Hobby Master 1/32 Dauntless Thoughts

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Coreyeagle48
Officer - Brigadier General

Hobby Master 1/32 Dauntless Thoughts

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sat May 07, 2011 11:10 am

Greetings

I have picked up a few of these now, only missing 2 of the schemes they have released so far. Those of you that have them, what do you think of them? Here are some of my thoughts, and unfortunately there are some major negatives.

Positives:

-The different color schemes are nice, especially the fancy prewar version. I like the idea that the different versions had the correct parts.

-Paint is very well done on all the models (not counting the defective McCluskey I had gotten)

-Retractable landing gear works well.

-Nice bonus features for some versions like the clear cowling, though I've never had it on the model.

-Super detail, especially the engine which is nicely done. Diecast construction makes the main airplane strong and heavy/

Negatives:

-Loose pieces. I can't tell you how I'm afraid to move these pieces for fear of losing some of the small parts like the exhaust pipes and the small antenna on the bottom. Many of the snap on parts suffer from extremely poor fit. This seems to be prevalent on all the versions as well. I personally think for a model this cost...the fit should be much better.

-Inconsistency. Some models come with extra small pieces...some do not. This makes it challenging when you buy (especially second hand) to know what should be with the planes and what shouldn't be. Also, if you are going to include extra parts like spare pitot tubes and radio masts, you should do it for every scheme.

-The pilots. The fit on these guys is terrible and the early ones were horrendous. Hobby Master made corrections because the ones with the "Ace of Spades" version are much nicer. Detail on these, especially the early ones, is not so great.

-Display stands. Nice, but it would have been great to include one with every variant. I notice some places charge the same price for variants even if they do not have a display stand included. Not right in my book, either include it or make it extra, for every variant.

-QC. Two of these I bought had some problems. A Best version was missing pieces and a McCluskey version had a paint flaw that shouldn't have left the factory. The small pieces are also extremely breakable if you are not careful.

Overall opinion on these is they really aren't worth the cost. You could and still can find a BBI Dauntless cheaper and it is a more durable model, albeit less detailed. Although I like this model, it is an expensive piece with some issues that can drive you nuts (knocking the small parts off every time drives me nuts).
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

nooker21
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Re: Hobby Master 1/32 Dauntless Thoughts

Post by nooker21 » Sat May 07, 2011 6:35 pm

They're expensive, yes, but I have to say I like my Hobbymaster Dauntless a heck of a lot better than the BBI one for one main reason: working dive brakes. Plus, it's nice to have a choice of paint schemes. I'm glad I splurged on the Coral Sea one, although I agree, the pilot figures are pretty lousy.

For some reason, they seem to do a much better job on their paint than the Corgi ones. I'd buy Corgi 1/32 planes if only the paint schemes didn't look so toy-like. I don't know what it is about them, but every time I look at a Corgi plane, I pass because they don't seem to fit in with my 21C planes.

mikeyt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by mikeyt » Wed May 11, 2011 1:56 pm

Imagei like them

snake

Post by snake » Thu May 12, 2011 11:38 pm

Think the HM 1/32 Dauntless is a fantastic piece of diecast.

I have three of them, and the only issue I have had is the dreaded "prop droop" on the McCluskey version.

These are expensive, but better than Corgi 1/32, and light years ahead of 21 Century and BBI 1/32.

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Fri May 13, 2011 6:29 am

Greetings

I'm not saying it is not a fantastic piece, they are when you get good examples of them. For example, my Ace of Spades Dauntless was flawless and looks awesome as a result, so does the prewar version I have. The paint, when done right, has also been great.

My issue with this plane stems from 2 bad experiences with paint issues and very loose fitting or broken parts. Ironically, both airplanes came from the Flying Mule...and both were Battle of Midway schemes (McCluskey & Best). Needless to say I am buying nothing from the Flying Mule anymore as both experiences I have had with them have been bad. It has also made me wonder if it is the plane or the retailer that is causing the issues.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

snake

Post by snake » Fri May 13, 2011 9:50 pm

Corey,

I think that you have just been unlucky in getting two with issues. The only complaint I have ever heard about this model is the " prop droop" on the McCluskey, and the latest Coral Sea version has a small issue with the paint where the dark blue meets the grey underside near the fuselage.

Seriously, I think you have just had bad luck in getting a couple of "lemons". which is a shame, as it has obviously lowered your opinion of this model. Looking back, you should have returned these with the paint issues.

The Coral Sea version. Look at the blending of the two colours just behind the wings.

Coreyeagle48

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Sat May 14, 2011 5:07 pm

Snake

This is a long story.

The McCluskey situation eventually turned out alright and I got a different one, which was much better. It did have a droopy prop, but Hobby Master took care of me with a replacement. Now the plane looks terrific.

The Best Dauntless was a bit of a mess. A small antenna was missing on the underside of the plane and the pilots were missing. I got this one from the Flying Mule and promptly called them and informed them of the situation. When I called they said they would get back to me, a few days later they do and claim I can't return it or get store credit because it was past the 5 day inspection period (it was past 5 days because they didn't return my call...albeit purposely). I explained to them that I called on time and they said they would get back to me...it went back and forth and I just had it with their customer service rep...so I said "This was the second one of these planes I got from you with issues"...that's when he got irritated, launched into this big story about how they inspect everything, etc. Needless to say that is why I am buying nothing from them anymore...the pilots were clearly missing and there was a piece missing from the bottom. I eventually ended up just selling this one to a board member who is I think going to try to get it into proper shape...

But yeah...the experience has me questioning Hobby Master and I will not buy anything from The Flying Mule again either. No way.

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

c44
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: McCluskey tilting prop

Post by c44 » Sun May 15, 2011 8:53 pm

Hey, does anybody have an easy fix for the loose prop? I heard HM offered a fix (a washer, maybe?), but the e-tailer I got it from never followed up to offer it. I've been putting off doing the assembly, I'm wondering if it's a headache to rectify...
C44
...Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

snake

Post by snake » Sun May 15, 2011 9:14 pm

HM's solution is to provide a whole new prop, and hub assembly.

An expensive solution, but they shipped the part for free to me. Didn't even have to pay for shipping. Excellent customer service.

And they have had quite a few collectors ask for this replacement prop, so they are used to dealing with this issue.

Contact William Lui at Hobby Master. He will help you out. :wink:

[email protected]

c44
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Re: Proper Prop

Post by c44 » Mon May 16, 2011 6:48 pm

Hey Snake, thanx for the advice, I'll contact HM. I've had the thing sitting in a closet for way over a year, so I'm itching to put it together...I've been procrastinating so long I don't even remember what e-bay store I bought it from... :?
C44
...Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...