Any hope for affordable 1/32 in 2010?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
RAD 2112
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Any hope for affordable 1/32 in 2010?

Post by RAD 2112 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:19 am

FYI: I would consider "affordable" as being $60 or less...

With JSI emerging with 21st Century's 1:18 molds, whatever happened with their 1/32 molds?
Are we to believe that 21C will rise from the ashes as a new entity with new repaints? It's a nice thought, but I wouldn't bank on it.

Also, what's up with BBI? After the Phantom, they've been particularly quiet.
I think they really did an exceptional job with the Wildcat, Dauntless & Phantom aircraft.
Since they have already started down the path of US Naval Aircraft, I would like to see them issue more in the near future (ie. F6F Hellcat, F7F Tigercat, F8F-2 Bearcat, F-8 Crusader, F-14 Tomcat, F-18 Hornet)

Famemaster's 4D F-14 looks great next to BBI's F-4, but still, it's a little on the pricey side for my taste.

BTW: Did Admiral Toys consider getting into the 1/32 arena as well?

It would be nice to hear that something was on the horizon in 1/32.
There is no security in this life. There is only opportunity.
- Gen Douglas MacArthur

Safe Trader List:
Black Lion VF-213, hworth18, KWR190, nooker 21, Olifant, Tmanthegreat, Trigger1, V2 MAN, vulgarvulture, Coreyeagle48

hworth18
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by hworth18 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:34 am

Hey Scott,
I don't know what the future of 1/32 is right now, it all seems to be up in the air. Speculation is that someone besides JSI bought 21st's 1/32 molds, but with the economic climate the way it is, this company is holding off producing anything until things get better.

I can't say why BBI is so slow on their 1/32 releases other than the fact that they are overpriced which has a tendency to keep people from buying even when they have the money. I feel that BBI could have produced their product and gotten away with a $20-25 pricetag to be more inline with the 21st market, especially since they could have been sold at a retailer like Walmart and taken over where 21st left off. 1/32 stuff always sold well at Walmart unlike the huge dust collectors/shelf warmers that the 1/18 stuff was. I am a huge 1/32 collector and I don't own a BBI plane just for the fact that I refuse to pay $50 ($40+shipping) for a plane that has less options than the $15 plane I bought at Walmart!
Either it is poor marketing strategy by BBI, or they don't understand the market in general.
Admiral Toys is a mystery.. I think they started to think about 1/32, but found they couldn't produce the product at the pricepoint to compete with 21st. The thing is, 21st's stuff was always under-priced especially when you look at the later releases. As I said above, I think the prices could have gone into the $25 range and still sold very well.
I hope we will see new 1/32 product for the coming year, but I have since started building up my 1/32 model kit collection and buying up 1/32 21st planes when I can for repaints to satisfy my needs since I just don't see it happening.

Love your "Avatar" btw.. :wink:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:46 am

Admiral did a 1:32 Nakajima Kate. Jason provided prototype pics over on his site:

http://www.collectorsaccess.com/phpBB3/ ... 6&start=10

I would have loved to seen it in Pearl harbor colors. You know they would have had to come up with a Val sooner or later.

The 1:32 line is the big mystery of the demise of 21st Century toys. I haven't even heard any rumors as to who got the molds. Nobody knows.

I agree with Hworth18 in that 21st 1:32 did well
in Walmart, with the exception of a few shelfwarmers for the most part they had a good turn around. Right price right size.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:17 am

I am hoping that TRU selling the FOV stuff in new packaging is a step in the right direction. The Lee's and Stuarts went fast at my store. I bought a Lee and there were three left and two Stuarts, when I went back yesterday to pick up a Stuart, all the Lee's were gone and there was only one Stuart. I think people are hungry for 1:32. The back of the box shows the Deuce and Elefant, I hope those show up as well as the KV-1.
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

AMERICAN_GRENADIER

Post by AMERICAN_GRENADIER » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:32 am

THE HOLE IS SO BIG IN 1/32 RIGHT NOW ANYTHING WOULD BE GREAT
"SEMPER FIDELIS!"
Good Traders: Buckyroo, Razor17019, Sentinel
exether_mega, Snake, thehun, Mesa

RAD 2112
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RAD 2112 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:56 am

hworth18 wrote: I don't own a BBI plane just for the fact that I refuse to pay $50 ($40+shipping) for a plane that has less options than the $15 plane I bought at Walmart!

