Best 1/72 Armor

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Desert Fox
Private First Class
Private First Class

Best 1/72 Armor

Post by Desert Fox » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:46 am

Hi, I'm new to this forum and new to the hobby of collecting 1/72 armor. I just bought two Dragon Armor tanks off amazon (Tiger I Initial Production, s.Pz.Abt.502 Tactical No. 3 - 60410 & Panther G W/Zimmerit, Fsch.Pz.Div. "Hermann Göring" East Prussia 1945 - 62006) that I have not received yet but am looking forward to getting.

My question to you guys is what maker would you recommend for 1/72 armor (detail over die cast). From doing some research online it looks like Dragon Armor and Hobby Master are the two best brands, is that correct? What are your experiences with other makers like FOV, Panzerstahl, and Easy Model? Easy Model appear to be less expensive, is their quality not as good?

One other question for now is since I do not have a hobby store nearby and will probably have to order most of my tanks online is there an online company that anyone would recommend. Amazon, Ebay, Flying Mule, 3000toys?

Thanks for the help
Clayton

paulmerton
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Best 1/72 Armor

Post by paulmerton » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:58 am

Hi Desert Fox,

I remember having similar questions when I started collecting tanks. I found the answers by buying lots and selling the ones that weren't so good :) Here's are my thoughts:-

I also prefer detail over diecast, and find that Dragon Armor generally offer the best detail. In particular, I think their StuG III, StuG IV, Panzer IV, T-34, Sherman and Sd.Kfz. 251 models are very good in 1/72 scale. The Maus and Jagdtigers are also quite good, and often cheap due to their relatively bland looks! If you're into modern stuff, the Challenger IIs and Bradleys are pretty good, too.

I'd put Hobby Master in second place. Some of their models are great, not just because of the detail, but also because nobody else makes them. Prime examples are the various Centaur, Cromwell, M10 and Achilles models from Hobby Master. I find the ones with higher diecast content are not so great in terms of detail, though. The KV-2 is one such model that springs to mind, with nonexistent weathering and rather poor tracks.

Most of the FoV range seem to have a lot of diecast content, too, and I'm not really that keen on them. They lack detail, or have excessively wobbly parts where they've tried to include moving wheels and things. I think the only ones I like are the Challenger II and Dragon Wagon.

Panzerstahl is also heavy on the diecast content. I guess that's fine if you're into that sort of thing, but they are poor on detail and look more like cheap toys (nowhere near worth their retail value in my opinion). However, I couldn't resist buying their Wirbelwind and Ostwind anti-aircraft tanks, simply because Dragon and Hobby Master don't make those yet. IXO/Altaya are a similar affair, but perhaps slightly less detailed/painted.

Easy Model tanks are entirely plastic, and I don't have a problem with that. The paintwork is a bit iffy on some of them, and the tracks and wheels look just plain wrong on some models (avoid any of the Tigers, King Tigers or Jagdtigers in particular!). However, some of their models are excellent, not only in terms of detail, but also uniqueness. I would certainly recommend the following Easy Model modern tanks: AS-90, BTR-80, M1126, Challenger II, C1 Ariete, Strv-103C; and the following WW2 ones: Char B1, Sturer Emil. Best to have a look at them in person before you buy, as some of them (usually the Shermans) have the tracks fixed so tightly that they bend and sink into the gaps in the front drive sprockets.

I'm in the UK, so I usually hunt around on eBay for mine, particulary for the older models that are no longer in production. I've bought a few of the newer ones from the US, as it generally works out cheaper than buying from a UK reseller.

Hope that helps :)

Light.Inf.Scout
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:35 am

I prefer FOV myself. HM is good and Dragon is ok if you're ok with plastic...IMO. i think FOV has the best overall quality and price...HM can be expensive and Dragon is still 20-25 bucks for plastic. FOV does not have the selection of the others though. Online I usually use Flying Mule, Wartoyz, or Small Joes. Sometimes Foxhole toys too.
Last edited by Light.Inf.Scout on Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

Light.Inf.Scout

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:36 am

OH...and welcome aboard
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83

Wrights Collectables
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Wrights Collectables » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:28 pm

Hello Desert Fox,

In my eyes Dragon Armor models are most detailed and I would award them "manufacturer of the year 2011", they have released some cracking pieces.

