Boley 1/72 Classic Planes?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Boley 1/72 Classic Planes?

Post by aferguson » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:24 am

Anyone heard of or seen these diecast mosels from about 8 years ago? They made some pretty unusual planes from WWI era and shortly after. The molds look a bit toyish but reasonably accurate but the paint jobs are bizarre.

Epap?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Re: Boley 1/72 Classic Planes?

Post by Epap » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:37 am

I bought a few a long time ago, AF, but they were not only toyish---especially the wheels----but also had really weird paint "schemes" and markings. As I recall, some of the U.S. planes had German crosses, for example. I deep- sixed my small Boley collection about five years ago.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:48 am

hm.....that's what i noticed. But they made some very obscure subjects. Not even worth repainting then i gather?

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:22 pm

That's right, AF. I thought about it but the models were just too "basic" to be worth a code 3 effort.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Tue May 12, 2015 1:37 pm

This series of model planes was originially made by Edison Giocattoli of Italy, several years ago. Then Boley used the molds to make their line and now, Cararama has reissued them as well....not sure if they are associated with one of the other 2 companies or not.

Decided to go for the Hansa Brandenburg DI in this series. It's an interesting and unusual fighter used by Austria-Hungary during WWI; designed by Ernst Heinkel and features a unique 'star strut' arrangement which was used in order to eliminate the need for rigging wires.

I read that the Edison line used stickers, not printed on markings, whereas Boley and Cararama use printed on markings. It's a bit of a moot point as the paint scheme on the model is totally bogus and needs to be redone....however at least there are no annoying stickers to have to peel off and clean up after.

I got the model for a pretty good price, $21 shipped...it acutally looks better in person than in the pics:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLANE-HANSA-BRA ... 150wt_1153

[CAT]CplSlade
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Tue May 12, 2015 4:14 pm

I have a set of 1/72 scale 1960 Volkswagen Type 2 single cab pickups from Cararama. Their stuff is pretty decent for the price; the detail and paint is much better than my Hot Wheels and Matchbox VWs. Interesting paint jobs on mine as well, but in reality some of the colors are not far off from what the factory offered at that time.

I'm guessing if the planes are still toyish then Cararama is just straight reusing the molds and not doing any retooling. A shame since I believe they could offer some decent looking items - certainly on par with what 21C and FOV offered in their smaller scales.

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Wed May 13, 2015 4:14 am

I picked up the Cararama Hansa-Brandenburg just for kicks, AF, and redid this mostly black model in a more appealing---to me---scheme. Here's a picture:Image

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed May 13, 2015 5:01 am

looks great Epap.....i'm hoping to pull something like that off myself.

Did you get any of the other Cararama models?

Epap
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by Epap » Wed May 13, 2015 6:43 am

Thanks, AF. Nope, so far, this is the only one I've bought. I may buy another--- but I'm not sure, as yet.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Wed May 13, 2015 9:18 am

oh btw, those Oxford Chinese Ratas we talked about on the Yuku board are available from Jumbilies now. Nobody else seems to be getting them, so they may be something Jumbilies purchased on their own.