Love your "Avatar" btw.. :wink:
With the disappearance of 21C, I caved and bought 1 of each BBI plane... :roll:

Thanks Harry. Star Blazers was one of my favorite shows growing up. I am looking forward to the "Rebirth" storyline.
Avatar was one of the few characters I could imitate. Makes for great satire.
Dauntless wrote: Admiral did a 1:32 Nakajima Kate. Jason provided prototype pics over on his site:
I remember seeing that a while ago, but I think that was before the economy tanked.

I did pick up a FoV Bravo Team BF-109 (Hartmann) at Target this past week. Very toyish in comparison to 21C... but more durable for kid play.
My 8 year old son has shown an interest in my collection, so I gave him that one.
- Gen Douglas MacArthur

Safe Trader List:
Black Lion VF-213, hworth18, KWR190, nooker 21, Olifant, Tmanthegreat, Trigger1, V2 MAN, vulgarvulture, Coreyeagle48

Ruger
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Ruger » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:21 am

Rowsdower wrote:I am hoping that TRU selling the FOV stuff in new packaging is a step in the right direction. The Lee's and Stuarts went fast at my store. I bought a Lee and there were three left and two Stuarts, when I went back yesterday to pick up a Stuart, all the Lee's were gone and there was only one Stuart. I think people are hungry for 1:32. The back of the box shows the Deuce and Elefant, I hope those show up as well as the KV-1.
I don't know, my TRU has removed 1:32 entirely. Combined with FOV's lackluster Bravo Team line at Target, and FOV stating that they won't be doing any quality modern anymore, it's looking like the end is in sight for me. Luckily I've got most of what I want, and am happy with my collection overall. Now I can go ahead and be patient and afford to spend more to track down items that I do want. So I guess there's still an upside...

MV
"When I went into Kuwait I had 39 tanks, after six weeks of air bombardment, I had 32 left. After 20 minutes in action against the M1's, I had none." Iraqi BN Cdr, 1991
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/CanteenX/Blowing-Smoke-sig.jpg[/img]

nooker21
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by nooker21 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:59 am

I had heard rumours that someone had indeed picked up the molds, but I haven't heard anything since, and it seemed a kind of hush-hush thing until an official announcement was made. SO someone out there is aware of the demand, but like the previous posts, maybe the economy is stalling any relaunches.

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:40 pm

With our luck, the company that bought the 21st molds will start their 32nd line at the end of 2011.... Just in time for the end of the world :wink:
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General Patton

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:07 pm

Col.Pickle wrote:With our luck, the company that bought the 21st molds will start their 32nd line at the end of 2011.... Just in time for the end of the world :wink:
Set for release on Dec 25th, 2012..... :wink:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

c44
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Hamster vs Elefant

Post by c44 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:26 pm

re: My 8 year old son has shown an interest...so I gave him [a 109]...almost ditto for me, I gave my 4 yr. old grandson the 109 & the P-51, now they're amongst the coolest toys he'll ever have...honestly, I think kids are the target demographic for the Bravo team stuff, & I don't hold that against Unimax...just keep the enthusiast stuff coming...PS my local TRU has the Deuce truck and the Elefant, and they're moving quite nicely, but not, of course, as fast as the Zhu Zhu pets... :)
C44
...Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see...

Rowsdower

Re: Hamster vs Elefant

Post by Rowsdower » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:12 pm

c44 wrote:PS my local TRU has the Deuce truck and the Elefant, and they're moving quite nicely, but not, of course, as fast as the Zhu Zhu pets... :)
Awesome! I hope to see both!
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

aq3
Private First Class
Private First Class

Future of 1/32

Post by aq3 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:12 am

Just at a local TRU in Willow Grove PA. Brand new store, opened about 1 month ago. Shelves stocked full of 1/32 and 1/72 FOV variants. Sorry to see that Stryker is plastic.
AQ3 - Pennsylvania

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:05 pm

So..what did happen to those 1/32 molds now that there is some good news (at least for some 1:18 possibly) from the former 21C ?

