M7 Preist is Out

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
luftpanzer
Officer - Brigadier General

M7 Preist is Out

Post by luftpanzer » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:26 pm

Just got the email from my sales rep at 21stC, The M7 preist is out along with 3 new battle packs. The battle packs are 1) 251 and 222. 2) hellcat tank destroyer and a tiger 1, 3) P47 and a FW190

http://www.ecsmilitary.com/page3.html
Back At ft campbell KY Formally of Ocala FL

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:34 am

saw the tiger vs M18 and the 21st Tiger looks smaller than my S1 FOV.

nfafan
Sergeant
Sergeant

We can only wish

Post by nfafan » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:38 pm

that 21C would pantograph up the M7 to 1/18th.... Or the M18. Or 222.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:45 am

that's been covered before....they can't simply scale up 1/32 models as the detail would not be crisp enough, so they have to make XD ones from scratch. Our best hope is that the new halftracks and pak sell really well, then that may encourage 21c to make all new vehicles.

My trick knee tells me that 1/18 armour is gaining momentum and will get more popular as time goes by.
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

EnemyAce
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by EnemyAce » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:36 am

I found a 32x Pz III L in all tan DAK markings w/green turret palm tree symbol at a WM in Iowa.

flpickupman
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

aferguson

Post by flpickupman » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:36 am

I'm with you on that. Every new 1/18 piece opens up the possibilites for custom fodder too. :)
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it.
-W.C. Fields

Hyguy21
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hyguy21 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:11 am

I just recieved 2 priests yesterday by mailorder. Overall the piece is well done and a welcome addition to the lack of variety within the ranks of allied armor on the market today. I think the crew figures are average at best, and would be much improved if you repainted them yourself. I do have on complaint about the paint job on the priest itself. The olive drab and black camo paint is great, but it fades away into the white or gray primer underneath as it goes down the side to the tracks. I think the idea is that this fading of the paint represents weathering, but it really looks like the paint job is incomplete. Portions of the crew cabin have also not been painted with olive drab and remain in the primer color. I don't know if this is historical, have a feeling it is not, but it really seems like the paint job was rushed or incomplete, at least on the 2 that showed up on my doorstep. Nevertheless, a must have piece in the 1/32nd scale range.

Wieslaw
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Wieslaw » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:12 am

Hyguy,

could you tell us how much "cold steel" the vehicle has and which parts are plastic?

Thanks
Wieslaw
For our freedom and yours

binder001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by binder001 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:42 am

Portions of the crew cabin have also not been painted with olive drab and remain in the primer color. I don't know if this is historical,

No, not historical - the entire interior of an M7 would be OD. The WW2 standards stated that interiors of closed top tanks, etc should be white, but ANY PART visible from an overhead aircraft should be OD (or camouflaged). That's why some armored cars (M8) have white inside the lhull, but have OD floors under the turret. A FEW tank destroyers and armored cars might have had white turret interiors, but they were painted outside of regulations.

I'm personaly VERY excited about the M7 being available! I can deal with a little touch-up paint because I usually correct/add details anyway.

Now, to keep lobbying for a 1:32 scale 2.5 ton 6X6!!!!!

Gary

binder001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by binder001 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:46 am

aferguson wrote:that's been covered before....they can't simply scale up 1/32 models as the detail would not be crisp enough, so they have to make XD ones from scratch.
That may be partly true, but as a long-time model builder I can tell you that almost all of the earlier 1/18th vehicles were basically pantographed up versions of Tamiya 1/35th scale models. They not only copied all the features, but carefully copied EVERY error in the original kits. Most of the 1/32 stuff also has Tamiya ancestry - very recognizable.

Gary

luftpanzer

Post by luftpanzer » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:44 pm

Yep. The 1/18th Tiger with Interior is exactly the same as the Tamiya 1/16 Tiger model the had interior detail.
Back At ft campbell KY Formally of Ocala FL

Hyguy21
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Hyguy21 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:49 pm

After closer inspection of the priest, the fading of paint appears to be not fading at all. 21stC has used a light colored wash on the bogies and tracks to simulate weathering. It looks like the priest drove through a bowl of milk instead of weathering to me , not a big fan. Wieslaw, the only metal portion appears to be the hull. The back wall of the crew cabin, the crew cabin floor, the front of the priest between the tracks (the hood if you will), canon, commander cuppola, the underbelly of the hull, and the bogies are all plastic. Overall, the piece has a sturdy feel however.
Gary I am with you on the deuce and half, its gotta be the third most recognizable allied vehicle from WW2, possibly #1 being the sherman, and #2 the wileys jeep, and we have yet to see this thing produced. I think I would buy like 5 of them.....

cruizin2000
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by cruizin2000 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:03 am

These sound pretty good. I hope the Wally's in my neighborhood stocks them soon.

C2000
Attack!!!!

Tanker85
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Tanker85 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:00 am

:D I found the Preist at the Joplin Mo. Wal-Mart last night.

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:34 am

The paint job on the M7 is not too bad. The weathering depicts the accumulation of road dust that often made the tank look much lighter in color. Most examples I have seen, in color photos, are usually covered all over with dust though. While the 21st paint work is a departure from their usual work and actually realistic, it is kind of a shock to see. It does grow on you though.

The camo job follows the North African camo scheme except 21st used black instead of sand color. It is almost right on pattern wise, not color wise though. There are many repaint opportunities, like the three color British desert scheme(the Brits used M7s in the Alamein scheme). The US had the M7 in North Africa with a US Army Engineer sand color applied with the standard OD that made for an interesting pattern, mentioned above. Finally, there was a scheme applied to tanks and M7s based at Heliopolis, Egypt. They were all tan with a white star on a blue circle. They were used for training and testing. They had Grant tanks painted this way too.

Functionally, I was surprised the gun does not elevate more than it does with out a struggle. The traverse range is ok and the recoil function is nice. The opening drivers vision port is a nice touch. My issue is with the tracks. They come right off all the time. I dont know if it is the bogies or the track itself, but the tracking quality is poor. I dont understand as the more recent Shermans they came out with(Pacific rainbow schemes) seemed to have the tracking problems fixed. Nice model overall with the exception of the tracking issue.

TJ

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:33 am

The M7 Priest is showing up in DC metro area WM's, I found one at the Mt Airy Maryland Wally a few days ago. All the multi packs (both AC and armor) have been available here for a while, at least a month or so. Still looking for the new playsets though, no sign of them yet.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:17 pm

we got the M7s here in Florida.

FieldmarshalX
Corporal
Corporal

Post by FieldmarshalX » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:21 pm

Holy Smokes!!!!!wich wally's in Fla.????????
Hey look a baby wolf!Cpt Wild Bill Kelso U.S. Army AirCorps

rmoore456
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by rmoore456 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:53 pm

The priest finally showed in central Illinois. Found them at the Springfield, Illinois Walmart. Lack of quality control reared its ugly head on this one to ruin a fine model. Glue streaks all over. Misaligned parts, worse was the top ring of the pulpit. Ammo can for 50 cal. glued on the wrong side and upside down. At least I have one!

Ray

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:02 pm

FieldmarshalX wrote:Holy Smokes!!!!!wich wally's in Fla.????????
saw one in the Cocoa, Florida Wally.

nfafan
Sergeant
Sergeant

M7 looks good!

Post by nfafan » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:14 pm

Just seen one in a VA WalMart, looks good. Might just grab one 'cause I know I'll never build a 1/35th kit of same. Wish it had more figs!

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:24 am

"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c315/photbug/image6.jpg[/img]
On your mark! Get set! Lunch....
Want your own website? PM me!