32x M-7 Priest

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
ltcbj
Officer - Brigadier General

patches

Post by ltcbj » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:55 pm

I thought that the patches were field expedients and consequently less than standard application across each model variant.
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c315/photbug/image6.jpg[/img]
On your mark! Get set! Lunch....
Want your own website? PM me!

binder001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Sherman armor

Post by binder001 » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:19 am

The "patches" are usually referred to as applique armor. This was an official modification, not a field experiment. There were THREE side patches (two right and 1 left), these are very specific as they added armor over the hull ammo bins for the 75mm gun. On welded hulls there were also extra armor added in front of the driver and bow gunner. Applique armor was added at the factory on new or rebuilt vehicles and some was done in Ordnance depots in England.

You are right, FoV got the hull apllique wrong.

We need a good 1/32nd scale "wet stowage" hull for late-model M4A3s.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:10 pm

We need a good 1/32nd scale "wet stowage" hull for late-model M4A3s.
I would dearly love to see 21C and/or FOV turn out an M4A3E8 model, the so-called "easy eight", to me its the pinnacle of development of the Sherman as an AFV in WWII. Here is a nice 3D image of one: http://gunpoint-3d.com/view-e8.f.html Outside of plastic 1/35 scale kits, the only model of the E8 that I am aware of is produced by the franklin mint... http://www.franklinmint.com/product1.as ... uct_ID=815
but at around $200 bucks it is way too pricey for my tastes, but an impressive model nonetheless.

grockwood
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by grockwood » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:28 am

I have been out of model building for awhile, but I remember at the time Russian models just didn't sell that well. I heard it from several hobby shop owners and remember seeing an interview with a Tamiya models executive who was explaining why they made more German models then Russian. Maybe FOV and 21st are using this as an excuse not to make any Russian stuff.

OzDigger
Corporal
Corporal

Post by OzDigger » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:58 am

Good on FOV, they're really showing the way by bringing out some classics that others haven't touched yet. It makes a change from all the German tanks. Which are nice but to much of a good thing from some manufacturers such as Dragon becomes a drag after a while.