wow, there are a LOT of 1/72 pre-built aircraft available

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Re: wow, there are a LOT of 1/72 pre-built aircraft availabl

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:20 pm

This is where I got it, $15.99 + $7.99
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 6746124190
Plus this seller has a nice aviation archive P-40 on here
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 3190453358
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:36 pm

A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

Dauntless
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Dauntless » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:02 am

Yeah I'd been watching that P-40 for about six months when they had about eight of them.
Now it's down to one. :wink:
The title is a little misleading, as it's an Aviation Archive but a Legends version with the fixed gear down, a good deal nonetheless.

One thing that's unusual about that particular P-40, is that it's the only P-40F that is made and for some reason a little less gappy than the other Corgi P-40E's.
No scoop on top of the cowling, the P-40F had a Packard Merlin engine as opposed to the Allison of the E model.
It's Operation Torch in North Africa 1942, that initially took off from an aircraft carrier.

Just bought a Dragon F4F Wildcat with Operation Torch Markings a couple of weeks ago and this one was next to go with it.
http://www.dragon-models.com/d-m-item.asp?pid=WAR50206
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:33 am

You know, altaya makes that same model, but I've had to pass on it, not a big fan of that marking, but I would prefer a dragon model F4F over altaya, but I'm not sure if they make one in early USAAF scheme with the candy cane tail?

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:53 am

In addition to Corgi's impressive list of biggies and HM's A-26 and the impending A-20, FOV has several 1:72nd scale B-25s and B-26s out there with a new B-26 on the way.

I think that it is important to note that two different business models are at play and this often confuses people who keep wondering how an Altaya can be so "daring" as to make a Draken while Corgi and HM hesitate to go this route.

The difference is simple. Acting in league with a factory, the publisher, Altaya, commits to 40-60 planes at one time. To get this large a number, while making sure that all of the countries, including, Sweden, Italy, France, Japan, Russia, etc. are covered, you simply have to go very deep in your selections. Then you offer a subscription package and if you sell enough full subscriptions---for all 40-60 models----you go ahead and the factory cranks them out in massive doses ( 10,000 units per plane, for example ). Under this scheme, the viability of the whole line, not any of its individual components is what turns a profit. Sure, subscribers are allowed to return any model they find fault with, however, the publisher knows from past experience that this occurs only 3-5% of the time, so once he goes into the profit mode, returns aren't a major problem. Later, after the publisher's sale runs its course, the factory, or supplier, often releases the same models, perhaps with different schemes, under its name, or licenses them to another publisher. Hence, we are now seeing lots of the IXO bombers showing up as part of the Amercom and DeAgostini subscription series.

Contrast the picture, described above, with Corgi pondering whether it dares to do a ME-410. Under its system, the goal is to make a profit specifically on the ME-410 tooling, so it's bean counters run the numbers and find that they need 10,000 units sold at a certain price point, to make such a venture profitable and additional sales to make it really worthwhile. Then they make a ball park estimate on how many units the various national wholesalers are likely to order; if this tallies up to only 8000, the project is shelved as a loser.

Of course, the trade-offs in such business plans are important to note. The publisher series invariably features much lower per-model prices to the buyer. This is a huge plus for many subscribers. On the negative side , the models often come with heavy use of plastic plus glaring errors in colors, markings, etc. and feature few frills---like pilots or decent stands. Often, the subscriber, who is less demanding or savvy, lets these faults pass. In contrast, the Corgi HM, Gemini, Witty, buyer is purchasing a particular model, not 40-60 at a single clip, and his expectations are higher----more metal, better stands, pilot figures, bombs, torpedoes , etc. Small wonder that the traditional business model, where every tooling is evaluated in terms of its unique sales potential, usually at much higher price points, is now deemed so risky that legendary mediums such as the Betty, SM-79, PE-2, etc. aren't getting done in the 1:72nd scale. Well, not by Corgi and probably HM, at least.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:10 am

i wonder if Altaya will come out with a line of 1/72 bombers; they could feature removable wings to make packaging more compact
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:26 pm

aferguson wrote:i wonder if Altaya will come out with a line of 1/72 bombers; they could feature removable wings to make packaging more compact
I think that all-plastic lines, except for landing gear, are a distinct possibility for a number of thematic options----like famous bi-planes, WW2 fighters, Sea Planes, etc. I'm not so sure about biggies like the B-29, B-36, B-24, Lancaster, etc. however.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:58 pm

That explains a lot Epap, thanks.

What Aferg mentioned. 21stC did pre-painted and partial assembly required 1:32 and 1:18 planes. The same with 1:144 planes by F-Toys and Cafereo etc. small models, pre-painted and minimal assembly.
Someone should do bombers in 1:72.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:28 pm

The_Helicopter_Pilot wrote:You know, altaya makes that same model, but I've had to pass on it, not a big fan of that marking, but I would prefer a dragon model F4F over altaya, but I'm not sure if they make one in early USAAF scheme with the candy cane tail?
Unfortunately not. They never got to an early 1941'-42' Wildcat. I was hoping for an O'Hare F4F, but Dragon stopped making them.
The only one I know of is the Easy Model.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:07 pm

Dauntless wrote:
The_Helicopter_Pilot wrote:You know, altaya makes that same model, but I've had to pass on it, not a big fan of that marking, but I would prefer a dragon model F4F over altaya, but I'm not sure if they make one in early USAAF scheme with the candy cane tail?
Unfortunately not. They never got to an early 1941'-42' Wildcat. I was hoping for an O'Hare F4F, but Dragon stopped making them.
The only one I know of is the Easy Model.
Yeah, I've seen that one at hobby lobby but never got it, I have an F6F, and an F4U from MRC as gap fillers, but never jumped on the F4F, figured someone would have one out in diecast soon, guess not.. :/

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:35 pm

I was watching a Corgi 1:72 B-17G "Nine O Nine" auction to see how far the price would go. :shock:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-17-Nine-O-Nin ... true&rt=nc

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:48 pm

Wow, almost $500! That's a lot for a 1/72 aircraft...

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:56 pm

Found this, listing ended, but you can still get them online from Legacy of Valor..
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 0759467209

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:26 pm

If one is willing to check out the "part work" lines, the number of 1:72nd scale pre-built replicas continues to grow. For example, Atlas, via Oxford, added a TA-152, DO. 335, ME-163, Arado 192, BF-108 and HE-162 while Amercom provided diecast copies of the Easy Model Mig-3, MS-406, late model Zero, Yak-9 and Dewoitine D.520. Meanwhile, the GE Fabbri Italian series has given us a RO-37, Fiat CR.32 and two versions of the Fiat CR.42 and DeAgostini provides an I-152 and I-153. Needless to say, some of these models need upgrades. The Atlas Arado is missing its wing canon fairings and has its rear machine guns set far too high; the TA-152 is missing its pitot head, the canon firing through the spinner and various antennae under the wing and fuselage; the GE Fabbri BOB rendition of the Falco is hideously painted, etc. Still, with a little work, such errors can be corrected and, often, the result is a model that is quite close to the Corgi/HM standard.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:42 am

There are some excellent 1:72 fighter planes.
Sorting through the various planes available, I've found the best examples imo.
Gemini Aces makes the best looking BF-109F, and the Spitfire IX.
Dragon has the finest detailed P-51D

Almost every make has their flaws as Epap pointed out. Though it's hard to find much wrong with the Gemini Aces 109 and the Spitfire, the Dragon P-51D has a lot of little delicate parts that sometimes fall off or are hard to put together. (the propeller shaft wasn't pushed in all the way, I fixed that) but in accuracy and detail it blows away all other makes in 1:72.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:07 am

The only real flaws with the Gemini BF-109F are the underside colors----too dark for my taste---and the usual problem---the mottling. I'm not a huge expert on the Spit but, as I recall, there were complaints on the DAF and elsewhere about the props on some models being positioned incorrectly---"backwards?" Also, on the first P-51B, the factory installed the antennas on many models upside down, which made them look like baseball bats. :shock: Sadly, the quest for perfection goes on.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:44 pm

Yeah, the mottling can be tough to get right even on a 1:18 plane. Even Hobby Master has a problem with German mottling on some of their 1:48 FW-190's or so I've read. I rather like the colors on the Gemini 109, and there are other schemes if you don't like one over the other. The Galland (shown) seems to be the hardest to get for a good price.

I've read comments also about the early Gemini P-51B/Cs There were a few flaws that slipped through. On the "Cripes a Mighty" the propellers were put on backwards, and like you said a few of the antennas were also put on backwards, which they caught in later releases. One thing still on the Gemini Mustang is the landing gear can be temperamental. I only have the "Macon Belle" which is in flight position so problem avoided. :?
Even with flaws, nothing is as good looking as the Gemini P-51 B/C in 1:72.

The Gemini Spitfire is very nice I think.
Dragon put out a not so good Spitfire V though (maybe the props on backwards there, they do look wonky) and Corgi, the gaps a plenty in the old Spit mold, though they improved upon it a little in newer releases. There simply is not a near perfect example of an early Mk Spit available in 1:72.
Gemini beats everyone hands down on the later Spitfire IX imo, but even then the rudder lines have been compromised to make a "play feature" of a movable rudder, though it's hardly noticeable.

It's hit and miss with some or all manufacturers, and all in what you can live with.
Can there possibly be a perfectly executed 1:72 plane, and what would it be if you had to choose? Thoughts?

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:16 pm

A few more good ones.
Corgi Warbirds (gear up only) P-38 Pudgy

Gemini Aces P-51B/C Macon Belle

Corgi Aviation Archive ME-109E Adolf Galland