Why???

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
RA5BS
Corporal
Corporal

Why???

Post by RA5BS » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:51 am

Have picked up several FOV pieces over the past few weeks. Can someone enlighten me as to why many of the American vehicles come adorned with the Stars and Stripes (although now that I think about it, they couldn't squeeze it on the Jeep) prominently diplayed on their hind quarters. I mean even the winter whitewash halftrack has Old Glory slapped on it. Don't get me wrong, I love the ol' Red, White and Blue as much as the next person ( despite leaning slightly left in the political spectrum! ) but I look at my sources and do not see the 1/1 prototypes so embellished. Perhaps I missed it. Do other vehicles fom other contries modeled by FOV have national flags stuck on them? I pose this question for the sake of historical accuracy. Just curious. Thanks.
"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today..."

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:55 am

When the US shipped out to Tunisia for what ended up being the first real area of land battle between the US and German forces in WW2, many of the US armored vehicles had the US flag painted on them as an additional identification "flash" as it was suspected the white star wouldnt be enough. The photographic evidence I have shows the flag on a halftrack. The flag was painted on both sides in the back. In the photo evidence though, the flag on the passenger side is painted in the reverse position with the blue field and stars leading to the front of the vehicle (correct as per flag regulations) , while the FOV models mearly have the same image stamped on both sides, with the "passenger" side being incorrrect with the blue field to the rear (never retreat-wrong way). I am sure there is more to this, but it should get you started...

TJ

olifant
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by olifant » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:25 am

krieglok wrote:When the US shipped out to Tunisia for what ended up being the first real area of land battle between the US and German forces in WW2, many of the US armored vehicles had the US flag painted on them as an additional identification "flash" as it was suspected the white star wouldnt be enough. The photographic evidence I have shows the flag on a halftrack. The flag was painted on both sides in the back. In the photo evidence though, the flag on the passenger side is painted in the reverse position with the blue field and stars leading to the front of the vehicle (correct as per flag regulations) , while the FOV models mearly have the same image stamped on both sides, with the "passenger" side being incorrrect with the blue field to the rear (never retreat-wrong way). I am sure there is more to this, but it should get you started...

TJ
TJ, you hit it on the head. When we landed on the beaches everyone was extremely nervous the French would begin fighting. The hope was by painting huge national emblems on every vehicle and having the troops wear prominent US flags this could be averted. As I recall there was only one instance of resistance which thankfully ended quickly.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

bboc
Corporal
Corporal

French fightin

Post by bboc » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:50 pm

There was a considerable amount of resistance from the French, not just one instance.

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:57 pm

There was also a lot of anger aimed at the British forces for the sinking of some French navel ships The British did it to keep them out of the Germans hands but there was a large loss of French lives. It was thought the French may be less inclined to shoot at Americans then they would at the British forces.

GooglyDoogly
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by GooglyDoogly » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:54 pm

I don't think it has anything to do historically.

Because their M1A1 Abrams, Bradleys, and a host of other US modern vehicles have the US flag painted on the side too.