1/144 P-38J Backdated to P-38E/F

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
JollyRoger
Sergeant
Sergeant

1/144 P-38J Backdated to P-38E/F

Post by JollyRoger » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:11 am

I always liked the earlier version of the P-38. The sleeker oil cooler intakes were much more attractive in appearance than the later clunkier ones. It just looked like it was going fast while standing still. With the huge collection of 1/144 we have I needed to add this aircraft so I finally got the urge to make one.
I took an old Crown/Academy kit ( I didn't realize how bad this kit is) and started.
I filled the lower portions of the booms with putty to give me a base for reshaping and the top of the boom with reformed fishing weights for balance. I filled the nose with weight so the plane would sit correctly without a tail stand.

The two booms showing one reshaped and the other standard. The side boom radiators also were different shape on the earlier P-38's.

More forming and checking and filling and sanding.

The gun ports had to drilled out.

Oil cooler inlets drilled and formed. The right side had to be filled and drilled 3 times before I was happy.

First coat of paint to find imperfections.

Gear doors were made from thin sheet plastic.

The props needed much thinning and reshaping.

Got her on her wheels. The landing gear struts had to reworked to give them the proper height to make her sit properly.

Props are done.

NOW THE CANOPY!
The kit canopy is a miss shaped clear blob of plastic. I took a Bandai P-38 canopy and attempted to home vac u form a new one but it just did not work out right. I might have used a clear sheet that was a little too thick and besides forming over the Bandai canopy made the new one oversize.
So there was only one thing to do.
Make my own framework.

TO BE CONTINUED.

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: 1/144 P-38J Backdated to P-38E/F

Post by cnq » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:36 am

Excellent work. Looking forward to see it finished.

The_Helicopter_Pilot
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Post by The_Helicopter_Pilot » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:09 pm

You got some amazing skills, looking great!
A helicopter does not want to fly, it just vibrates so much that the ground rejects it

JollyRoger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by JollyRoger » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:34 pm

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

OK so I completed the framework and put it aside to make sure all the superglue set.

Once it was cured I sanded the joints so they blended together.

Thinking it looked alright I still had a feeling something was missing. Then it dawned on me, the P-38's side window's had "X" bracing. I found some lengths of stretched spru that my son and I used for antenna wire on larger scale models. I was curious what size it was so I put in a micrometer ( you can see a piece in the micrometer) it turned out to be .005 dia.

I then put it in the side windows.

My plan is to use Krystal Klear for the windows but I am not sure how its gonna be for the bigger pieces. I sanded the canopy framework smooth and brushed on some OD to see what it looked like.

At this point I dry fitted some guns. ( I was postponing the Krystal Klear part).

The guns looked pretty close to scale to me.

Once everything is done they will be the last pieces to go in

Well, gave it a finale coat of OD to match canopy to body, cleaned up overspray on bottom with Neutral Gray, put a radio in the back of the cockpit, painted inside cockpit black, put some pastel chalks on the superchargers to make them stand out a little more.

Alright I can't put it off any longer I have to do the Krystal Klear now.

JollyRoger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by JollyRoger » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:30 am

Used vise and pin vise with drill in cannon gun port so I could make the window I am working on flat hoping gravity will keep the Krystal Klear from going concave. These pics are the first window ( the front windscreen).

JollyRoger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by JollyRoger » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:06 pm

The front windscreen, top canopy and 2 side windows have the Krystal Klear. Even tho it was upside down when it dried the top canopy concaved a little bit. Gotta think of a way to fix that.

Seeing that the top canopy concaved a bit I decided not to use the Krystal Klear on the last 4 bigger windows. Going back thru the supplies I found some thinner clear plastic so I took the bandai canopy back out and tried to vac u form again just to get some pieces.

This time it somewhat worked enough so that I could start cutting and fitting. You can see the vac u formed canopy and to the right of it one of the front side windows. For a size perspective I put a nickel next it.

JollyRoger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by JollyRoger » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:27 pm

Another size perspective pic.

The 2 front side windows are in, once the glue is dry the edges of the windows will be blended in to the frames and body with paint.

JollyRoger
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by JollyRoger » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:25 pm

All set, waiting for the right markings to come along.

cnq
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by cnq » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:25 am

Very nice work JollyRoger. I like your scratch building canopy frame.