How many FOV Pershings...

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

How many FOV Pershings...

Post by krieglok » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:15 am

I was wondering if anybody has a solid figure on how many M26 Pershings made it to the ETO before the end of the war. I have a couple books and one says 200 were used while another book says 310 made it over there. Both books (as well as the data card included in the FOV model) agree that the weight of the tank was 41 tons, thus making the tonnage on the bridge plate on the FOV Pershing incorrect. The FOV model has 34 tons listed instead of 41 tons...

TJ

binder001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

your figures are correct...

Post by binder001 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:45 pm

the two best refrences that I have state that about 310 T26E3 made it to the ETO before the end of the war, and about 200 of those were actually in the hands of the troops. Most of these vehicles were too late to see combat. The first 20 were the most notable, these were from the first 40 off the production line. Half went to Ft. Knox for advanced testing and the other half were rushed to Europe for troop testing in combat - a dangerous and risky proposition.

The first batch (from the "Zebra Mission") sent ten T26E3 to the 9th Armored Div and ten to the 3rd Armored Div, both in the First Army. The next batch went to the 2nd Armored Div (Ninth Army) then the 11th Armored Div (3rd Army). The information that I have indicates that all the Pershings to see action were in the armored divisions. The separate tank battalions didn't get Pershings before the end of the war.

The best books are: "Pershing, A history of the T20 series tank" by RP Hunnicutt, the Osprey Vanguard book on the M26/M46 by Steve Zaloga and "Faint Praise" by Baily.