Another King & Counrty Question

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
gk5717
Sergeant
Sergeant

re: K&C

Post by gk5717 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:33 pm

I think only Andy knows for sure. But for example I read somewhere that there were only 1000 of the new 88,s made and that was it.
I know early on they would make only 50 of some of their early vehicles, that,s why they are impossible to find.
When you look at the big picture a 1000 worldwide is not very many. Plus the stuff is so expensive that a person would really have to gamble to attempt to horde an item in case the value rises.
As all the new collectors on this board can attest, K&C is addictive and even tho the value goes up and up, it just makes you want to hold the item more.
Example, 2 and a half years ago I bought one of the Arniehm sets that just sold on ebay last week for $615, I paid $85. There is no way, barring a finacial emergeny would I ever part with that set.
My advice to any new collecter, if there is a retired set out there that you know somewhere down the road you just have to have get it now or you won,t be able to afford it later on.
I had that happen to me with the winter tiger, put it off, now it is impossible to even find, much less pay an ungodly amount for it.

fullyautomatic
Corporal
Corporal

Grab them while you can

Post by fullyautomatic » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:34 pm

In regards to any K&C WWII items, especially the D-Day or Waffen SS sets, if you find anything with set numbers below 30 they are pretty much retired.I see some sets offered on e-bay recently that are labelled as retired and are actually not or are still available at dealers.The best thing, like suggested in prior posts is to go to the K&C homepage and look up the dealers across the US or abroad.Contact these dealers via email or phone and ask them about certain sets that you might be interested in.Alot of the times dealers take trades or buy from collectors and if they know you are interested they can contact you.Deals for older sets are few and far between.Like Gary said the prices on some of these sets have gone through the roof.Most dealers are not out to make the inflated prices that ebay items sell for.They would rather sell you something and then hope for you to purchase future sets.
The search for older sets will take some work and time on your part.Its going to depend on your bank account to.The sets are out there but it will cost you dearly for some of those very early sets and hard to find items.Toy shows are hit and miss.I have only found the OTSN Chicago show to be of any benefit in finding sets I need.Its very depressing driving 2-3 hours to a show and find nothing but crap.I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me.Recently I found DD13(Jeep and trailer) and DD09(Ambulance) MIB for original retail price.Did I need them?No but I couldn't turn down the price because I know I can trade or sell them to get something else.
Sorry for the long post.FlammenPanzer did you find SP08?Good luck K&C collectors.Its nice to see our numbers grow.We need to twist Mr Football's arm just a little more and I think he will join our ranks.... :lol:

gk5717
Sergeant
Sergeant

K&C Sidebar

Post by gk5717 » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:20 am

This is really for advanced K&C collectors, but K&C does specialty sets such as the DelPrado line where you get a figure with an Osprey book, They have done 3 sets as of now, Soldiers of the World, from WW1 thru the 80,s, Napolianics, and currently mounted Napolianics.
I,ve just found the Soldiers of the British Empire, however I cannot find any further info on them.
He has done a set for Spirit of 76 Toy Soldier shop, Famous Americans, I,ve just recently contacted them about the 2nd series and they responded it would be out in the future, which tells me that line may be in trouble.
Also he does figures for various European books and magazines.
The problem with all of the above they are not available here in the USA.
And I will say the Del Prado line the figures are not quite as good as his regular sets, an 8 on a 10 scale.
There I,ve added even more to look out for.