on the Gladiator.

I'm looking at the Easy Models on ebay and you can get them for a little over $6.00 to $9.00 a piece. If you could just get some deals on shipping it might be worth getting a quantity.
All kinds of obscure stuff from Dewointines to LA-7's and Russian helicopters in 1:72. There again in plastic, but you don't know it till you pick them up huh.

Oh oh, this just might be affordable. :?

snake

Post by snake » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:35 am

Different manufacturers have their strengths and weaknesses.

Corgi is the best and only game in town for the "heavies", and almost all the mediums. Pricey, but they retain their value, and you can find some deals occasionally. And they just released the Short Stirling, which has sold out quickly.

For jets, Hobby Master and Century Wings are the best way to go. You can find both of their line ups on the internet.

http://hobbymastercollector.com/

http://www.centurywings.com/model_72.html

Would recommend you try a model from each of these manufacturers.

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:47 am

Yeah I would love to get a stirling and an he-111 and the coastal bristol blenheim...but all in due time...
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:46 pm

Are Dragon Wings as good as corgi? I like the ones with the landin gear that raise and lower of corgi, do dragon wings have that option to?
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:53 pm

I guess overall which 1:72 aircraft (WWII) are the best. I like ones that have up or down positioning landing gear. I dont like the corgi Aviation Archives because of the fixed "in down position landing gear". I just wanted to know what you guys think. Are gemini ones good? I like some of the me-109 paint schemes. Anyways any info would be great.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

snake

Post by snake » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:03 pm

Can't tell you about the 1/72 props, as I don't collect the single engined fighters in that scale. Just too small for me. But I do know that the Dragon props do get very good reviews, better than Corgi. But the Dragon 1/72 props are quite limited in the aircraft done.

I do have both Dragon and Corgi in 1/72 jets. More Dragon than Corgi, but they produce different aircraft, so are not in direct competition with each other. They come with gear up, or gear down options. If you want gear down, simply insert the gear down module into the hole. Gear up, you snap the closed panels into the hole. Simple. :wink:

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:11 pm

Thanks snake...Also could use some advice on 1:72 armor, I have alot of dragon armor is there any other that is just as good or better? I think war master or hobby master? are they good too.

I havent done dioramasn in aling time but I have decided to start getting back into it. I think thats why I like 1:72. So Im looking for the best diplayable collectable pieces to do this with. I bought a corgi bf-110 and a hobby master b-26. I like both brands.

Just getting fellow collector opinions.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

snake

Post by snake » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:21 pm

cjg476 wrote:I guess overall which 1:72 aircraft (WWII) are the best. I like ones that have up or down positioning landing gear. I dont like the corgi Aviation Archives because of the fixed "in down position landing gear". I just wanted to know what you guys think. Are gemini ones good? I like some of the me-109 paint schemes. Anyways any info would be great.

Only the Corgi "Legends" series have the fixed landing gear. They are a cheaper series.

The standard series is the "Collector" series which has interchangeable landing gear.

Don't have any Gemini props either, but their reviews are decent, although they have had a couple of models with issues.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:59 pm

Dauntless wrote:That's some good deals on the Gladiator.

I'm looking at the Easy Models on ebay and you can get them for a little over $6.00 to $9.00 a piece. If you could just get some deals on shipping it might be worth getting a quantity.
All kinds of obscure stuff from Dewointines to LA-7's and Russian helicopters in 1:72. There again in plastic, but you don't know it till you pick them up huh.

Easy Model is one of my favorites for collectible 1:72 aircraft. The detailing is very good for plastic and the paint jobs are excellent. I just bought a Hellcat and a Corsair last week at hobby lobby. I have a 40% off coupon but I can't get into town to buy one right now and the coupon is only good to Saturday. :?

They have a Typhoon there I'd really like. I miss Postage Stamp airplanes. I have a B-29, P-61 Black Widow and a D-Day C-47. Solid freaking metal, yes I know the scales are all over the place but the detailing and the sheer weight are awesome.
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:00 pm

I was at hobby lobby the other day, mine still caries the airplanes but not the armor. I like the look, I just dont like the fixed landing gear. Im all about the corgi and hobby master stuff, because of the interchangable gear and features. Mostly the bombers.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:50 pm

Rowsdower wrote:
Dauntless wrote:That's some good deals on the Gladiator.

Easy Model is one of my favorites for collectible 1:72 aircraft. The detailing is very good for plastic and the paint jobs are excellent. I just bought a Hellcat and a Corsair last week at hobby lobby. I have a 40% off coupon but I can't get into town to buy one right now and the coupon is only good to Saturday. :?

They have a Typhoon there I'd really like. I miss Postage Stamp airplanes. I have a B-29, P-61 Black Widow and a D-Day C-47. Solid freaking metal, yes I know the scales are all over the place but the detailing and the sheer weight are awesome.
I really recommend that Typhoon. It's one of the better ones. Not much out there with Typhoons anyways and the panel lines and seams are a little less pronounced than a die cast Typhoon, at less than half the price.
There's definitely some duds in there, like the Spitfire's canopy looks all wonky, but you can get that easily in another die cast brand.

I got lots of those Postage Stamp airplanes, like you said though scales all over the place. Still cool though. I was trying to stay within at least the 1:100 scale as it goes with my Armour planes (this before I decided to stick with just a couple of scales)

I was considering the Corgi Dauntless till snake mentioned the fixed landing gear on the Legends, which I didn't know, like an Easy Model plane does, only triple the price. I'll save for the Hobby master instead, though the fixed flaps are kind of weird.

Was looking through the Corgi's online and there's a Tuskeegee P-39 Aircobra which looks interesting. There again the Easy Model P-39 looks well made too at a lower price, but the Corgi is metal and not that expensive.

Foxhole Toys
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Foxhole Toys » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:13 pm

Hi Corey and welcome to the wonderful world of 1:72!

1:72 allows for all kinds of dioramas due to their size. We carry all sorts of figures, armor and aircraft from many eras and some manufacturer's sets include pilots and ground crew if you're into painting.

Cheers, Matt
Foxhole Toys ..."Dive in!"
www.FoxholeToys.com

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:22 pm

I have a question, this seems to be the thread to ask about quality comparisons, rather than starting a new thread.

I have been looking at the 1:72 Hobby Master Dauntless and the Corgi Dauntless Predator series.
The Hobby Master is definitely more expensive, but what makes it better than the Corgi? Are there marked differences in quality and features?
Looks like the canopy on the Corgi doesn't open for one, and no open air brakes. are those permanently open on the Hobby Master or movable?
Besides the differences, what's the quality of detail and accuracy of paint scheme?

Anyone got opinions? Thanks in advance.