Can you find FoV bombers in stores? Target or TRU?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Panzer_M
Officer - Brigadier General

Can you find FoV bombers in stores? Target or TRU?

Post by Panzer_M » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:45 pm

and if so what do they retail for there?
good traders/sellers/buyers
Alloyskull(x2), PanzerArm(x2), Ostketten, Mikeg,tmanthegreat,Coreyeagle48

Sky Ray
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Sky Ray » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:14 am

Nope, I never saw them and I don't think they ever made it to mass retail.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:08 am

Sky Ray wrote:Nope, I never saw them and I don't think they ever made it to mass retail.
SkyRay is correct, I have never seen them nor heard reports from anyone that has found them at either store.
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

GI546
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by GI546 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:42 am

i thought TRU and target didn't sell FOV anymore. :?

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:26 am

The bombers never went to mass retail and have stayed in the $50 - $60 price range at the small retailers.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:38 am

shoot, I wanted to "see" one in hand before I ordered one.
good traders/sellers/buyers
Alloyskull(x2), PanzerArm(x2), Ostketten, Mikeg,tmanthegreat,Coreyeagle48

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:51 pm

I know Badcat has some decent pictures of the actual product. I don't have pictures, but can provide a bit of a review, if it will help.

The planes use a lot of diecast in the construction, including the wings and fuselage. Turrets rotate and the guns can elevate. Props turn and wheels roll. The props can be a bit delicate and can bend easily. The planes come with the pieces to display the landing gear up or down - the parts for the B-26 are somewhat delicate to handle due to the design of the opened landing gear doors. The bombay on the B-25 opens and has better interior detail than the Corgi B-25. The B-26 comes with the pieces to display the doors open or closed and the bay is nicely detailed with the catwalk and bombs. it is a little tricky getting the closed doors to fit properly on the B-26 and the opened ones have difficulty staying in place (I lost one of the opened doors for my B-26 for months until it turned up inside a box in my attic...)

The B-26 has the better cockpit detail with seats, controls, instruments, etc. The B-25 ahs the same features, just not done as well as on the B-26. Overall, the cockpits are similar to what one sees on a Corgi bomber, though the Corgi figures are painted better. Both bombers only have the pilot and co-pilot figures - no other heads are seen polking through the turrets or gun positions. The bombadier compartment on the B-26 is not hollow and the clear nose is placed over the filled-in space. Both planes come with the clear FOV aircraft stands and do stay on the stands well.

The paintwork is generally good, but there is room for paint flaws and glue/oil/paint streaks that one never sees on a Corgi aircraft. Some of that may be Unimax's attempt at weathering as opposed to actual QC flaws. The bombers are classified as "Enthusiast" edition pieces after all. But do not expect the sharp clarity of the markings that one sees on a Corgi bomber.

Still, I have both the S1 versions of the B-26 and B-25 and like them both. The B-26 is so-far unique in the diecast world as is the B-25 in the gunship configuration. Although they are inferior to the Corgi bombers, they are more affordable and display just fine next to the Corgi planes. The new S2 "silver" examples of the FOV aircraft look great and will be worth the purchase in my opinion :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."