1/32 BBI Dauntless Review with Photos

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Coreyeagle48
Officer - Brigadier General

1/32 BBI Dauntless Review with Photos

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:02 pm

Greetings:

My BBI Dauntless arrived today after super fast shipping from The Motor Pool. I chose the Motor Pool because with the close proximity of them to me, their shipping was better and faster than Badcat. Thanks Lightining for the fast service on this wonderful model from BBI.

As most everyone knows, the Dauntless was used by the United States Navy during World War II until replaced by the Helldiver. It was loved by its crews and is best known for its heroic role in defeating the Japanese fleet at the Battle of Midway. For such a great airplane, it is sad that I have only seen two in my airshow travels. One is operated by the CAF Museum and the other one hangs with pride in the Naval Aviation room at the National Air and Space Museum. When this model was annouced I was hoping for a model that did this one justice without me building one as I just don't have the time to build anymore. BBI has done a wonderful job with this model.

The model comes packaged in a very compact box and is packaged with stronger ties used for computer wires, etc. This holds the parts nicely in place in the box. The plane assembles nicely and easily for the most part. The main wings snap into place and are sturdy. The rear wings I can also say the same about as well. The smaller pieces include the canopy, bomb racks and bombs as well as the radio mast and barometer. A spare barometer was included with mine, either by design or by mistake. The bomb racks snap into place firmly and the bombs fit to them in a very tight fashion. My advice is to snap the bomb racks into place first and not the whole attachement. The barometer and radio mast fit well. The barometer plastic is a little soft for me, but this is not a big deal. Although I did not measure it inch for inch, the Dauntless appears to be close to scale by looking at some of the 1/32 aircraft in my collection and then comparing their sizes on a poster I have.

First a picture of our subject. This is the Dauntless that hangs in the naval aviation room of the National Air and Space Museum.

The pilot and half gunner figure fit nicely into their positions with the open canopies. Much has been made on this forum of the half gunner figure, but honestly it is not a big deal, as the gun mount really hides where his legs would be anyway. The gun mount and twin .30's are well designed and look nice. Up front, the pilot figure is very well done and sits in the cockpit nicely. The cockpit is nicely done and looks good as well. The front canopy works nicely and the back canopy when in position fits super nicely, unlike the recent models from 21st where they fall off frequently. The locking tabs are terrific and although take away from realism, are a good solid design and provide a way to keep it locked in place. Although I like the idea of a closed canopy, I will most likely leave the aircraft canopy open as most pictures of the Dauntless crews in flight show the aircraft with the canopies open.

This is a view of the plane with the canopies in closed position. The highlight of this model for me is the paint job, it is quite frankly flawless. The paint is perfect, graphics perfect and colors and weathering blended nicely. This model makes the paint job on my new 21st Spitfire look pitful in comparison. The price point is steeper than 21st, but the paint is simply better. The landing gear work nicely and close to look like the actual Dauntless.

This is the underside of the plane. The bomb racks and bombs fit nicely underneath the aircraft. The smaller racks fit tight and one of my tabs broke while I pushed it in. Super glue will fix this but they do fit tight. I'd rather them fit tight than loose however and breaking it was my issue because I forced it in place anyway.

This is a view from the back. The back wings do droop a little bit, but as someone else said on this forum, this is actually true to the actual aircraft. Though there are no moving control surfaces, the detail on the model is excellent and the paint job more than makes up for that in my opinion. The paint scheme and application is better than the F-4, which in my opinion was the best aircraft to date.

Overall, this is a terrific effort on the part of BBI. The Dauntless defintely has some high points including the terrific paint scheme, excellent graphics, nicely detailed crew area and creating a much loved but forgotten aircraft of World War II compared with more popular fighters. Although moving control surfaces would have been nice, I hope this is only the start of more 1/32 models from BBI with even more details and functionality. I am quite happy with my Dauntless, and it is a great addition to my growing collection of 1/32 aircraft.

And just for fun, the Dauntless with its nemesis in the Pacific War, the dreaded Zero.

