1/32 Panzer III ausf. M conversion (Finished 2/29/12)

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
PanzerArm
Officer - Brigadier General

1/32 Panzer III ausf. M conversion (Finished 2/29/12)

Post by PanzerArm » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:49 pm

Hey guys, I have been pretty inactive in the hobby for the past few months but I just thought I'd share that I am now back to work! Since my 1/32 JS-2, I haven't really touched the WIP projects on my hobby desk :(

Well I have really been trying to dedicate the time to get back in the swing of things, and my first objective will be finishing this Panzer III ausf. M conversion:

This far I am completely done with the work on the turret, and I am about 25% done on the hull. The hull is now in my crosshairs and I hope to have it done within a week.

-Kevin

-Kevin
Last edited by PanzerArm on Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:06 am, edited 8 times in total.

Rowsdower

Re: WIP 1/32 Panzer III ausf. M conversion

Post by Rowsdower » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:01 pm

Looking real good! The PZIII and IV happen to be my favorite WWII German tanks. 8)
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:52 pm

* View topic also in the customs & mods section 8) :

http://www.warbird-photos.com/gpxd/view ... 48#p272748

- MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

NHoggard12
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by NHoggard12 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:22 am

This is going to look awesome!
I had the same idea when I realized I had left over 21st pzIV turret skirts.

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:29 am

Late night update!

I made some more progress I wanted to share with you all:

I finished the following:

-Muffler
-Engine intake covers (for wading)
-Front glacis spaced armor
-Extension of engine deck plate
-Underside of the engine deck
-Star Antenna with Adler's Nest antenna housing

-Brake vents are almost finished, just waiting for some Bronco German butterfly wingnuts to cap them off.

-Working on building the schurzen now. I got the pieces all cut out this evening, now onto building the framework.

After that, I prime!

Pictures below!

You might have noticed all the fenders are ground down to the metal. I got rid of all the cast tools so I could add Archer Fine Transfer's tread plate texture decals after I prime. Then I will add all the fender details.

-Kevin

Fitzy
Corporal
Corporal

Re: WIP 1/32 Panzer III ausf. M conversion (Updated 2/5/12)

Post by Fitzy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:57 am

Outstanding work Kevin!!!

PanzerArm

Re: WIP 1/32 Panzer III ausf. M conversion (Updated 2/5/12)

Post by PanzerArm » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:57 pm

Another late night update.

I was able to add the tread plate texture to the fenders today. If you guys aren't familiar with the 21st Century 1/32 Panzer III, it has smooth surfaces on its fenders, and the real thing had treadplate; so I rectified that with Archer's water-slide decal AR88050 "Resin Panzer Treadplate".

I primed the tank, so the decals would stick to something, and then cut out the shapes that would need to be applied (that took a while :? ). And some of you are probably wondering, why did you put the decals on before you painted the thing? Well these are the only type of decals that I know of where you put them on under the paint. Since their purpose is to give you the texture as opposed to something visual, they can go on whenever. Below is the shapes I cut for the fenders and the results (which are kind of hard to see):

After that I worked on the schurzen. This was a b*tch and a half. I had originally put this part on hold while I waited for some material to arrive in the mail, but I actually happened upon some at a local hobby store while buying some primer. I guess the stuff I bought from Amazon will go into the extras bin at home. Anyway, I set to work turning that brass angle strip into the two rails that support the schurzen on each side. After many multiples of various expletives I was able to get the desired result below:

Following that little adventure into the world of soldering, I went on to begin finishing the schurzen themselves. I got them roughly fitted to the mounting rails, and now they just need the holes in their centers where the fender braced plug in. I will try and do that tomorrow.

I also did a few other minor things like add the towing clevis extension on the bow armor, and the brackets for the spare tracks

That's it for tonight guys, and I really appreciate all the compliments.

-Kevin

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Re: WIP 1/32 Panzer III ausf. M conversion (Updated 2/8/12)

Post by ram04 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:58 pm

Very, very, nice, the detail work is amazing 8), I understand why you take breaks :D

Jim

PanzerArm

Re: WIP 1/32 Panzer III ausf. M conversion (Updated 2/8/12)

Post by PanzerArm » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:34 pm

Thanks for the compliment Jim. I wich it was just for the reason of burning out that I took breaks, but unfortunately it seems like has been taking the reigns a bit more frequent;y and diverting me from hobby stuff. It wasn't until the beginning of this year that I felt like I could really get back into it, but now I have to start cutting back again here soon. I will be going on Active Duty starting April 15th to attend the U.S. Army's flight school, called IERW. There are a few members here I believe, Tambo being one, that attended IERW, although it was probably some time ago. I will really have to buckle down and focus on my studies during the 12-18 months I am there and I have decided to not take any hobby stuff with me. It will go in storage, and wait for my return. I wish I could find a way to bring it with me, but i don't feel like I'd have the time anyway, and moving it all across country would be quite a hassle. I will certainly remain active here as much as my schedule allows, and then I promise I will jump right back into ti when I get back. Until then I've got a few things I have to finish before I leave. After this Pz III, it's back to the Type 87.

