1:72 Collecting Question

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: 1:72 Collecting Question

Post by gouchy » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:12 am

Dauntless, the Ki-84 do appear on ebay once in a while, will give you a heads up if I see it

Cgj476, seems the Storch in both variants is still plentiful so you might want to wait around for clearance sale and get both? Or you can get one now and wait for the 2nd to go on sale. I always find myself in the same situation so I totally understand and don't envy you, always have to make tough choices!
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Good Trader: Tankace

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:40 am

Yeah I will wait until another sale to get them, Im more determined to spend my money on much larger and hard to find birds right now. Hopefully flying mule has another sale soon so I can pick up a bunch of fighters also.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Dauntless-----------------------[Cat]CplSlade
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Dauntless
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Dauntless » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:43 am

Found me a IXO KI-84 Frank, and an Hobby Master Aichi Val Celon Soryu from over seas sellers. They're on the way.

reference photos:

http://www.flyingmule.com/products/IX-AY046
http://www.flyingmule.com/products/SM-SM5001
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:00 pm

Got me a Witty Wings P-38J "Miss V" dragontail.
reference: http://www.flyingmule.com/products/WT-WTW72020-01

It looks just like the 1:18 21st Century Toys "Haleakala II" P-38. Must be from the same squadron or something, but of course this is a lot smaller. :)

On another note, the Dragon "White 23" F4F Wildcat Yorktown, I ordered from The Toy Federation, has not come in. Tried corresponding with them, no reply, no airplane, no shipping verification, no nothing. Been over two weeks, so I had to file a Paypal claim to get some kind of satisfaction or explanation.

It's really too bad when I passed bidding on a couple of them thinking mine is on the way. I won't be dealing with them again unless they can come up with a good explanation. Anybody ever deal with them? :?

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:46 pm

Thats cool dauntless I like that P-38. I just am against buying the landing gear down mode. I picked up that John S Mccain Catalina on ebay for $61 dollars. I think you should pick one up, they are amazing. I also had one a ju-52 greece version which is amazing. Today I just ordered a corgi galland 109 and a gemini aces hahn 109. Im excited to get them.

Sorry about that website, Im very selective on what I buy online. You can never be to careful.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

snake

Post by snake » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:27 pm

Nice pick up, Dauntless.

And a sharp looking P-38. I have a couple of the Corgi P-38's, California Cutie, and Richard Bong's "Marge".

Never heard of Toy Federation, and sorry to hear about your dealings with them. Totally unacceptable service, and hope you get it sorted out. When they don't even respond to emails, that is a big red flag. Have you tried phoning them directly? Here is their contact info.

Not a toll free number, so not sure if you want to spend the money on a long distance call.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:11 am

Ah, you were the one who got that Catalina cjg. 8) . I was watching that very same one, but was bidding on other things so didn't bid on it. Good thing huh? :lol: I thought, damn that went for a good price. I will get one eventually, because it's Pacific and 1942. Easily looks like a Midway version, except for the Admiral's name on the side. Congrats on the score.
Does this mean you're headed for the PTO? :wink:
I've got my eyes on a few ETO's now. Let us know which company makes a better 109, Corgi or Gemini Aces.

I knew about the gear down on the Witty Wings P-38, but loved the scheme. I missed the 21stC "Haleakala II" so this kinda makes up for it in miniature.
That Corgi P-38 looks really nice Snake, I will have to have that "Marge" and maybe the "California Cutie" Interchangeable gear right?

I suppose I should have tried to call the Toy Federation first, but I work out of town, can't use the work phone and don't have a cell phone. I did join up at the site with a name and password, and I asked them with an order number and description of my order, but no reply, so i figured that should be enough, but I will call them this coming week then (I'll be getting a cell phone today) I just want my Midway Thatch Wildcat dang it.

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:12 am

Dauntless, Sorry to hear about your trouble with Toy Federation, I feel kinda bad as I tipped you off to them

Hope things will end well and you get your money back or they come good with your Wildcat.

Is the Catalina by seller called choate? He has an endless supply of certain corgi models and I've seen many buyers getting good deals.
"Be Water, My Friend..."

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:59 am

Yep thats the seller. Great prices I think.

Dauntless I think Im going to try to get that a-26 banshee. I talked to Snake about century wings, I really like the intruders. I also want to get a phantom. Im all ready crossing the lines...I first was concentrating on just ETO and now PTO and now the jet era. This feels like I have an addiction. I was even thinking about selling some of my 1:18 just to supplement my habit. :shock:
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:39 pm

Not your fault they're flaky Gouchy. Besides, you've steered me to some other great deals. Maybe just a mixup anyways.

Oh oh Cjg, those jets do look nice. I recently unloaded a bunch of Star Wars stuff I'm only halfway through, so that kinda helps with the expense of this renewed hobby of mine. Compared to these excellent planes I don't miss those "toys" at all. I'm keeping my complete collection of Star Wars Titaniums though. They're small, easy to display, and hey, they're diecast. Along with my Action Fleets, that's all I need from SW now.

