FOV Grant

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
daverose1
Corporal
Corporal

FOV Grant

Post by daverose1 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:02 pm

I'm Done lurking. Got my M3 Grant Today! Really nice! Turret's hard to turn. I don't want to force things:( The cast pattern on the turret looks a little extreme. The Turret hatch is clunky (overscale and ugly). The antenea are very nice wires, they do need to be glued down though. The TC figure looks strange, oddly proportioned and doesn't fit in turret. Overall very cool vehical, one of my favorites. Old wargamer. We now need a Honey and some DAK armor. I'll see if I can figure out how to post Photos.

Read You Later
David

c44
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Grant me a wish...easy to find a new Grant...

Post by c44 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:49 pm

Would love to see photos...where did you get a hold of the Grant? & is the crew member a new fig?
C44
...Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

donnieboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

FOV GRANT

Post by donnieboy » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:54 pm

Hey Dave: Welcome aboard and thanks for the intel concerning the Grant.
Can't wait to get mine! I guess the British did fairly well with it against Rommel in North Africa, although the Russians called it "the coffin for seven brothers"-they got a bunch of Grants from us via Lend-Lease. BTW, for those wondering what a "Honey" is, it's what the British called the M3/M5 Stuart. They loved that little thang!
Go Starbuck!

daverose1
Corporal
Corporal

M3 Grant

Post by daverose1 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:29 pm

Found it on Ebay last Friday. I promtly began looking in all the usual places but nobody had a word to say about it. I offered what I thought was a rather low bid for a new release that nobody seemed to have. I like the rolled tarps, they give the vehical a nice desert look. The figure is new I believe, different from the
Matilda's TC (at least my older 'action' matilda). The figure has a LOONG skiny neck, odd hunched posture, and the complexion on face and hands is different. I think I'll replace him with the matilda's TC. I'ld like to add the Crusader to my Africa wish list.
Read You Later
David

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:28 am

I just recieved my FOV M3 Grant yesterday. They have aparently just come in to most retailers. It is a nice and well detailed tank, and the accessories are great. One can make the tank look "loaded down." I was pleased to see that it was Gen. Montgomery's tank, complete with a very dark-tanned figure of Monty himself! However, I thought FOV could have included a few more opening hatches other than just the commander's (like they did on the T-34, M-26, King Tiger, and Jagdpanther, for example.) Still, its an interesting looking tank and gives us another allied tank for the North Africa campaign!

Here's Monty's actual tank. The FOV version differes in its paintjob. The vehicle has been restored and is displayed at the Imperial War Museum in London, England.

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:44 am

I didnt know Montgomery had his own tank. I always saw pictures of him riding around in some sort of heavy feild car or armored car. I must agree that the FOV model is pretty good. The tracks are the correct pattern for the Grant and the detail is decent. My figure did fit well into the commanders hatch. His neck is a bit stretched, but we can do a little surgury and cover the scar with a bandana or neckercheif. His coloring is more like a fellow from the Indian branch of the British Army. The only problem I had with the tank was that the 37 mm gun does not depress to a proper low position. Some minor work here is in order. Opening side hatches would have been a big plus though.

I hope they do a M3 Lee and paint it up as "Lulu Bell" as in the movie "Sahara". I want to be able to shoot down an Me-109 with one shot from the 37mm gun just as they did in the movie...

TJ