Picked up an A6M2 Zero on Evilbay

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
RAD 2112
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Picked up an A6M2 Zero on Evilbay

Post by RAD 2112 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:07 am

Since I started collecting 32x between the Bf-109 and re-tololed P-51 releases, I have been playing "catch-up" on the past releases.
Fortunately, I was able to get an A6M2 Zero NIB for $15 on Evilbay.

Stock photo:

Being an older release (2006), I was very impressed with the detailing of the plane.
The landing gear is fairly accurate and sturdy and a movable tail hook which stays in place.

The sliding canopy is probably one of the best features on the plane.
If 21st Century did this back in 2006, why couldn't they do this for the P-51Cs and Spitfires in 2007/2008? I had to use Elmer's glue to keep those in place. :?

The only negatives about the Zero is that there are no movable flaps or rudder... but that's inconsequential to the overall quality of the plane.
In fact, before assembling the Zero I noticed there were O2 tanks behind the cockpit. They're not noticeable after assembly, but they're there.

Overall, I think the Zero is one of the best planes from 21st Century.
Now I just need to find an A6M3...
There is no security in this life. There is only opportunity.
- Gen Douglas MacArthur

Safe Trader List:
Black Lion VF-213, hworth18, KWR190, nooker 21, Olifant, Tmanthegreat, Trigger1, V2 MAN, vulgarvulture, Coreyeagle48

hworth18
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by hworth18 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:46 am

The Zeros are awesome! If you were to take it apart, you would see that there is actually a complete cockpit in there with many details that aren't visible once assembled (which is unfortuante). I only have 2 Zeros now, but once had all of them. The Akagi A6M2 is my favorite one of all and it is probably one of the hardest to find. :wink:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:58 am

Truly an excellent plane. I wouldn't necessairly call it an "older" release. 2006 was really the high-water mark for all 21c products, being the year we got several new 32x planes, including the Zeros, Macchis, Corsair, and Stuka. The Zero does have alot of wonderful detail, with the cockpit being nearly as intricate as the 1:18 BBI Zero.

I recently found the white A6M2 V-103 Zero at TRU. I once had the same plane, but gave it to another boardmember as the three Zeros I already had were enough for me.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

RAD 2112
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by RAD 2112 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:31 pm

I used "older" in the respect that 21C made a sliding canopy that worked and looked good on the Zero, but didn't continue that with the P-51C or Spitfire.
I think both of those planes would have been exceptional if they had canopies that worked similar to the Zero.

That's all I meant by that.
There is no security in this life. There is only opportunity.
- Gen Douglas MacArthur

Safe Trader List:
Black Lion VF-213, hworth18, KWR190, nooker 21, Olifant, Tmanthegreat, Trigger1, V2 MAN, vulgarvulture, Coreyeagle48

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:43 pm

I've got all of the six different Zeros.

Can't wait for the BBI Wildcat. The Zero needs another Fighter adversary besides a Corsair, and no Taylor and Welch P-40's in 1:32.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec