Ultimate Soldier 32X Extreme wings Check list.

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:31 pm

i think the actual colour on the real japanese aircraft, is still much debated, with current 'wisdom' being the very light carmel tinted green colour (called sea foam green, i think) but this colour has only come to light in the last decade or so, i believe and other sources state a carmel tinted light grey (much light the ebay photo you posted) and still others cling to the old, accepted light grey, we're all familiar with..
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:41 am

My recon patrol(wife and kids) picked up the new P47 and the Mustang(Ridgerunner) last night. The Mustang paint and graphics seemed a bit weak when compared to the other latest Mustang releases by 21st. The plane appeared to have a light wash of black which helped bring out the panel details, though. The P51 has the usual poor fit around the wing/ fuselage joint that will require some filing and glueing to eliminate the big gaps. The P47, mostly flat black, is an interesting varient. It is really ugly, with the sky blue and silver trim but the paint work is great. Nice and sharp. Nice tight wing joints. The only wierd thing about the plane is the written propeller markings that are applied perpendicular to the manufacturer logo rather than in line like I am used to seeing.

The recon patrol didnt realize Me109 Hornet scheme was new, so they left it behind. They have been heavily briefed on the Zeros and 202s though. Hope to grab these sometime soon...

TJ

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:43 am

The "Wasp" ME-109 scheme is one of the best for this 32x plane, which still has the same mould as the older versions. They did repaint the canopy so that the hood looks a little different.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

eddie372
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

c

Post by eddie372 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:48 pm

Finally bought my wasp Me-109 and the Ridge Runner P-51. Passed on the black P-47, at least for now and although it's a different version, having the fillet on the vertical stabilizer.

But have not seen any Zeros or Macchis (can't ever get that right!!!) around Miami. Hope that's soon to change, since I really want to get my hands on those babies.

Ed
The man that loves his job never works a day in his life.

daverose1
Corporal
Corporal

Got My Zero.

Post by daverose1 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:03 pm

Well....For all the discusion of the color, frankly, it's kind of pea soup grean. Shades pretty close to my old action series FOV Sherman. I understand the confusion over the "TRUE" early colors, I still would have gone with the traditional off white. At least until something deffinative is determined. This is an early model Zero, Pearl Harbor Zero. Don't add the gun barrels. The Model 21 used an Orlikon 20mm gun with a very short barrel, basically all in the wing. Leaving them off gives the right look, just leave the hole where it is. Fit isn't very good, wing and fusilage don't fit well, the elevators need work with a file to fit right. Paint jobs off a bit too. quite a few glitches. white powdery gunk on the port cowl latches, paint on the clear panels of the canopy, red fusilage band dosn't matchup right. My JUG and Dora are much better. Frankly the Macchi looked better, but money is a limitation.

David

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:12 pm

I liked the Saipan Zero better. My only paint flaw was a slight scratch on the underside.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Coreyeagle48

paint jobs

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:07 pm

Hello All,

This is what I do not understand with some people on the forum, if you don't like the way something is and you bought it at Walmart, simply take it back and get your money back or get another one. I can see it being a hassle if you are an online buyer but most of us are buying these at Walmart and they are pretty easy about returns. I took my 262 back and got another one because I had a broken landing gear door that wouldn't stay when I fixed it. They took it back and I got another one, not a big deal.

There are always going to be a few planes that do not get as good as the others. Just mass production for you. Heck I build models and they don't get perfect.

Both planes are flawless. The only thing I dislike about the Macchi is the fact that the landing gear is touchy. It bends in pretty good, and a good tap will not the plane over. The scheme and everything else is perfect. I like the idea of the small parts being off the planes and you installing them. That's sharp

The Zero is also really awesome. Mine fit real tight but you really just have to push the elevators in but they fit fine once you do. Same with the wing. I like the fact they fit tight at many quick build models usually fit too loose and then have to be glued. The Zero for me was also flawless and both of the new planes are tremendously well done. I'm very impressed with the quality for the price.

Both are great, just make sure you look at them in the store for anything wrong with them. A couple of the planes I recently picked up were among others that were pretty smashed in terms of boxes. Just pick carefully and most of them are perfect as can be

daverose1
Corporal
Corporal

Well excuuuusssse me

Post by daverose1 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:10 pm

Didn't know we're restricted to rosy-rosy commentary. First, I don't return material to retailers that isn't seriously flawed, there's nothing on my Zero that rises to the "return" level of problem. Heck, my major grievence really is restricted to the butt-ugly color (which may even be historically accurate). The questions about fit I think are valid. I'm an old modeler myself and the fit problems were overcome (mostly). But some shmoo buying one of these for his kid might have had some real problems with the model I got. My post was an attempt to give my honest appraisal of the aircraft I bought. I'm so seriously upset about my purchase that I'll be buying a 21st Me and P51 (or the Macchi if I can't get the others) tommarow. I thought about raving about the really cool PzIVd I got the same day, but concidered that off topic.

Crawling back to my hole
David

digger

all comments welcome

Post by digger » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:53 pm

Dave, stand tall - nothing wrong with pointing out flaws. I think it is a must actually, although some of the issues on your Zero sound like particular to that bird or batch. I guess the paint is universal, so that is surely fair game :P
And I agree overuse of the return policy is not good for anyone. Look in the window, see what you are getting, know it is a toy. I'm not saying deprive yourself of a functional model but at the same time these are not cars or paintings - a little glue or smudge or scratch I think should be expected at the price we pay (sorry :?).

