21st Century 1/32 Stug IV info?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

21st Century 1/32 Stug IV info?

Post by dragon53 » Sun May 21, 2017 5:06 pm

Can anyone give a review (and information) on this 21st Century 1/32 Stug IV?
I couldn't find it in the SSHQ 1/32 Database, and on one website, it's listed as a Stug III.

tmanthegreat

Re: 21st Century 1/32 Stug IV info?

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon May 22, 2017 10:51 am

Dragon, here's a review of the 21c 32x Stug IV 8)

The Stug IV is one of 21c's oldest 32x vehicles. There are two versions: the S1 plastic ambush camo version (date stamped 2002) and the S2 "Cold Steel" diecast yellow/green camo version with the side skirts (date stamped 2004).

S1 plastic Stug IV in ambush camo:

S2 Cold Steel Stug IV in yellow/green camo:

The S1 Stug IV was initially an exclusive vehicle that was part of the TRU-exclusive 32x Deluxe Military Playset, though it later got released in one of the smaller 32x Playset offerings. The S2 Cold Steel version was released as a single boxed vehicle and tends to command a higher price compared to similar 32x vehicles nowadays.

32x Deluxe Military Playset (not my picture)

The 21c Stug IV tooling makes use of the same chasis that would later be used on their various 32x Panzer IVs and related models (Panzer IVH, Panzer IVD, Wirblewind, Mobelwagen, Brummbar). It is fairly simplistic by later 21c standards with the tools and spare track links moulded on and just basic detailing of the headlamps and notek light.

Stug IV chassis details:

Stug IV hull & rear deck details:

Some of the nice details on the Stug IV include the spare bogie wheels in the rack, the jerry cans, additional track links and the tow cable. The S2 Cold Steel Stug IV obviously has the schurzen (side skirts) present with their racks detailed. It is possible to remove the skirts and racks, if desired. You will also notice that the driver's vision ports are not painted on the S1 Stug, while they are painted on the S2 version. In an interesting twist, the S1 32x Stug has a fixed machine gun poking through the armored plate on the front glacis. This is inaccurate and was later corrected on the S2 Cold Steel Stug IV.

S1 32x Stug IV with inaccurate MG placement:

Corrected front glacis on S2 Stug IV:

There are a number of opening hatches and working features on both of the 32x Stug IVs. Both panels on the engine deck open to reveal detailed radiators with the empty engine compartments serving as a possible storage space for the leg pieces of a crew figure. (This feature was present only on the Stug IVs and not on any of the other Panzer IV derivatives 21c made). The gunner's hatch opens as does the driver's hatch and the two access panels on the front plate of the upper hull. The main gun elevates with limited traverse and the tracks roll. Both Stug models have different defensive MGs with the S1 version having a very basic MG and the S2 version having a more correctly detailed MG-42. For another quirk, the S1 plastic Stug IV does not have an opening commander's hatch. This was rectified on the S2 Cold Steel version where the hatch swings open.

Opening Hatches on S1 32x Stug IV:

Opening Hatches on S2 32x Stug IV:

S2 32x Stug IV Commander Cupola Detail:

It is hard to say which Stug IV I like better... The S1 version has a neat (if inaccurate) ambush camo pattern, but lacks the opening commander's hatch and looks a bit naked without the schurzen. The S2 version corrected some of the inaccuracies of the first vehicle (namely the opening commander's hatch) and has the schurzen, but the paint work is a bit basic. These are the only Stug IV's available in pre-built 1/32 scale. For some reason, Forces of Valor never made a Stug IV, which is too bad as it could have been an excellent model!

Hopefully this review and pictures get you the information needed, Dragon :D
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Mon May 22, 2017 10:18 pm

TMANTHEGREAT:

Thanks for the excellent review. I bought one, the S1 hunting version, on ebay, but couldn't find any info or photos of it on the 1/32 SSHQ Database. I found the one photo in the original post, but that's all.
Your photos show the ebay Stug is missing two parts---the black, U-shaped pipe on the rear right fender behind the gas can and also a gas can on the left rear fender. I contacted the seller to see if he has the missing parts.
Based on your review, I assume the 21st Century Stug is a generic one and not based on a real one so it has no history.
Thanks again for the help.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Mon May 22, 2017 10:23 pm

TMANTHEGREAT:

I just heard from the seller--he said he's sending me a complete Stug with all the pieces from his own collection instead of the other one.
Thanks again for the photos---I wouldn't have known about the missing pipe without your photos.

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Tue May 23, 2017 11:11 am

I guess I found out who bought my stug IV :-)

And great review tman, I have had the S2 for years and never realized it had an operating commanders hatch.

-Kevin

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Tue May 23, 2017 3:43 pm

KEVIN:

I didn't realize you were on SSHQ.
Thanks again for substituting the other Stug. I'm looking forward to receiving it.

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Sun May 28, 2017 12:19 pm

USPS says it arrived. What do you think of it in person?

-Kevin

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sun May 28, 2017 1:59 pm

Kevin:

It arrived in great shape. The ambush paint scheme is really good. The Stug IV is the only major German armor I didn't have in my collection, and I was reluctant to get a Dragon 1/72 Stug IV because they're too small, so this 1/32 Stug IV is what I was looking for.
Thanks again for the excellent transaction.

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Sun May 28, 2017 11:17 pm

Glad you like it! Don't forget to leave me some eBay feedback!

-Kevin