Canopies...

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
rvlyssup
Private First Class
Private First Class

Canopies...

Post by rvlyssup » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:11 am

I have the following 1/32 planes; a "Snooks 5th" P51D Mustang, "Big Hog" F4U Corsair, Polish RAF P51C Mustang, and a Zero (green).

Out of the 4, only the Zero has an actual working canopy. What I mean is that it actually slides open, close, and not fall off.

Anyone else have this problem or is it gonna happen because of the scale?
Stang...Gun...Vag Nut.

MightyMustang
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by MightyMustang » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:22 pm

My Big Hog Corsairs canopy falls off all the time! Its sord of irratateing but I can live with it.

:?
"You dont know the power of the darkside, it is your destiny" Lord Vader.

Rowsdower
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by Rowsdower » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:07 pm

I just glue 'em shut if they give me trouble with falling off. But I really don't like them open in the first place. :P
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:27 pm

The canopy on my "Big Hog" Corsair works but is a little loose. The canopy on my "RAF" P-51C constantly fell off and was, in my opinion, not that great of workmanship. I mean, the canopy itself looks great, but 21c could have added little tabs to the bottom sides to hold it in place - exactly like they did on the S1 "Bald Eagle" P-51B.

Nevertheless, I modified the canopy on my plane and now it stays on securely 8)

Here's how:

Cut off a very tiny sliver of a rubber band, cardboard, or plastic - small enough to fit in the aft bottom corner of the canopy framing without being seen. (See the area marked in the photo.) This "tab" should stick out from the framing toward the inside of the canopy no more than 1 mm. Glue the tab to the canopy using a little dab of modeling glue or another adhesive. Do this on both sides.

Image Image

What the little "tab" will do is create friction between the canopy framing and the fuselage. This, combined with the tabs on the front of the canopy hold the piece on securely. Hope this helps :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Jagdpanther
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jagdpanther » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:38 am

My canopy falls of the Corsair all the time to. I will have to probably glue it, but most of my other planes canopy's stay on.

rvlyssup
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by rvlyssup » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:27 pm

Great idea tman...thanks!

I guess it isn't so bad if the planes are just sitting on display. If I start hanging from the ceiling then I'm gonna have to do some mods.

Thanks y'all for the response...
Stang...Gun...Vag Nut.

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:35 pm

At one point I heated the canopy with a hair dryer and pressed it tighter together and that worked some, however be careful because I had one break on me.
Todd