1:32 Soldier questions

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
dweigum
Private First Class
Private First Class

1:32 Soldier questions

Post by dweigum » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:27 am

I have just started to collect 1:32 FOV WWII vehicles and will start to purchase some 21st Century vehicles from EBay very soon. My plan is to slowly build a diorama, more likely a few small dioramas. I would like to start purchasing some soldiers and I have a few questions about this that I am hoping someone could answer for me.

1 - Does mixing 1:32, 1:30 and 1:35 scales really show a difference?
2 - Some of the higher end soldiers (K & C, Figarti, Frontline, Collectors SHowcase, Conte), can they be mixed in a single diorama without a lot of noticeable differences?
3 - Which of the higher end listed above do you recommend or is the another brand I am missing?
4 - The lower end soldiers like FOV and 21st Century, can they be mixed in with the higher end in a single diorama without a lot of noticeable differences?
5 - Are there any other assembled and painted lower end soldiers you recommend?

Thanks for your help.

Axis Nightmare
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: 1:32 Soldier questions

Post by Axis Nightmare » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:14 am

In real life, soldiers can be 5'8" or 6'4" in height. This would make scale heights O.K. Where I've found the scale differnece doesn't look right is in the size of their heads and helmets. Also, the equipment can be off just a bit. I've found that crouched or prone figures blend in better at slightly different scales. If you keep them farther apart with objects to break-up the scene it is not as noticeable. Good luck finding any 1/32 figures at a good price.

What makes the P-51 Mustang so special?

"It would do for 8 hours what a Spitfire would do for 45 minutes."

Brig. Gen. Chuck Yeager

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:22 am

Welcome to the hobby.
1. The scales do make a difference.
2. K&C and Showcase are compatible. They are 1/30. Figarti makes 1/30 and 1/32(54mm). Figarti 1/30's, in my opinion, are slightly smaller than K&C and Show. Conte, Britains, Figarti, Old Northwest Toy Soldier and to a lesser degree Frontline are compatible. If you are going to paint, San Diego toy soldiers, Tamiya, Conte plastics are compatible with 1/32.
3. This is actually a personal preference issue. If you choose 1/30, FOV and 21st vehicles will be incompatible. These vehicles go well with Conte, Britains, Figarti, ONTS, TSSD and Frontline. It is also matter of what you are willing to spend.
4. 21st and FOV soldiers cannot be shown with K&C, etc. The 21st and FOV are dwarfed in comparison. Michigan Toy Soldier used to have on their website a section demonstrating the difference in scales.
5. If cost is the important factor, San Diego has painted WWII plastic soldiers, if they are still available, otherwise start hitting toy soldier shows, flea markets, etc. Sometimes you can get lucky on Evilbay...
Good hunting! If you are like the rest of us your search and acquisition will become a passion!
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

binder001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by binder001 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:26 am

Some of the answers depend on your perception of size and how "picky" you want to be. To me 1/35th scale soldiers next to 1/32nd scale soldiers is like looking at photos of the Viet Nam War, you see a bunch of ARVN soldiers and one great big American. Yes there are different sizes of people, BUT the weapons and gear remain constant. An M1 rifle is the same size regardless if it is held by a 6'6" American, a small Asian or a child. K&C and other 1/30th figures would be giants compared to a 1/35th figure. Remember that scale is not only about height but about volume (you increase all the dimensions).

So, from my personal standpoint, I put 1/35th only with 1/35th, K&C only with K&C, etc. I even have problems with the variations in "1/32nd" - look at Marx or Airfix, they are not the same size as Conte/TSSD figures. The volume difference is really noticable (to me) in most scenes.

If you want to mix them, put your 1/30th in front of the scene, the 1/32nd in the middle, and the 1/35th in the background. With careful composition and creative use of scenery you can use what modelers call "Forced Perspective" - a way to fool the eye into beiveing that the scene is deeper than it really is.

It really is your choice, I'm just giving the point of view of a picky old model builder.

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:18 am

Well put.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:31 am

* Willkommen ! ! ! ... I find that 1/35 figures work best in FoV & 21st.C 1:32 scale vehicles.

- MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:44 am

The figures that come with 1/32 models go well with 21st and FOV. Dragon Cando 1/35 figures also go well with the 21st and FOV figures.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:27 am

* I like to mix my 1/35 figures w/ 1:32 but like the 1/35 figures such as (Can.Do) , best when manning 1:32 FoV & 21st.C vehicles. Some of the early 21st.C & FoV figures worked well (depends) but the later figures they included in AFV's produced by these toy makers are more comparable to 1/35. Just don't buy into FoV's earlier figures that L@@K like ie,.. popeyes or Sumo wrestlers. The FoV German POW's w/ U.S. guards and the U.S. medic w/ wounded are the best sets so far I think. The older 21st. figure sets are nice too. However I agree w/ what comments were made regarding 1/30 figures.

- MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

dweigum
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by dweigum » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:56 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the great advice. The price of the figures is not that important - if I go with a more expensive brand, then it will just take me longer to build up my numbers. The most important feature for me is realistic looks. I did find a link that helps describe the various sizes in comparison that is very helpful too: http://www.toysoldiersclub.com/TOY-SOLD ... Scale.aspx. I currently have 10 FOV vehicles so far and will add to it shortly.

If there is anymore advice, I would appreciate it. I am heading off to Europe tomorrow for a couple of weeks and will delve into my collection more thoroughly when I return.

Once again, thanks for your advice.