Rubber Tires On Model Aircraft

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Coreyeagle48
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Rubber Tires On Model Aircraft

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:46 pm

Greetings Everyone!

I am curious to everyone who has models with the real rubber tires such as the Hobbymaster pieces, Franklin Mint pieces, etc.

Has anyone had any issues with rubber tires cracking? Is there any way to prevent cracking of tires from occuring?

I know my tires on my Authentic Models planes cracked easily and in a very short time frame. I chalked it up to cheap rubber being used for the tires but I was wondering/worried about my more expensive pieces. Anyone with any Franklin Mint pieces or Hobby Master pieces care to elaborate on your experiences?

If cracking rubber is an issue maybe companies should make tires from an alternate material?

Corey
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: Rubber Tires On Model Aircraft

Post by GooglyDoogly » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:48 am

The main problem with those "rubber" tires is they're not actually rubber, but PVC soft vinyl. If they actually use rubber on those tires then the cost is gonna be more costly, with less detail at such a small scale.

One way to prevent such cracking is to make sure that your model is far away from sunlight, or any other direct heat source, like lamps, etc.