Picture help

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
miggles
Corporal
Corporal

Picture help

Post by miggles » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:28 pm

How do I upload photos to this site?
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream. That's my nightmare. Crawling, slithering, along the edge of a straight... razor... and surviving."

-Col. Walter E Kurtz

PanzerArm
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: Picture help

Post by PanzerArm » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:49 pm

tparkhere
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by tparkhere » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:12 am

I have read all threads on provided link. However, I have one question. Should I download hi-resolution or low-resolution pictures to Phtobucket (or any other picture hosting sites) ? Or, picture resolution does not matter?

I am concerned that if I were to link numerous hi-resolution pictures to this forum, hi-resolution pictures might take a long time to show up. If someone can provide spec for photos that would be even better (eg. 150dpi at 1920 x 1200).

Thank you.

aae83
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by aae83 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:51 am

It depends on what you intend for the photo, and the quality of the original. A good photo at 800x600 is more helpful at conveying a message than something poorly lit and out-of-focus at 3MP. I usually post at 800x600(ish), with minimum JPEG compression (e.g., 10-largest filesize ~150kb). It does take an extra step of converting them to the smaller size with a decent photo-reducing utility (I use a freebie copy of Adobe Photoshop Elements 3.0); you want to shoot your original in the highest resolution and least compression possible with your camera.

If you're trying to show details that only appear in really high resolution, or that someone may want to download and print a photo-quality hardcopy of, then go with the larger file size, but make certain the image quality justifies it. If your goal is to convey an image that most people will view at smaller than full screen on a computer monitor (most monitors are 1920x1080 resolution or less), you can get away with much less. You can also upload the larger image and link to a smaller version, depending on your photo hosting site.

As for the dpi setting I think it's less relevant: usually it sets the default scaling for printing, and won't affect the file size for the same pixel dimensions. (Your conversion software may use dpi as a control for resizing the pixel dimensions, however.)

My two; hope it helps.
aae

An example at 800x600 (115kb):
Was it for this my life I sought? Maybe so, and maybe not...

tparkhere
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by tparkhere » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:33 pm

Being a graphic designer, I have been using Photoshop and design programs for a long time. Your sample picture and spec are perfect. I am planning to shoot diecast planes and armors. And I will be sharing photos on diecast forum.

Thank you.

aae83
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by aae83 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:48 pm

tparkhere wrote:Being a graphic designer, I have been using Photoshop and design programs for a long time. Your sample picture and spec are perfect. I am planning to shoot diecast planes and armors. And I will be sharing photos on diecast forum.

Thank you.
Excellent, and you're welcome; looking forward to seeing your photos!
Was it for this my life I sought? Maybe so, and maybe not...