My great thanks to Lightining and the Motor Pool for getting this aircraft to me fast and providing such a nice example.
Last edited by Coreyeagle48 on Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:45 pm

Thanks for the review and the pictures. Mine has a flawless paint job also, and I really like how well the pilot and gunner are painted. Beautiful model, bring on the F4F Wildcat! :D
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

olifant

Post by olifant » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:55 pm

Thank you for taking the time to post and write this wonderful review. I was pooh poohing this release but now I know I must have one. The only difficulty will be waiting for the 1/18 109 to come in so I can save on shipping!
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:24 pm

COREYEAGLE48:

Thanks for the very good review and great photos. I was going to pass on BBI's SBD and F4F and save my money for the BBI 1/32 F-104, but after reading your review, I might reconsider.

I'm really looking forward to BBI's future 1/32 planes.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:39 pm

I was beaten to the punch photo-wise, but I think the write-up beats anything I would have written anyway.

Like everyone, the only thing I dislike is lack of movement but otherwise this is one of my nicest models now. I am definitely in line for a Wildcat and anything else BBI decides to release.

And thanks, Motor Pool.

Jagdpanther
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jagdpanther » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:39 am

Thanks for the great review and pics corey! Cant wait for the Wildcat. :D
Last edited by Jagdpanther on Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[img88]http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s281/army5551/160392_1114600356-1.jpg[/img88]

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:58 am

Thanks for the review & photos, Corey! Hopefully this will convince a few of the stragglers to get one. It really is a very nice effort by BBI. I can't wait for the Wildcat 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:09 pm

Amen Tman, I am eagerly awaiting the Wilcat myself.
Aaron

My pathetic fantasy football team:

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/1804/polocksia2.jpg[/img][/url]

aktiger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by aktiger » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:25 pm

Thanks Corey. The paint detail on the figures is excellent. Wonder why Hobby Master couldn't do this for $160? :?

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:48 pm

May have to pick one up myself. This month I plunked down 50 bucks for a FOV PZIV so it will have to wait. 8)
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:36 pm

On a side note regarding the Dauntless, you can put the gunner in the back seat while the rear canopy is on, one just has to turn him sideways :wink:

Fox Tare-28
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Fox Tare-28 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:37 pm

SWEET! This hobby is getting better and better. :shock:

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:58 am

And just for fun, the Dauntless with its nemesis in the Pacific War, the dreaded Zero.
It was the SBD that almost took the life of Japanese ace Saburo Sakai.

I noticed not once you used the official Naval Designation for the bomber(SBD-3)...just "Dauntless" :!:
good traders/sellers/buyers
Alloyskull(x2), PanzerArm(x2), Ostketten, Mikeg,tmanthegreat,Coreyeagle48

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:14 am

Panzer_M wrote:I noticed not once you used the official Naval Designation for the bomber(SBD-3)...just "Dauntless" :!:
At least he didn't refer to it an A-24 Banshee, as the SBDs used by the USAAF were designated :wink:

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:14 am

er I put that baddly in my other post I mean it's a model of the -3 of the SBD which showed up in 1941.
or it should be if my memory serves right.

on the other hand, I never like the callsign/moniker Dauntless, sounded too british and didn't have the agressive flair of the other naval planes. IMO....esp when compared to the combat record the SBD gave during the war.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:21 pm

Actually, "Dauntless" is quite fitting for a naval plane that faced immense odds and almost single-handedly turned the tide of war at Coral Sea, Midway, and many other important battles in the Pacific campaign.

"Dauntless," after all, means "fearless" :wink:

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:33 pm

I know what the word means. I am not one of the un-educated of the US.

I guess over all the PTO is not as enduring to me as some, well I find it envoking as watching paint dry on a wall...I just find little interest in the conflict...it's just not my cup of tea.

The only bit I find somewhat entertaining to read about is Imphal 1944. which isn't really PTO, but does involve the IJA.
Last edited by Panzer_M on Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:38 pm

n/t