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:13 pm

I got both Zeros from friends on the coast and I Love both of them, but the Saipan Zero did have some fit problems in the main wings to the point that I may return it and get another one when they show up here.. I think that the problems with fit is that 21st is trying to get the tolerances as close as possible and sometimes it just doesn't fit right.. :?

Compared to 21st's first offerings a few years ago, these things are FANTASTIC and I hope it continues.. :wink:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

Coreyeagle48

well

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:30 pm

Digger

I entirely agree with you that pointing out flaws is fine. The point I was getting at is that he posted like he had major problems with the airplane and that is why I said return it. I mean seriously if the wing would fall out of the airplane due to a fit problem, that's really bad, you should return it.

If anything, my airplanes were real tight fitting, almost too tight. I just forced them in really hard because when I assemble them I usually don't take them apart. The Zero in particular fit pretty tight compared to the other planes. I personally like the planes that have the wings screwed into place, you know they will never come out then.

I think little fit problems are common on these models and little blemishes on the paint. I only return if there is something broken that 1) It can't be fixed by me with glue 2) It's just wrong or 3) There is a serious scratch or paint flaw on the model. I think if that is the case then a return is fully acceptable because the company messed up the model and it probably should not have been boxed up for sale in the first place.

I agree people go return crazy in the store. I was once in a craft store and saw a lady return fake flowers because she bought too many. I frequently buy more than I need to assure I have enough for my project and simply store it away or take it to school to let some of the kids use the stuff for their projects. My room to them is a vault of stuff they can have at if they need it. I don't return stuff unless it really is messed up badly. Or of course, it's the wrong size, hehe

I did not mean to pick on Dave, and for that I apologize. I misunderstood him and felt from his post he had more serious problems than was actually true. I do think he got a bad Zero though, and I totally agree, the color is really ugly. Looks like the concrete floor at school, thought the Pearl Harbor zeros were white

rmoore456
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Air Raid

Post by rmoore456 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:08 am

Air raid central Illinois this is no drill. Zeros and Macchi's spotted at the Peru, Illinois Walmart. S1 and S2 of the Macchi and S1 of the Zero.

Ray

warhawker
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by warhawker » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:10 pm

I travel alot for my job and always on the lookout for adding to my 1/32 collection. I noticed when I was in Greenville, SC area this week that WMs there have the new P-51 RidgeRunner, P-47s and new 109s. No Zeros or Macchis. It appears that the west coast are getting a bigger lots of Zeros & Macchis while the east coast is where the 51s, 47s and 109s are landing. Can anyone back up this theory?

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:17 pm

Warhawker,
The West coast got the S2-S3 Zero and S1 Macchi 202.. The East coast and midwest got the repaints.. But now the second round w/ S1 Zero and S2-S3 Macchis are now starting to show up on the East coast.. Still nothing but repaints in the middle though.. :?
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

warhawker
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by warhawker » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:22 pm

Has anyone seen any of these in the southwest/midwest?

easy8
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by easy8 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:30 pm

warhawker wrote:Has anyone seen any of these in the southwest/midwest?
I've been to my local Walmart (Des Monies, Iowa) a couple of times the past few weeks and no planes at all, just some Stugs, Brumbar and Panzer IV...going back this weekend to check again.

easy8
"Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men."

--General George Patton Jr.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:42 pm

An ebayer out of Houston had the new Zeros and Macchis around the same time the west coast got them, but I checked there and my contact (Mrfootball) didn't turn up anything.. I finally got mine from friends on the West coast, but I paid a pretty penny for them to be shipped..

I think we will see a firm arrival of these new planes in the next few weeks, if not sooner considering the new XD planes (Mustang, Corsair and Stuka) arrived here yesterday.. :wink:
-Howard Stark

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:27 pm

The S1 Zero and the S1 & S2 Macchis showed up in Atlanta on Thursday; are we seeing the other series in the (south) East yet?

warhawker
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by warhawker » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:55 pm

I spoke too soon. Check my local WMs today in Dallas and sure enough there they were! 1st WM had the Zeros S3, Macchi S3, WASP 109 & P51. Limited to only a total of 4 each there. So I picked up the Zero & Macchi. Went to another WM and they had the Zero S1, Macchi S1, WASP 109 & P51. Limited to about 3-4 each as well. So I picked up the other Zero & Macchi. May hit some more WMs this weekend as well and see if I can find the S2 on both models. I take it WMs in the southwest are starting to get the new 1/32 but limited to batch per store. All I can say is, buy'em if you find'em!

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:59 pm

seems to me the Macchis are pretty popular and selling well.

seems to me that bodes well for seeing a 1/18 version. ;)
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:41 am

Here in MO we have the S2 & S3 Zero's, also S1, S2, & S3 Macchi's. In XD finally got the trop Stuka's and Bunker Hill Corsairs. :D

rmoore456
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by rmoore456 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:03 pm

The S1 Zero and S1, S2 Macchis are in Bloomington-Normal, Illinois

Ray

mikeg

and now for something completely different-

Post by mikeg » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:07 pm

seeing as though the new repaints, zeros, and macchis are becoming quite prevalent amongst us; HOW MANY Y'ALL GOT- count em up, I am curious If others out there now have as many of the 1/32 planes as we do the 1/18th tanks and ac. I'll probably be put to shame for showing my posterior, but I have 27 so far.

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:25 pm

I have 26 32x planes. I just picked up the Zero (Kounoike Version) and two 202s(Reiner and Solari) from my WM. That was all they had. What other versions are there of the Zero and the 202? I am really looking for the grey(or what ever color they call it) Zero. I need two of them...

TJ