Is this price for real?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
blurx7
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Is this price for real?

Post by blurx7 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:32 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 500wt_1025

Am I missing something? I know people like the P-38 in this series, but this seems way over the top.
Geoff

ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ostketten » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:48 pm

I'm not all that familiar with the Matchbox line, my collection is limited to a couple of 1/72 Shermans, this thing must be "Uber Rare" to fetch that kind of coin though.... :shock:
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:59 pm

Not as "rare" as they used to be. This was before Corgi and Witty made the P-38 and ONLY Matchbox made one, then they were "Uber Rare".
Not so much anymore... One reason it has 8hrs to go and no takers.
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:29 pm

There have been many instances lately of people spending, in my opinion, waaaaaaaay too much for all of these items. I'm a collecter and I would probably be classified as an obcessive compulsive collecter, but this is ridiculous. Once again Ebay and all of these people who are willing to pay these prices are ruining things..... We're not talking about a rare gem, a work of art...... Perhaps the economy has improved elsewhere...... Oh well.......
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

GI546
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by GI546 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:48 pm

you could buy certain FIGARTI vehicles for that price. :shock:

that price is way over the top.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:43 pm

I've got a few of those P-38's.
The whole series used to be at Target for around $10 a piece.

The box says Matchbox, but on the plane's bottom it also says Dinky.

That particular one is way over priced.
They don't have moveable or position-able landing gear either.

I bought a bunch of them because they were cheap and available back in the day.
They made quite a few different WWII and WWI planes, and even some jets.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:00 pm

Once again Ebay and all of these people who are willing to pay these prices are ruining things....
Well, I don't know if we can blame ebay for this... that might be a bit of a stretch. Now, as for the people paying the ridiculous prices... as PT Barnum supposedly once said, There's a sucker born every minute... :lol:
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:46 pm

Very well put.....
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

bboc
Corporal
Corporal

Whatever someone wants to pay

Post by bboc » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:32 pm

I sold the one I had several years ago for $80.00 when I decided that it was better to sell than to hold. But we collectors are funny about collecting series and filling in holes. If someone wants to buy it for that much, then they will. If not, they will just wait until the price comes down.

blurx7
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by blurx7 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:20 am

Well nobody did want it that bad... but it is relisted, at the same price. :shock:
Geoff

DropTank
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by DropTank » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:30 am

Still listed way overpriced in my opinion. However not as pricey as the $395.00 listing, but wait, he throws in free shipping on his. :D
FLY NAVY

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:13 am

DropTank wrote:Still listed way overpriced in my opinion. However not as pricey as the $395.00 listing, but wait, he throws in free shipping on his. :D

Yeah, the guy that is selling this one has been on the crack pipe too long..
http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Matchbox-Dieca ... 3efa63579e
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

blurx7
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by blurx7 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:47 pm

Insanity! I have one of these. If either of these sells for anything like these prices I may have to list mine, too. :D
Geoff

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:32 pm

I realize this isn't quite the same but I purchased a 1/32 1941 Chevy Army flatbed truck and 1941 Jeep for $10.00 today at a model RR show. I'm definitely going to keep looking for bargains......
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

DropTank
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by DropTank » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:17 pm

hworth18 wrote:
Actually Harry he sold 1 about 3 yrs ago for $495.00. He originally listed this 1 also at $495.00 and I inquired if it was possible that these were in fact autographed by Robin Olds to make them demand that price. He indicated no, that they were just rare. Whether or not someone else feels it is rare enough to demand that price remains to be seen. I think I will pass.
I still remember seeing 3 shelves of these stacked up at KB toys in Las Vegas for $5.00 and not getting more than I did. :oops:
I think both P-38's in box are a legit $20-$25 IMO.
FLY NAVY

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:48 pm

Well, as I noted above, these were rare at one time but I just don't see them commanding even 10% of the price he is asking now. I guess timing is everything and he held on to this one for too long. But as you said it is up to someone to determine whether they want to pay that kind of price.

DropTank wrote:
hworth18 wrote:
Actually Harry he sold 1 about 3 yrs ago for $495.00. He originally listed this 1 also at $495.00 and I inquired if it was possible that these were in fact autographed by Robin Olds to make them demand that price. He indicated no, that they were just rare. Whether or not someone else feels it is rare enough to demand that price remains to be seen. I think I will pass.
I still remember seeing 3 shelves of these stacked up at KB toys in Las Vegas for $5.00 and not getting more than I did. :oops:
I think both P-38's in box are a legit $20-$25 IMO.
-Howard Stark

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:04 pm

I'm not a Matchbox collector, but if you look at the wording in his listing it's a tad misleading... it says something like "one of six, and blah blah blah", so if you were unfamiliar with the product line, and just glanced over the ad, you could possibly be fooled into believing only six of these were made... :?