Dragon 1:35 Scale Diecast Armor

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Dragon 1:35 Scale Diecast Armor

Post by lightning2000 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:58 am

Well,
After years of speculation, Dragon has finally announced that they're getting into the 1:35 scale diecast military market. Here's the link to the announcement:

http://www.dragon-models.com/

Check under "Green Alert"...

Lightning2000
www.themotorpool.bigstep.com
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

hworth18
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by hworth18 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:04 am

I'll believe it when I see it.. They announced their "Waterline series" of warships 2 years ago and we still have yet to see them...
:?
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

Mr. Football
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Football » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:25 pm

Notice, they're going to be available worldwide (except for Japanese market).

They must have some sort of agreement with Tamiya.
"I like a man who grins when he fights" - Winston Churchill

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Dragon 1:35 Armor

Post by lightning2000 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:15 am

Looks like they're going to kick off things by producing an early version Tiger I in DAK livery. I know Tamiya produced a Tiger I as their inaugural Masterwork vehicle, but then again Dragon chose a Tiger I to start their 1:72 scale line. Construction materials arent discussed on the site -- just some exterior photos provided. Looks quite nice, but I'm interested in hearing what its made of and the price. I too think its strange that these vehicles wont be available to the Japanese marketplace...

If it is true, then you could very well expect to see their 1:48/1:50 scale line ported over as well. Food for thought...

Lightning2000
Create Your Own Battlefield in Miniature or Build Your Own Private War Museum...The Choice is Yours at The Motor Pool!

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Tiger I

Post by lightning2000 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:41 am

I'm not sure if this is, in fact, a Tamiya Tiger. It bears the same turret number identification and background data as their recently announced 3 in 1 plastic kit line. Question is, how much metal is in this beast or is it all plastic?

Lightning2000

Hoverbug
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Hoverbug » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:29 am

Even if it is all plastic, at least they have afixed it to a stand. The problem with the Tamiya Masterworks was that they were too fiddeley and routine movements were likely to result in damage.

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Dragon Armor

Post by lightning2000 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:43 am

I agree in regard to the display plinth. The problem is they're now looking to reach the same customer that purchased 1:35 scale Minichamps tanks which are virtually all-metal. If the vehicles are going to be around the same price point (speculation at this point), then they need to give the vehicles some heft otherwise people are going to come away with a less satisfied feel. Again, that's my look at the issue, and nothing more. If its a combination metal/plastic offering, then I think they need to come in around $49-$69 at the retail level, otherwise the going might be tough...

Lightning2000

jrs
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jrs » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:06 pm

Just so many choices? 1:35 is out for me. I will haveto pick one scale and live with it. So I am staying with 1:32. While Dragon makes some great stuff, the FOV pieces are getting better every release, hard to match unimax on prices.

Mr. Football
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Football » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:55 am

When can we expect this baby to arrive?

lightning2000
Officer - Major
Officer - Major

Dragon 1:35 Scale Armor

Post by lightning2000 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:44 pm

Looks like Dragon is going the same route as Tamiya by producing a composite design of both diecast metal (hull) and plastic. This time around though, they're being priced at $69.99, which includes the base (not sure if it comes with an acrylic cover). The first one is expected in January. Time will tell if its as warmly received as the first 1:72 scale Tiger I. My guess is that this line will sell like hotcakes, unless of course, there are some serious deficiencies.

If we were designing the line, we would've gone with a PzKpfw IV Ausf. J as the starting vehicle, only because the Tiger I has been done ad nauseum by Minichamps. But hey, a fella can dream...

Still no word if both special edition and limited edition versions will be made. Just a hunch, but I think CH will be offering a bunch of limited edition versions (can anyone say "Michael Wittmann or Otto Carius?").

Lightning2000

Mr. Football
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Football » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:57 pm

I thought Carius got onto them pretty good the last time they used his name & likeness and that they won't be doing him anymore.

That is, btw one of my favorite CH issues.