1/32 F-4 IN STOCK!!

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:34 am

while interchangeable landing gear can make a model plane less appealing as a toy to play with, i think most people that buy these items are collectors who prefer realism to playability and i am all for interchangeable landing gear.

When XD first came out 7 years ago that is the way i expected it to go and was surprised when it didn't happen. Maybe it will in future to add realism and cut design costs.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Birddog
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Birddog » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:42 am

I'm all for "plug and display" landing gear. As Jason asked, how many of us really display our models with the gear in a stage of retraction?

Could be a great cost saved. Maybe that could lead to some of the bigger aircraft everyone wants both in 1/18 and 1/32 scale being feasible.
Go Ugly Early in 1/18!!

Still waiting and wishing for a 1/18 A-10 Warthog.

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:58 am

Hey Jason, with all this landing gear talk, how about an Admiral toys F4F Wildcat? :D
Paul Hebert

It's been a long road, but I am still in the game. :)

olifant

Post by olifant » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:53 am

I received my F-4 yesterday. I agree that the fixed landing gear is not really an issue with me. In fact I really like it.

In hindsight I think $50 is a bit steep for BBIs offering compared to what 21C is offering in 1/32. I think 21C is also doing a better job with painting than what the F-4 has.

My F-4 has a few glue drips and paint flaws, not enough for me to send it back to BCA but enough for me to think for the price they should do better. What was bothersome is the fact that one of the sparrow hardpoints was broken. I will just glue this in place. I think BBI may have stretched a bit trying to get the wings to fold on this model. This entire mechanism feels tinny and doomed to failure if used too often. One wing does not really want to lay as down far as the other which gives the appearance of being lopsided.

Positive points are an extremely detailed cockpit, nicely done weathering, the nice, fat tires and the adjustable flight surfaces. We definitely need more follow up with Warsaw pact/aggressor birds to give the F-4 something to tangle with.

I am excited at the possiblity of BBI doing more large 1/32 models, especially if they start doing multi-enging WWII planes. If 21C does single engine only this would cover the marketplace.

I will purchase the Dauntless when it comes out but my hope is the price point is lower. $50 would be a stretch when I could buy a 1/18 AC for just a few bucks more.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=375&i=sshqvdjx0.jpg][img]http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/5374/sshqvdjx0.937d18e174.jpg[/img][/url]

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:21 pm

Birddog wrote:I'm all for "plug and display" landing gear. As Jason asked, how many of us really display our models with the gear in a stage of retraction?

Could be a great cost saved. Maybe that could lead to some of the bigger aircraft everyone wants both in 1/18 and 1/32 scale being feasible.
Absolutely agree. Dont let the gear be a show stopper. Make them removable and keep the new models coming! :wink:

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:51 pm

I got my F-4J today, and what a beauty. The cockpit detail is nice, and I really like the way BBI did the landing gear. It looks so awesome on my shelf, I sure hope we see some nice repaints with this model. Great job BBI. :D
Paul Hebert

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:41 pm

Hey Tman,

Ever since I took my first step into 1/32 aircraft collecting last year, I've found your reviews both helpful and honest. I remember when you stated that the 1/32 P-51B mold did not feel as fragile as the 1/32 Corsair and other recent 21st releases. I knew exactly what you meant recently, since I picked up the Corsair duel pack with Zero, and have had 2 B model Mustangs for a few months.

With that said, is the BBI Phantom sturdier than 21st's 1/32 P-51B? Is the durability the same amount we've come to expect from BBI? The reason I ask, is because I want the Phantom, and 2nd, because I have a P-51B and am familiar with its durability. I like it a lot, and if the BBI Phantom is just as, or even more durable than the P-51B, then I am one happy camper.

The lack of retractable gear is dissapointing to me, but it was done for good reason, so I do understand. At least it was done of the sake of accuracy. To all of you who have the Phantom, is this one of the more durable 1/32 plastic releases, or one of the more fragile ones?

I think the Phantom has shown how far BBI has grown. Just by pictures alone you can tell how much they improved since the year they made the Hornet. Their Phantom in a smaller scale has more detail and accuracy!

