Conte GIs. Recommendations?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Conte GIs. Recommendations?

Post by Col.Pickle » Sun May 20, 2007 7:30 am

I just bought 27 plastic Conte GIs all in different poses off ebay. Any suggestions on painting? Also has anyone else ever bought these, are they good?
Thanks!
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General Patton

Soldier16S
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soldier16S » Sun May 20, 2007 8:06 am

ColP,

Was also interested in getting these, but the full set of 100+ (all 10 sets).

Can you describe the plastic?

Thanks.

-Noel
ADA First To Fire!
US Army 1986-1996
The ONLY GOOD DAY was yesterday...

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Sun May 20, 2007 10:28 am

well I haven't received them yet but the package should arrive at my mailbox hopefully on tuesday.
"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General Patton

GIToys
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by GIToys » Sun May 20, 2007 11:40 am

These are incredible figures...more rigid plastic than previous Contes. I have three full sets in three different colors as well as Playset #1 in the Bloody Omaha Series (the landing craft is incredible!).
They paint up beautifully...just prime and paint away. Fine details show up nicely.
--gitoys

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Sun May 20, 2007 11:44 am

the bloody Omaha series ones (the painted sets) are incredible! They look real! However the price is not so great. :?
- General Patton

ostketten
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by ostketten » Sun May 20, 2007 3:18 pm

Check the Michigan Toy Soldiers site, I believe they have an excellent tutorial from some of best in the business on how to paint soft plastic soldiers. If I'm not mistaken acrylics are the recommended paint for these guys. Good luck.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Sun May 20, 2007 6:13 pm

thanks! thats good news because I usually paint in acrylics.
- General Patton

Soldier16S
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soldier16S » Sun May 20, 2007 9:44 pm

Earlier reports from some 54mm soldier collectors indicated that the plastic is too brittle and pieces get easily broken off.

That was why I was asking. I really like the rubber-type material they used in the Canadian-made airborne and Germans series. Hard to break any weapon tips that way. That is why I like 21st and FOV 1:32 figures.

Some of the collectors report that the plastic is nearly exact to the Glencoe reissues of Marx 54mm soldiers plastic.

Anyone have anything to add.

-Noel
ADA First To Fire!
US Army 1986-1996

GIToys
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by GIToys » Mon May 21, 2007 7:38 pm

Not true at all...these figures are not that fragile. While not as supple as the first generation Contes, these new GIs are are pretty sturdy.
--gitoys

Soldier16S
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Soldier16S » Tue May 22, 2007 5:52 am

Thanks for the clarification, GI. Glad to hear it!

-Noel
ADA First To Fire!
US Army 1986-1996

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Tue May 22, 2007 5:17 pm

YAHOO! I just got them and they're sooo sweet! The poses are amazing and same with the detail. And they don't seem to brittle either :D Haven't started to paint them yet but I'm sure it'll be a blast.
- General Patton

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:55 am

yes! I have finally finished all 29 of my guys! If I ever figure out how to post pcitures I'll show you all em. Warning: I am by no means a good or skilled painter so do't expect these to look great. I merely painted them when I was bored so that they would be brought to life even more. Please don't laugh too hard at my 2nd attempt (ever)painting soldiers.
- General Patton

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:23 pm

hey thanks! Pics coming up soon!
- General Patton

Jagdpanther
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Jagdpanther » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:45 pm

schizuki rite I'm sure there gonna look awesome. :wink: I have a few Conte Germans and Air born guys myself. All thou I never got to painting them yet, I'm not so great at painting either.

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:41 pm

Yes I know these photos aren't so hot or clear but my battery in my digital camera was running low so I had to race against it to take the pics (so just imagine that you can see that sloppily painted eyes on them :) ). I was lucky cuz just as I finished taking the final pic it shut down. Also I was stupid enough to put on this gloss stuff before i took the photos. The gloss thing is supossed to protect the paint but it shines bright! Once my battery charges up again I'll post clearer, sharper fotos and pics of the rest of my motly crew of GIs.

- General Patton

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:12 am

there's non glossy finishes??? The one I used was a Tamiya paint. Now that I've painted I think I've caught the painting bug. I need to paint more things now! I've already started on a German casualties set Anyway from now on I'll post all new pics in the customs and mods forum. So check my new pics there if you want.
- General Patton

hotrodrock
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by hotrodrock » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:13 pm

You definitely want to use a flat final coat. I have had great results with just the small cans of Tamiya and Testors "Dull Coat". Nothing fancy. Available at most hobby type stores.

Something you might want to try for flesh color is the small bottles of Testors enamel called "wood". I've tried lots of the more expensive paints and techniques and that simple bottle of testors enamel works fine. Probably have to thin it a little though. That particular color can be hard to find sometimes though. I've used just about every type of paint on these Conte soft plastic figures and it all has worked pretty good.

Col.Pickle
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Col.Pickle » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:13 pm

hey thanks! I just started this hobby so I don't know alot about paints yet so any advice is rly appreciated!
- General Patton