1/32 F-4 IN STOCK!!

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by dragon53 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:29 am

TMANTHEGREAT:

Thanks for more great photos.
Two questions:

1. Are you going to do anything about the crooked pitot tubes? I noticed Badcat's F-4J photo had crooked pitots, too.

2. Do you own BBI's 1/18 F-16 Wolfpack? If so, how does the F-4J compare to the F-16?
Last edited by dragon53 on Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:35 am

Great pics Tman/Sabrefan!!! I am still on the fence whether I can justify a jet to add to my prop collection..
Last edited by hworth18 on Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:15 pm

The pitot tube are an easy fix. They are flexible, and you can bend them into shape. I should have done that before I took the pictures.
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

F4Q2

Post by krieglok » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:26 pm

I recieved my F4 today. It is a nice model with nice detail and paintwork. I guess I have to go to the side of those who were disappointed by the landing gear situation. I was on the fence with this plane because I wanted functioning landing gear. The place I bought it from said the gear was "poseable". It seems to me it is "optional position" rather than "poseable". 12" GI Joes are poseable. You didnt have to yank out their arms and legs to have them change position. I have done work on 1:32 models when I built them and added working landing gear (1:32 AMT Dauntless for example) since I like the toyish feature. I dont buy into the the problamatics behind a working landing gear when they have added other working feature such as the folding wings and working canopies. They just decided to stop with the engineering of the molds at that point. Too bad.

I always liked Phantoms and since my focused scale is 1:32, I will keep it. I just wish the sellers of the plane would be more clear on the true functionality of the gear in the future. It is my fault for not asking before I ordered it. I wont make that mistake again. It does make a difference to some of us...

Nice model overall, I must say.

TJ

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:58 pm

THE BEST FEATURE OF THE BBI F-4J IS THE LANDING GEAR! NICE AND STRAIGHT, WITH ACCURATE WHEELS AND TIRES! :D
Paul Hebert

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:28 pm

We just need a Russian counterpart in North Vietnamese colors to interact with it now...

That or a 1:32 scale model of CVA-42 to sit her on..

TJ

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:20 pm

krieglok wrote:We just need a Russian counterpart in North Vietnamese colors to interact with it now...

That or a 1:32 scale model of CVA-42 to sit her on..

TJ
Trumpeter makes 1:32 scale model kits of both the Mig-21 and Mig-17. At least on ebay, the Mig-21 kit seems to retail for around $50 on average, with the Mig-17 going for as little as $20. With the winter break fast coming up, I may just get one to pass the time :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Black Lion VF-213
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Black Lion VF-213 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:12 am

My wife got me the F-4 for Christmas. Man I love it!! It's detail is the best among XD or 32x I've seen. It's paint scheme is the second most awesome paint scheme (next to VF-161 Chargers) for a F-4. The Hellcat is still a second in terms of detail.

I know some here would have preferred retractable landing gears. I'm in the minority. After looking this thing over along with my 1/72 F-14's from Dragon, CW, and FOV, I am glad this has removable landing gears.

From an engineering point of view getting the fat and correct sized tires to fit into that small amount of space without compromising the strength of the plastic (making it thinner) would not have been feasible at all. More so for the main gears. They might have made it work with the front.

We as collectors mostly purchase these planes and vehicles as display pieces and I think that's more of what the producers have begun to notice. With that said I've come to think that retractable gears are overrated and will eventually be out the door someday. Sorry to upset anyone about this. We clamor for better detail on both 1:18 and 1:32 but for the manufacturer to make it our way and still try to get into big box stores to market it as a toy for the masses, the price would have to go up and then that would defeat their purposes. If XD planes really are dead at Walmart, and if that lesser quality military toy line at TRU ( I can't remember the name since I never want any of it) eventually pushes out BBI, and If FOV also pushes out BBI from Target, where will they go? Of course online retailers. And their sales are almost exclusively to people who collect these for the display versus play.

I congratulate BBI for making this F-4 the right way. Detail is more important to me and to most everyone here. With BBI's set up, I still have the option to display it in flight or on the ground all the while permitting the Phantom to appear as almost as well done as a Hasegawa or Tamiya kit. I mean who's going to display a plane with the landing gears halfway between ground and in flight?

Hats off the BBI!! I love the Phantom. I hope BBI makes all the century series jets and the teen series jets in 32 scale!!

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:46 pm

I am a big fan of the BBI F-4J. It is one great looking model as you well pointed out. :D
Paul Hebert

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:37 am

I finally got mine out of the box and up on the classroom ceiling today. I have had a number of kids ohhh and ahhh over it---including me.
Aaron

My pathetic fantasy football team:

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/1804/polocksia2.jpg[/img][/url]

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:36 am

QUIXOTE511:

How about a detailed review of your new F-4J and how it ranks compared to your other planes?

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:45 pm

Well, I am impressed. The plug and play landing gear look great. I have mine in the up position since I display the plane in flight. I think the gear looks better like this because you do not have the blasted tabs for opening like with 21st's 32x. The full floating stab is a nice touch as is the other moving control surfaces. Paint is great, even down to the yellow and black warning checkers on the ejection handles. I think 21st or AT would be wise to reverse engineer this bad boy if they ever do decide to come out with an XD version.
Aaron

[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img458.imageshack.us/img458/1804/polocksia2.jpg[/img][/url]

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:51 pm

QUIXOTE511:

Thanks. BBI's F-4J appears to be getting near-unanimous praise. I sure hope BBI cashes in on this and releases F-4D and F-4E versions....soon.

Also, where did you buy your F-4J from?

Quixote511
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by Quixote511 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:00 pm

Military Toy Shop, they are a great etailer who happens to be in my neck of the woods. Great guys.
Aaron

Jericoeagle1
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by Jericoeagle1 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:15 pm

dragon53 wrote:QUIXOTE511:

Thanks. BBI's F-4J appears to be getting near-unanimous praise. I sure hope BBI cashes in on this and releases F-4D and F-4E versions....soon.
I was studying the model I bought and it does look like BBI could easily convert it to an Air Force Model the air refueling panel on the AF Phantoms has a spot all ready made for it.
A little song, A little dance, A little seltzer down your pants!~~~Chuckles the Clown.

Fox Tare-28
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Fox Tare-28 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:12 pm

One of the best X-Mas presents I got this year. 10/10.

AlloySkull

Post by AlloySkull » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:00 am

THE best X-mas present I got this year, certainly better than clothes, a wallet, and a shower CD player... (Which I actually use, it makes me shower faster)
[img]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j317/alloyskull101/siggygpxd-1.gif[/img]
Good Traders:
KAMIKAZE
Ruger
Olifant
Panzer M