I may unload my 1:18 21stC later too, but first the kids toys gotta go. :)

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:35 pm

Dauntless did yous ee they came out with new titanium series vehicles this year...watch your money...lol

I also have a huge Star Wars collection. It takes up one room of my house and then some. I would give it up but I collect it with my little brothers and my father in law. They would die if I sold my collectioncItion. If it wasnt for that I would prolly sell it.

I agree with you...Star Wars has nothing on diecast. I love collecting it. Snake told me it was a slippery slope collecting 1/72. Sad to say im sliding at full speed straight down the mountain. Its hard to not collect. I need a daily fix of 1/72.
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:40 pm

Luckily those are all re-issues of previous Titaniums and nothing new. I saw them at Walmart today. A little pricey at $29 for three. I wish we could get some new SW ships. I would still buy them. Those and all the various Star Trek ships fill my shelves, but they're miniature so not so much space taken up. My philosophy with the planes now. Unlike all my 1:18 I can't enjoy unless I buy a gymnasium or something.

Heck I might even start buying the 1:144 bombers because there's a lot of diversity out there to get. Though I can't believe they want $65 for the Hobby Master B-24, :shock: it is sweet looking.

It's different when the family likes all those Star Wars toys. My family thought I was a little nuts with my collecting. Then they realize I paid my mortgage a couple of times with all that rare stuff I sold, their contrary views are a little tempered with the practicality of saving my ass. :lol:

I got a good job just last week, so that and if I sell some more unwanted toys I can afford to buy more diecast planes. Little airplanes were my first passion and now it's come back full circle again. But now I don't have to paint them. :D

gouchy
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by gouchy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:32 am

That is exactly what I have gone thru and I've been selling off other stuff to feed my diecast addiction.

When I first started collecting diecast, my plan was to be very focused and get one of each of the most iconic (Spitfire, Mustang, Stuka, etc) planes around in 1/72. That soon became impossible and then limited myself to 2 of each of whichever plane I fancy. That promptly failed too and soon I find myself scattered all over - from various scales from 1/144 to 1/48, from WW2 to Modern, multiples (x11 F-4s, x11 F-18s etc). I can see that its happening to you too Cgj and its a losing battle to limit yourself to specific themes. The Dark Side of the Force is too strong to resist :lol:

With the current mold quality standards, wide ranging subjects and relentless new releases by so many manufacturers, now is really the best time to be a diecast collector. On the flip side, if you're not rich and have a huge man-cave, you would have to wheel & deal to make your toy account books balanced. I've have to sell other toys to fund my diecast purchases and conduct honest brutal triage (Yes to a few, Maybe/No to a lot) whenever new planes are up for pre-order. I know my books are in a bright bold red color and my missus ain't too pleased bout it but what can I do, is there a rehab for diecast addiction? :lol:
"Be Water, My Friend..."

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:25 pm

Better now a collector than in the future. I've noticed a few planes going up in price lately. The popular in stock planes in some cases have risen $4 or more. While the ones that have become hard to get or are down to the last few have went up considerably. The guys buying jets and 1:48 are paying some hefty prices.

I bought my Midway Devastator for $59 (free shipping helps) now they are up to $89. :shock:
Still better deals if you can find them are out there, just goota look hard. Some planes are just gone, unless they pop up on ebay, or overseas sellers, you're outa luck. :?

On a good note my Dragon Models Midway F4F is on it's way. There was a mix-up on the other end and they didn't see it as paid for (uh-uh :roll: ) anyways just takes a little tree shaking by Paypal to see what comes out. I'm just happy I'm finally receiving my "Thatch" Wildcat, so acquiring the Midway US carrier planes is done, "whew"

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:55 pm

You guys may have to put me in rehab...I bought the a6 intruder nighthawks, the jolly rogers f-4, gemini aces eduard nuemann bf 109, dragon me 109 battle of britain, and gemini aces bf-109 herman graf and gemini aces hans hahn 109. And thats just in the last two days. I cant stop collecting. I NEED HELP!!! :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:56 pm

And I sold my whole 1/18 collection :shock:
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

snake

Post by snake » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:56 pm

So easy to start going in different directions with 1/72. There is so much out there, and the selection keeps getting better all the time.

Dauntless, once you get your PTO complete, will be interesting to see where you go next. You could go for the 1/48 Marushin, but these are expensive. Although they are real specialty models. And continue on your PTO theme. Carousel also do some good PTO models in 1/48, including F-4F Wildcats, P-36's and P-40's, but again in 1/48. But these are nice models, and unfortunately Carousel went bust a couple of years ago. I am interested in where you may go next.

Cjg476, looks like you are indeed in trouble. :lol: Didn't take long to get a couple of USN carrier jets. One from HM, and one from CW. You will be quite impressed with both of them, which will just leave you wanting more. :wink: Glad to see that you are trying both Dragon, and Gemini Aces for your Me 109's, and not just sticking with Corgi. It is always good to try different manufacturers and see what they offer.

Now that you have got a couple of nice jets, no telling what your next purchase will be.

Nothing wrong with specializing in one theme, or getting a broad mix of aircraft you like. The secret is to try to get models which please you, and not worry about what other collectors have to say. Positive, or negative. Although these forums certainly make you take a look at aircraft models that you normally wouldn't consider, if left to your own "will power".