So, after that tangent, here is another quick update:

I received my specialty square hole punch in the mail today ($9.94 on Amazon) and I was able to pop the holes in the schurzen plates. All that is left now is to build the brackets that go through those holes and then add accessories, then paint.

And just because, I thought I'd share with you why I started this project. The motivation behind this build, besides wanting all Panzer IIIs eventually, is because of the FOV Panzer IV G. I always liked how well done this piece was and how well done the schurzen were.

Alright, that is it for tonight. I have reserve duty this weekend, so I probably won't be accomplishing much else for the next few days.

-Kevin

PanzerArm

Re: WIP 1/32 Panzer III ausf. M conversion (Updated 2/10/12)

Post by PanzerArm » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:33 am

The building is complete!!! That was one of my more elaborate builds and I didn't even do any interior stuff! It is primed and I should begin painting shortly (today probably).

Detail of what the Archer Resin tread plate looks like:

What is started out as:

If anyone would like a list of what was done to change this tank I would be happy to oblige :D

Painting begins today!

-Kevin

PanzerArm

Re: WIP 1/32 Panzer III ausf. M conversion (Updated 2/16/12)

Post by PanzerArm » Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:53 am

Forgot to show what tank I want to represent. It is a pretty rare one. The only Panzer III M I have ever seen converted to a befehlspanzerwagen (command tank), believed to be of the 19th panzer division, Kursk 1943:

-Kevin

NHoggard12
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by NHoggard12 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:22 pm

This looks very, very cool. The pzIII should be more represented in the 1/32 scale.
I'd be interested in learning the steps of converting 21st's model to a more accurate pzIII J late.

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:09 pm

That is just simply amazing work, its always a pleasure to see what version you will build next.

I wish I was more versed on the different models or varients of the Panzers, but it seems all I have to do is wait for your next model 8)

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:07 pm

Thanks guys.

NHoggard12, I would be happy to do that, give me a few days to wrap up a few things and I will compile precisely what you would need. Off the top of my head, to make the 21st ausf. L in to a late J, you would need:

-New gun mantlet (no applique armor)
-Remove periscope on top of turret
-Add brake vents (later style)
-Make engine deck and bow hacthes one piece
-New running gear (drive sprocket and read idler)
-Add towing shackles to the front
-Extend engine deck
-New bow MG and new drivers port
-Add notek light
-Add tread on fender

I may be doing this one next, when I do get around to it now that I am putting the hobby on hold for a while. I would be happy to help you research and give you tips on building one if you do decide to build one yourself.

Now, to the update:

I did a lot of painting this weekend. All I have to do now is add some grime and oil spots, then seal, then dust and dirt. I will probably do that tomorrow since I have the day off.

First coat of Dark Yellow:

basic Camo:

Accessories painted, washes applied, chipping, and filter done:

-Kevin

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: WIP 1/32 Panzer III ausf. M conversion (Updated 2/19/12)

Post by Heer » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:17 pm

Looks awesome. I wish I had the skills and time. I'm sure that will be a centerpiece in your collection. I hope you can work for FOV to paint their models. :D
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:53 am

Great job!! There was a bunch of time spent on this and it is definitely reflected in the end result. 8) 8) 8)
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:42 pm

Thanks a bunch guys :D

-Kevin

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:24 pm

I was able to get most of the weathering done today. Saying that all i need to do now is add some oil stains and a few grunge spots, I am calling this done. Took it outside on a beautiful Arizona Tuesday to get some better light:

Without Schurzen:

With Schurzen:

-Kevin

hworth18

Re: WIP 1/32 Panzer III ausf. M conversion (Updated 2/29/12)

Post by hworth18 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:10 am

Looks fantastic Kevin! You did a great job! 8)
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

PanzerArm

Re: 1/32 Panzer III ausf. M conversion (Finished 2/29/12)

Post by PanzerArm » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:41 am

Thanks Harry! I put a lot into this one, both monetarily and in terms of time. Now I just need to sit down and teach myself to paint figures so I don't have a bunch of empty tanks sitting around.

-Kevin

Light.Inf.Scout

Re: 1/32 Panzer III ausf. M conversion (Finished 2/29/12)

Post by Light.Inf.Scout » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:21 am

Wow..that is awesome! :D 8)
Trade References: JOC, IMMEWW2, Razor17019, KAMIKAZE, caesarbc, momaw nadon, supersonicfifi, Tambo, USMA07, bigsarge, American Grenadier, YT, Crazy Kraut, C00per, AV-8B Driver, cjg476, Buckyroo, aae83