FoV models are "best value", not Dragon Armor detail, but FoV represent the middle ground if you like. I am a big fan of FoV.

Hobby Master seem to release a lot of models. But, they are either constant repaints (I can't tell you how many HM M7 Priests I have stocked in the past year!). Also, some of their releases are ridiculously narrow, by that I mean the following; Hobby Master recently released a pair of 1:72 Stuarts, now I would have thought a British/Commonwealth and American Stuart would have been most appealing. Instead they released an American Stuart (great) and RoC (Taiwan) Stuart (from the Chinese civil war). Who wanted a RoC Stuart?! :roll:

I understand that HM might be making a play on the Asian market however.

There are some smaller brands such as Blitz, but the above are definitely the major players.

You've come to the best place for asking questions and getting great advice. Hats off to SSMHQ! :lol:

Wrights Collectables
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Wrights Collectables » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:30 pm

I forgot Panzerstahl..

Not a bad manufacturer, but there latest releases are set to be plastic. We will see if this detracts from their quality/detail!

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:46 pm

PS's Pz IIIs own their crap Pz IVs
good traders/sellers/buyers
Alloyskull(x2), PanzerArm(x2), Ostketten, Mikeg,tmanthegreat,Coreyeagle48

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:27 pm

I started collecting 1/72 about 3-4 years ago, and I have gotten almost everything I wanted. Dragon is the overall best brand because of their variety and price. Hobby master is going a bit crazy nowadays, with vehicles approaching or even over the $30 mark :shock: . I usually spend about $20 for 1/72 and I get them off ebay or small retailers who still have lots of old stock for a very generous price. 8) Good luck hunting.
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

StormyThoughts
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by StormyThoughts » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:31 am

I buy some selected stuff from most manufacturers. When it comes to detail, all of them have their ups and downs. DA tends to be the best since it's based on their kit line, but not always. I would give HM second place, but still keep in mind that some of their pieces beat DA in looks.

Cheers, welcome to forum and have fun with this brilliant hobby.

Luke

Mad Sam
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Mad Sam » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:55 am

Hello and welcome

Dragon Armour for me, but watch those duplicate releases;

You'll get the tank issued on it's own, then later limited or special editions will be exactly the same model but with a bit of grass for a base, then reissued with a wall, then again with a wall and a bit of grass, then - here we go again - that tank with a wall and a bit of grass and a figure, and just for good measure - that tank with a different tank.

Agree with the Easy-Model comments, some are OK but the German big cats are naff.

Cheers
Sam

cheesecake
Corporal
Corporal

Post by cheesecake » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:19 am

Hi Desert fox,
i started my collection 5 years ago and my collection is made by several brands and my classification is :

1st : Dragon armor : really beautiful pieces, nice painting,
2nd : Hobbymaster : a great brand, but ... 2nd for me
3rd : Panzerstahl : the newest brand and their last PZIII are awsome...

i'm not a metal hardcore addicted, if plastic is present, if the model is great looking, it's ok for me.

- Easy model have some nice models, but quality and painting are weak.
- Altaya/blitz72 : poor quality and painting, but big variety of originals models
- Forces of valor, all metal, but bad painting i found... they look like toys for me... disappointed by this brand since their first Pz IV ! (i'm collecting planes too, but i never saw a plane from them,... they seem good).

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:18 am

yea FoV could have hit gold with a good Pz IV J and Panther G or A
good traders/sellers/buyers
Alloyskull(x2), PanzerArm(x2), Ostketten, Mikeg,tmanthegreat,Coreyeagle48

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:05 pm

Dragon makes a lot of the 1/72 panthers. I have the warsaw and normandy version and they both look great. Dragon is also supposed to release some panzer IV J this year, but that's not happening.
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

Tshintl
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Tshintl » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:13 am

A good source for info on 1/72 armor, despite the no updates for a few months...

http://www.diecast72.com