My particular collection is a broad mix of 1/18 down to 1/144. Anything from pre war, to the B-2 bomber. Biplanes to Stealth bomber. No hard and fast rules other than I have to like it.

And for those of you who think you are getting out of hand, get back to me when you have 30+ 1/72 F-14 Tomcats. :wink: :lol: :shock:

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:44 pm

Snake... :shock: I cannot imagine the space or money you have to buy all those :shock: ...One day you will have to send us pics of your collection.

And thats all Ive bought so far snake is the ones I like. I didnt really consider brands with my 109's but the looks and schemes and they are nice looking to me. I think next I will go into me262's and fw 190's....and I want some more support vehicles, just dont know what my options are there..
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:23 am

I've been thinking about at least getting a couple of Corgi bombers. The Avro Lancaster is still up for pre-order, so i may get one of those before June, the expected release date. I don't expect they will last long.

All the other Lancasters are sold out or are outrageous prices on the secondary mkt., so they must be well done, or is it the fact that Corgi is the only 4 engine game in town? I see you can get the daylight raid version a few places still, but no front turret, not an iconic night raid Avro. I had read the pre-order one is a new tooling. You have a Lancaster don't you Snake, what do you think of them?

Maybe pick up a couple of other bombers when the opportunity arises, but slim pickens there.

This means heading over to the ETO of course after a few more PTO planes.

I'm not going to rule out a few jets in the future, but more apt to get something from the Korean or Vietnam war like a Panther, Intruder, Phantom, and various Migs. A Skyraider, B-26 Invader and some helicopters would be nice...I can see this can get out of hand real quick. :lol:

If you sold all your 1:18 Cjg, it just means you have the $ to go on with the diecast thing. :)

snake

Post by snake » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:36 pm

I do indeed have some Lancasters, Dauntless.

Five of them, with a Dambuster, Grand Slam, and three of the "regular" Bomber Command versions. Have the Tallboy on pre order which I got for a very reasonable $119 from the Mule. Within a week the price was up to $149, at least at the Mule.

Given the price of these on the secondary market, I would strongly recommend you get the Tallboy on pre order, if you are seriously considering getting a Corgi Lanc. Almost all the Corgi heavies are good "investments" as their prices keep going up. Personally, I would stay away from the "Daylight" version, at least as your first purchase, as it is not the iconic scheme you think of when you think Lancaster.

The Corgi heavies are very well done, with the only real issue with any of them is with the later B-24 Liberators with the front turret. On these there is a bad nose join, which is especially noticeable on the NMF ones.

Corgi have just released the Short Stirling, which is doing extremely well. This rounds out the Bomber Command heavies { Lancaster, Halifax, Stirling}, and was eagerly anticipated. Only 300 made it to North America, so a number of collectors were left out unfortunately. Dealers didn't get their allotment, and weren't able to fulfill all their pre orders. Seems to about the same for the second release, although many collectors, myself included, are probably happy with just one Stirling.

Like any Corgi heavy, best to pre order it, and get it right away, as the price just keeps going up once they are gone. :wink:

I know of one collector that has ALL the Corgi 1/72 Lancs, other than the "Easter Egg" version, which was only a 300 unit release, and very rare.

The only issue I have with the Lancaster is that for the regular Bomber Command versions, they all look very similar, with only different lettering codes for the most part. Certainly not the case with the B-17's, and B-24's. :wink:

I am no expert, but more than happy to answer any questions you guys might have about the Corgi heavies.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:49 am

Thanks Snake, yeah they do all kinda look the same give or take a few. So if I get one that's all I need.

You don't know there's not much out there till you start looking for it, and find them scarce. Same with most of the heavies in the popular schemes, and at least the B-25, another one I want but hard to find. :?

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:41 am

Yeah good luck on the B 25 def. hard to find. I would lobe a Doolittle version myself, but doubt that will ever happen. Some offerings have come and gone. :(

I also wish I could find Gemini Aces BF 109F MARSEILLE JG27 GALFTJG27A but it was some 505 poduced. I love the scheme. But will never see it. :(
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:38 pm

Yeah the B-25 is sold out everywhere except for a few of the 1942 desert version. I'd settle for any OD green one. I like the later models because they have more features, though the Doolitle would be nice.

You would think Corgi would at least release some more in different schemes. Demand is high, supply is down, what's up?

I saw that 109 for sale at an English site, can't you get it there Cjg?

cjg476
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by cjg476 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:46 pm

Yeah its at flying tigers.com I think. Is that in pounds or euros? or does it matter? I know that sounds dumb, but Ive never bought anything from overseas before. :?

http://www.flying-tigers.co.uk/acatalog ... ction.html
Corey
Good Trader Report:
Jlspec
Pickelhaube
Axis nightmare
Flyboy_fx

snake

Post by snake » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:25 pm

That is in Pounds.

And as you are not a resident of Britain, you can take the 20% VAT of that price.

A bit over $40, plus shipping. A rare release, and a Flying Tigers exclusive. I say, pull the trigger, cjg476. :wink: