Diehard 1/72 collector branching out

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
WalkinTarget
Private First Class
Private First Class

Diehard 1/72 collector branching out

Post by WalkinTarget » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:47 pm

So after many years of slowly adding to my 1/72 collection (2 tanks a year - one for my B-day and another at X-mas) I've been buying at quite a prodigious rate lately, and I am now up to 14 tanks, all at 1/72 scale. All of the forces are well represented, save for the Japanese, but I am soon going to acquire both a Type 95 and 97 (next on my list to buy).

I was sticking to the 1/72 scale exclusively, as I don't have a lot of room to store them at work or home, but I really wanted to add a German rail gun to my collection. I did find both a German 'Thor' and a 'Karl' mortar, but at 1/35 scale they run over $90, and the Schwere Gustav runs around $250 .. OUCH !

Thinking it better to scale it back, I found a seller on Amazon selling a 1/144 scale 'Leopold' rail gun, known by the Allies as 'Anzio Annie' in winter camo for only $40 shipped. Ya, this thing:

I actually saw this in person, and having it in a 1/144 scale is both a good fit on my desk and a good buy at that price.

Ohh, but I wasn't done yet. After seeing the impressive 1/32 collections around here, I decided I would buy one and only one 1/32 scale tank, and it HAD to be a King Tiger. Some guy was selling off dozen of them on Ebay that he bought at an estate sale, so I won this one in the last minute of the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... SA:US:1123

Who knows where this leads, as I don't have the $$ to buy a number of 1/32 tanks, but I've cleared off a spot on both my desk at work for the rail gun and the shelf by my PC for the KT. This is terribly addicting once you start buying them.

tparkhere
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: Diehard 1/72 collector branching out

Post by tparkhere » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:53 pm

Target, welcome to the Dark Side.

Seven years ago, just like you, I started with two 1/72 diecast tanks, FOV T-72 and Tiger.

From there, I got hooked on FOV 1/32 armors. Then, 1/72 diecast planes. Unlike you, I did not get into 1/144 scale. Instead, I went up to 1/48 scale planes. However, 1/48 scale planes were just too huge. I decided to get rid of most of my 1/48 planes. Now, I am constantly buying 1/72, 1/50, 1/35. 1/32 scale diecast armors and planes. I can no longer able to park my SUV in the garage.

This hobby is fun and addictive. Welcome and enjoy!

WalkinTarget
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by WalkinTarget » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:47 pm

Thanks for the welcome ! Whatever hobby I pick up, I search for a forum soon after to educate myself on what is out there, and at this early stage I'm not too concerned with the rarity of a certain model, I just like the different camo techniques that were applied.

I had ignored the Japanese tanks up until recently, but as I tried to balance out my armor collection I noted that there were some now available. The Japanese didn't have any noteworthy tanks in WWII, but almost all of the tanks I acquire have something to make them a conversation piece.

This forum has a lot of guys dedicated to the fine art of making a bone stock diecast much more accurate in detail, and that is truly an art that they can take credit for after its all said and done.

hworth18
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by hworth18 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:16 pm

Welcome WalkinTarget! I have been an avid 1/72 collector for years now but I have actually sold off much of my 1/72 collection and I am now concentrating on the larger 1/48 and 1/32 scales.
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

snake

Post by snake » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:25 pm

Welcome to the forum, WalkinTarget. :D

All of us here started with just one model. :lol:

Can be a very addictive hobby, and before you know it you are getting different scales etc.

That rail gun is done by Dragon? I was considering getting one of those, but talked myself out of it. Not an armour guy, and a large artillery piece just didn't fit in. Although it does look great.

Pretty sure you will really enjoy your 1/32 King Tiger, and I can easily see you getting some more 1/32 tanks. :wink:

WalkinTarget
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by WalkinTarget » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:21 pm

Got the rail gun today. My 5 y.o. son (who loves trains) wanted to hook it up to his Thomas 'HO' scale train and tow it around the track. I hadda tell him 'Ohh Nooo, son, this is not a toy !" Only down side to it is the thing won't stay on the track if you breathe within 2 feet of it.

:(

Ya, I tried to tell myself that one 1/32 was enough, but who knows *shrug*
That 1/16 scale KT looked great until I saw the price ... LoL

WalkinTarget
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by WalkinTarget » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:14 am

Still buying 1/72 armor here, but I do very much enjoy the rail gun and the 1/32 KT that I picked up.

I finally got the War Master JS2 tank (limited ed - #250 of 2000) which was a pre-order for August of 2011. I ordered in July, and it just arrived yesterday. Needless to say, I was less than pleased with the seller, and 2 emails netted me nothing but a copy n paste reply. Is it typical to wait 2.5 months for a pre-order to ship ??

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:40 am

I now only collect 1/72 and 1/32 as well, although I have one of dragon can.do 1/144 leopold gun and their railway vehicles. I am getting close to the point that I have bought all of the 1/72 tanks from dragon, HM, and FOV. However, over the last year I purchased about 6 FOV tanks, halftrack kubelwagen zundapp 88 flak,etc. I do not have the king tiger that you purchased but I do have a germany king tiger 333. You might also be interested in FOV's 2012 releases as well.

Happy hunting. :D
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

Panzer_M

Post by Panzer_M » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:08 pm

for xmas I am thinking of a 1/72 railgun..not a Dora..but a K class should be doable
good traders/sellers/buyers
Alloyskull(x2), PanzerArm(x2), Ostketten, Mikeg,tmanthegreat,Coreyeagle48

WalkinTarget
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by WalkinTarget » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:17 pm

Ohh, this is getting to be an addiction now - 3 tanks and the massive German 'Karl' mortar ordered so far this week :(

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290638435973?ss ... 1439.l2649

Saw this and couldn't resist for that price. It should make a nice accompaniment to my 1/144 Leopold rail gun.

Another auction ends tomorrow .... wife is going to start hiding my credit card :cry: