Hobby Master 72nd scale F-18 Hornet

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Sabrefan
Officer - Brigadier General

Hobby Master 72nd scale F-18 Hornet

Post by Sabrefan » Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:43 pm

I got the new 72nd scale Hobby Master F-18 Hornet today, and without a doubt this is one of the finest F-18 models in any scale. The lines on it are just beautiful, and the workmanship is perfect. What a great time to be a 72nd scale jet fan. :)
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

tmanthegreat

Re: Hobby Master 72nd scale F-18 Hornet

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:39 pm

Sabrefan wrote:I got the new 72nd scale Hobby Master F-18 Hornet today, and without a doubt this is one of the finest F-18 models in any scale. The lines on it are just beautiful, and the workmanship is perfect. What a great time to be a 72nd scale jet fan. :)
I've seen this in person as well. So very tempting as it looks darn perfect... but I want one that's stationed at Lemoore NAS, which is near my hometown. Fortunantly, Hobbymaster has one coming :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:13 pm

I just collected my Canadian one (2nd release) among a few other HM planes couple days back, it is really looking awesome though its still in the box.

My bank account is trembling at the prospect of more schemes by HM in the near future, need to feed my F-18 addiction :lol:
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace

snake

Post by snake » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:56 pm

Granted the new HM F-18 looks to be a great model, and I have the Canadian one on pre order.

But for me, I already have quite a number of Dragon F-18's, and find them to be just fine. Not as good as the newest HM release, but not $70 a piece either.

Will probably get a few HM F-18's, but they will have to be must have schemes, and my Dragon ones are not going anywhere soon. :wink:

Same will go for the upcoming HM F-15, F-16.

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 2:41 pm

Here's a pic and cursory review of my Canadian CF-18, "No Fly Zone" Libya

Good things I like: modular landing gear (no more messing with fiddly bits, woohoo!), crisp mold, 2 canopies & 2 speedbrakes for extended and closed option, no moving control surfaces (your opinion might differ from mine), 1-piece ordnance installs easily with good tight fit.

Not so good things: Fuel tanks not canted slightly outwards (I could be wrong), one of the landing wheels and twin-missle rack glued crooked, uneven and rough paint application on modular landing gear.

Good F-18 model with room for QC improvement 8)

"Be Water, My Friend..."

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:47 pm

Mine had no flaws at all, just a beautiful model.
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

snake

Post by snake » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:48 pm

Nice CF-18 Gouchy. 8)

Only a couple of people so far have this, and haven't heard of any QC issues with this one, or the first Desert Storm release.

Maybe you just got a "friday afternoon" special. :(

Think the F-18 will be a good seller for HM. Lots of schemes to do, and the reviews of the model so far have been good. Gouchy's is the only exception.

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:50 am

Thanks Snake :D

I have got to stop collecting my models on Friday Afternoon Specials :lol: or rather when I'm short on time. Was rushing to meet up with my significant other and did not carefully inspect my purchases other then a cursory glance at them before rushing off.

Here are some pics of my mostly minor issues,

The crooked amraan

What I thought to be sloppy painting of the undercarriage may be HM trying to do weathering, its growing on me and this is not an issue for me anymore, too hasty of me to nitpick

Its not obvious here but the 2 wheels are not really symmetrically aligned. The paintjob on landing gear struts has been mentioned above but note also paintjob on the GBU. The centre tank is also slightly slanted, which I've only just noticed.

The amraam issue is easily solved by swapping out for the other GBU in the set. Its still a fantastic model and I'm very happy to have it, no doubt about it :D
"Be Water, My Friend..."

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:57 am

Off topic,

Snake, here's the other Friday afternoon special I mentioned to you, the Carousel P-40 prop alignment issue. No confidence to mess about with it for now, I might do unrepairable damage to it if I attempt to bend it back.

"Be Water, My Friend..."