GI546
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by GI546 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:59 pm

why do all my TRUs suck? :?:

seriously.last time i checked all they had was the new assault force and some 1:72-which ibought-and my other TRU has nothing and probably never will.
P.S. they also has the 1:32 36th infantry but i got it already.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:08 pm

One Wal Mart in my area has a lone 32x Operation Torch: Tunisia playset with the Stuart and German mortar pit. That and a lone Hetzer I saw at TRU recently are the only 21c 1:32 items still available at mass retail in my town. Both TRUs still have a number of the FOV Action Grade MLRS, HIMARS and Paladin or two for full price - and they wonder why none of it sells? Then there is all the plastic Bravo Team/Action Force stuff all over at TRU and Target.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:24 pm

It was about this time last year that Bravo Team released the Stryker and the two WWII aircraft. It appears there's no new releases..... Too bad. Hopefully something will break loose.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

RAD 2112
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RAD 2112 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:42 pm

nooker21 wrote:I had heard rumours that someone had indeed picked up the molds, but I haven't heard anything since, and it seemed a kind of hush-hush thing until an official announcement was made. SO someone out there is aware of the demand, but like the previous posts, maybe the economy is stalling any relaunches.
Maybe that "someone" was the reincarnation of 21st Century that is still lurking in the shadows.
TKO211 mentioned something about 21C coming back as a new entity in the 1:18 forum.
Apparently, their first release will be a repainted P-51D with nude art.

I hope they come back with their 1/32 planes as well.

I wouldn't mind a 1/32 P-51D repaint of either of the following:
Chuck Weaver's P-51

Capt. Arval J. Roberson's "Passion Wagon"
- Gen Douglas MacArthur

Safe Trader List:

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:14 pm

I would love to see that OD green "Passion Wagon" P-51D.
Even P-51D "Old Crow" in the OD scheme and the Silver version would be neat.
Really though I would welcome almost any new P-51D in 1/32.

snake

Post by snake » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:08 am

I would love to see any new releases in 1/32.
By any company, 21 Century quality,and up.

Slightly off topic,but I pre-ordered the upcoming Corgi 1/32 "Doe" Spitfire.
$125,plus shipping.
Not cheap,but the first Corgi 1/32 release in a while.
"Night Reaper" Hurricane was released over a year ago,and before that it was a number of years ago,that Corgi released any 1/32. :cry:

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:25 pm

The way things are going we may have to dig deeper into the pocket for Corgi 1/32 planes....
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:52 am

With the recent announcement from our good friend tko211, spokesperson for All-Go toys, I'm wondering if possibly now there is hope for some 1/32.

It would seem logical for them to release some of their more recent toolings in different schemes.

If the news of the 1:18 Spitfire's mold has been lost or broken, it would be cool to see all of the previous Spits released in 1/32. Even the one pictured on the box, surely they had plans for.

NKK
ZPA
DWK
4Q-D Day
as well as the one we thought we were going to get, the Polish squadron one was it?

Hows about getting back on the stick with some more of the excellent mold of the P-51D?
They could issue a limited 1/32 version of the "Passion Wagon" for special order after the 1:18 version sells out. Maybe do the silver one too. Then roll right on where they left off with more D's and B/C's. We sill haven't seen any "Old Crow" P-51D or B/C in 1/32. There are many possibilities still to be realized.

Sure there would be a price increase, maybe not as high as BBI's planes, but people are scrambling for the 1/32 anyways as we have seen on the secondary market.

I'm just sayin' with the economy the way it is, and 1:18 becoming increasingly a rich man's sport, surely there's room for some 1/32. If indeed the elusive molds still belong to All-Go, there would be a limited risk in re-issuing at least the newer and more popular mold P-51D's, of which we only saw 3, and especially the Spitfire, of which we only saw 1.

RAD 2112
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RAD 2112 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:02 am

I hope so...
Who else would have the 1/32 molds?

BTW: Did I call that paint scheme, or what? :wink:
- Gen Douglas MacArthur

Safe Trader List:

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:13 am

Indeed you did! 8)

RAD 2112, maybe you've already seen it, but take a look at this old thread about halfway down. They was "lots of talk" about a WWII 4 engine aircraft in 1/32.
viewtopic.php?t=17118&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40

RAD 2112
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RAD 2112 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:06 pm

I could go for a B-17...
- Gen Douglas MacArthur

Safe Trader List: