WTM 08 - Battle of the Bulge

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
dfoos
Sergeant
Sergeant

WTM 08 - Battle of the Bulge

Post by dfoos » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:30 pm

Saw a picture of the next World tank Museum (1/144 - Dragon Can Do scale)
It is Battle of the Bulge. It has German and American Tanks. It looks like they have two each of each tank, one in standard field color (appropriate for each tank) and White Snow Camoflage (Whitewash) I dont know if any of them are new models or just rehash of already released items in a different set. I'm looking forward to it because it has been really hard to find American armor in this scale. all the manufacturers seem to want to go real heavy on the German Armor and pretty light on Allied armor. You can find a few Soviet Tanks, but Sherman or Sherman firefly is all I have been able to find in American and Popy makes an OK Grant/Lee. No weathering on these though. Oh and Halftracks. but thats it. I'd like to see more British Desert vehicles, I'd love to see some armored cars. I would like to see some other American Armor, M10, M18, M8, Stuart, Priest etc... As well as Jeeps. I have some Minifigs Jeeps I painted up and decaled. They look pretty close in scale, I even repainted some of the Russian crew in sitting positions and put them as passengers in the jeeps, they look pretty good. I'd like to see someone make those and maybe some of the desert recon jeeps/ trucks. There are alot that could be done.

dfoos
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by dfoos » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:41 pm

Whoops, I just looked and saw a new picture. I guess they are coming out with the M8 and M10. Those are new. Also saw Wirbelwind and Schwimmwagen, Those are new too.

Wonder what the "hidden" item is. Looks kinda like a Pershing just above the Sherman in the top picture (below)

immeww2
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by immeww2 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:31 pm

Haven't seen these yet, but they look really cool! :D

WGP Klaus
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by WGP Klaus » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:17 am

Takara (WTM) stuff is amazing, love the Series 6 pieces, in particular the T-80's and Merkavas. The quality is on par, if not better than Can-Do stuff, IMHO.

Edit: Forgot to mention another line, a Chinese company by the name of Metal Troops, check the link and be amazed at the detail in a soon to be released line of 1/144th tanks with interior detail.
http://www.tankzone.co.uk/cart/metaltroops_144.htm

cruizin2000
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by cruizin2000 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:26 am

It looks like a Panther with U.S. markings in the bottom/left side of bottom pic.

Very interesting....

C2000
Attack!!!!

Slobodon.Ginfizz
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Slobodon.Ginfizz » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:37 am

Yes, that would be a vehicle from the infamous 150 Panzer Brigade, led by Otto Skorzeny. This was a special commando unit where the intention was to outfit them with captured American uniforms and equipment. These hand-picked soldiers were all fluent in English, and the idea was to attempt and infiltrate the US lines just before the Battle of the Bulge and sow confusion in the enemy rear.

Fortunately, the Germans were unable to capture any working US tanks (maybe one or two), so they were forced to make crude attempts to dress up Panthers as M-10s using metal sheets around the turret. The attempts didn't fool anyone, though, and the few tanks employed were quickly disabled or destroyed.

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Thu Aug 25, 2005 12:28 pm

These tanks look great. I too need some American equipment to oppose my Can-
Do army. You know Dragon will correct the oversite of not making Allied armor.
Let the games begin! :D

Mark
I'm a legend in my own mind.

paulwong
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by paulwong » Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:46 pm

Dragon make only what they want to sell and not what customers need. :evil:

OnWu
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by OnWu » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:03 pm

PW wrote:
Dragon make only what they want to sell and not what customers need.
I couldn't agree more. Dragon seems to operate in a vacuum, completely removed from its customers and dealers. They neither seem to want nor appreciate any feedback from anybody. I've asked them when they are going to make a number of things I'd like to have in both 1:6 and 1:72 and come away with just an apathetic shrug.

KAMIKAZE

Post by KAMIKAZE » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:17 pm

You guys are both right on the money. I think Dragon could double their sales if they made a few good guys once in a while. :evil:

Mark
Last edited by KAMIKAZE on Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a legend in my own mind.

graycap
Sergeant
Sergeant

WTM 08

Post by graycap » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:25 pm

I think the "mystery" tank in the top picture is a M-47.

Perhaps it is supposed to represent a "King Tiger" from the film "The Battle of the Bulge" (Henry Fonda, Robert Shaw, Telly Savalas etc). The "Shermans" were played by M24 Chaffees - all from the Spanish Army.