I have a feeling the swapping gear method will be used on planes with hard to replicate functional landing gear. The Tomcat comes to mind. Not the nose gear, but the gears on the sides. For what its worth, I am glad BBI has 1 piece landing gear parts instead of a whole array of landing gear parts that might be lost easily.
If they use swappable gear again, I hope its with 1 piece landing gears, like the Phantom.

I have a feeling 21st's Phantom and Fishbed will be in 1/32 first and released to one of the bigger chains as well as having retractable landing gear, giving a cheaper alternative to customers than going online, and having retractable gear to maintain consistency with the 32x line albeit losing some accuracy in the process.

Either way, if 21st has a 1/32 Phantom out with said differences, it adds variety, and hey, its one more Phantom to buy! We've been starved of Phantoms for too long! :D

As more reviews pop up I may decide to pick this up sooner than planned. Please don't let this be the last 1/32 aircraft you make BBi.
Shin's wishlist for 1/18 and 1/32 with retractable landing gear and more:

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:53 am

To answer the question on the sturdiness, I will say yes, it is pretty solid, especially the fuselage section and wings. The wingtips, which fold in a manner similar to the BBI F-18, are the weakest area of the model in my opinion. The Phantom is deceptively lightweight, but still solidly constructed. The swappable landing gear function actually makes them sturdier and you don't really have to worry about weak hinges, breakable struts, or collapsing gear. The tires roll as well. Hope that helps :)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

CW4USARMY

Post by CW4USARMY » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:44 pm

CW4USARMY wrote:
vulgarvulture wrote:A few more more pics:

http://www.pamsdream.com/servlet/StoreFront
Thanks for the link vulgarvulture. Their shipping was so reasonable I went ahead and ordered an F-4 from them as well as the Pegasus V-1. See what you did? :wink:

I received the f-4 less than 48 hours from the time I ordered and their shipping was extremely reasonable. Highly recommend this company to everyone. Thanks again Vulgar Vulture! :D

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:54 am

I contacted BBI to see if the F-4J would be sold by ToysRUs and Target. The reply was probably not, maybe next year.

I for got to ask if the F-4J would be sold online-only by Target.com---like BBI's 1/18 F-16.

It appears etailers will be the only source for the F-4J---which is a problem if you like to inspect the plane in the store for defects and returning them because of defects.

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:21 am

dragon53 wrote:I contacted BBI to see if the F-4J would be sold by ToysRUs and Target. The reply was probably not, maybe next year.

I for got to ask if the F-4J would be sold online-only by Target.com---like BBI's 1/18 F-16.

It appears etailers will be the only source for the F-4J---which is a problem if you like to inspect the plane in the store for defects and returning them because of defects.
Agreed man, but thats the luck of the draw with newer military product. For what its worth it is risky not going the mass market route, but mass market has been indecisive at some points(TRU planning on ordering the F-16 and Zero and have yet to
do anything). I think BBI decided to give the 1/32 stuff to etailers since they tend to be more supportive, and were willing to pay for the newer product, where as mass market tends to take the wait and see approach. I prefer buying my product in person as well, not only to inspect it for myself, but the thrill of the hunt. Nonetheless, I do see why BBI went this route, and I do think its better that way. Who knows how long we would have had to wait to see the F-4 on mass market shelves if they held it back for mass market?

F-14 Tomcat, F-8 Crusader, A-4 Skyhawk, F-105 Thunderchief, A-6 Intruder, F-15C, F-15E Strike Eagle

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:21 am

Entirely agreed. Items going the mass market route are subject to distribution patterns. Some areas get items weeks to months before others, if at all, and more people wind up being loosers. Having items avaliable through small retailers (or even online at the brick-and-mortar stores) makes it easier for everyone to get what they want, with relatively no hastle. Besides, you can always try asking the retailer - in a nice and NOT DEMANDING manner - if they could inspect the product for you. I've done that before with BadCat, Foxholetoys, and others with results 8)

Besides, with a few exceptions, BBI usually has FAR better quality control over their products and you will most likely wind up with a good example. At least that's been my experience. 21c products are far more hit-and-miss... :wink:

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:24 pm

Recv'd my Phantom yesterday, great looking plane with no errors found!! :D
Positive B/S/T refs: hworth18, coreyeagle48, raiderad6, pickelhaube, JOC, american_grenadier, xddave, tmanthegreat

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:54 pm

Those of you with a camera and just recieved the Phantom, can you post pics of it here? That would be AWESOME so all of us can see more of the thing. I know tman posted pics, but I'm so excited that it came out. I've seen tman and starman's pics.

I'm itching for a Sundowners Phantom as well as VF-51. Lets get some MIG KILLERS in the line!

Ya know, technically I think BBI can still make Cunningham and Driscoll's "Showtime 100". That was the CAG bird and didn't have their names on it when they became aces on that may flight....

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:56 pm

VMF214:

Who did you buy your F-4J from?
Last edited by dragon53 on Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:59 pm

SHIN DENSETSU:

I agree. I was hoping for an F-4J with some combat history---specifically Cunningham's (although his prison sentence may have been a stigma). From what I gather, VF-84 flew F-4Bs in Vietnam and transitioned to F-4Js after they became part of the 6th Fleet.
Last edited by dragon53 on Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sabrefan

Post by Sabrefan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:00 pm

The F-4J is a beautiful model. Mine also has a flawless paint job, and it really captures the look of the Phantom. This is one model I hope has lots of repaints.
Paul Hebert

Shin Densetsu
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Shin Densetsu » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:19 pm

dragon53 wrote:SHIN DENSETSU:

I agree. I was hoping for an F-4J with a some combat history---specifically Cunningham's (although his prison sentence may have been a stigma). From what I gather, VF-84 flew F-4Bs in Vietnam and transitioned to F-4Js after they became part of the 6th Fleet.
Showtime 100 didn't have Cunningham nor Driscoll's name on it, so BBi could just advertise it as "VF-96 CAG F-4J 1972".

Showtime 100 is a must. As well as Col. Old's Phantom Scat XXVII. We also need Steve Ritchie's F-4. All the aces can be made in one wave. I'd love to see some 50th anniversary JASDF Phantoms. THOSE are damn beautiful.

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:43 pm

dragon53 wrote:VMF214:

Who did you buy your F-4J from?
Bad Cat
Positive B/S/T refs: hworth18, coreyeagle48, raiderad6, pickelhaube, JOC, american_grenadier, xddave, tmanthegreat

Coreyeagle48

F-4

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:52 pm

Greetings:

My F-4 Phantom courtesy of the wonderful folks at BadCat toys made to me today, just in time for my 26th birthday tomorrow. :)

BBI did a terrific job with this airplane. The detail and paint job is superb and I like the opening scheme a lot. The landing gear despite not being retractable is well done and very sturdy, which is a nice change from some of the other planes I have in 1/32 scale. The cockpit is well done and all my surfaces and moveable parts worth without any problems. It is very lightweight and easy to handle and I like the way BBI did the missiles. I will also say this plane was well packaged, the twisty ties were secured in a way that did not damage the aircraft and held the plane in place securely. This airplane is a fantastic start for BBI in this scale. It is well made, detailed and looks impressive. It certainly looks like the F-4 Phantom which has served air units of NATO nations for over 30 years.

Here are some photos of the F-4 with my 1/32 B-25. This shows the size of a modern day fighter compared to a World War II twin engine bomber. Thought it was a neat comparison. Enjoy!!

Corey

Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

wreckchaser
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by wreckchaser » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:26 am

Some Marine Phantoms would be a great addition also :D Like the Navy birds of the sixties and seventies ,they had some nice markings too :wink:
In Memory Of
Capt. Doug Martin and Capt. Sam James USAF
4-18-73 Cambodia, F-4E 67-0281

Lt. Robbie Helton USMC VMA-223
10-29-85 Spartanburg S.C.
A-4M (Buno) 160242

B24guy
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by B24guy » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:56 pm

When I got home from work, my BBI F-4J was sitting on the driveway waiting for me. This model is fantastic. It looks great from any angle. If you are even thinking of getting the BBI Phantom, get one. You will love it!
Darren

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:43 pm

Saberfan wanted me to post these pictures of his F-4. Enjoy!

B24guy
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by B24guy » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:44 pm

Nice pictures Sabrefan. I see you really like the F-4J model. She is a beauty!
Darren