FOV German Sturmgeschutz III Ausf. B paint

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

FOV German Sturmgeschutz III Ausf. B paint

Post by ram04 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:12 pm

Was spending some time trying to dust some models and took a good look at the FOV German Sturmgeschutz III Ausf. B, Eastern front, it seems to me that this is possibly the worst painted of the FOV pieces I have, seems the lower hull doesn't have hardly any paint on it.

Are all of these like this or did I just get one painted on a monday?

PanzerArm
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: FOV German Sturmgeschutz III Ausf. B paint

Post by PanzerArm » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:18 pm

I bought a few of those only with the intention of repainting them because , as you said, the paint job stinks.

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:35 pm

It would seem this would be a good canidate for a winter paint job, I've seen a few where it looked like they painted them with a paint brush leaving the original markings showing.

Was this common or just someone taking liberties with their customs?, I guess what I'm asking is could a guy make up some white wash and hand paint one and it look realistic?

Any ideas or advice would be welcomed, I don't have a airbrush and I think a rattle can wouldn't work for what I have in mind, thats why I ask about the paint brush, thanks.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:09 pm

They did a crappy job painting it... My upper hull is unpainted and practically unweathered, the lower hull has this airbrushed brown dusting. Guess its supposed to be dust from the Russian steppes... Its similar to what was done on my KV-1 tank, though that looks a bit better. Both are a far cry from my early FOV Enthusiast tanks that are works of art in terms of the weathering and paint work. Heck, I've got FOV Action Grade tanks I got at Target with better paint jobs :P

Despite the paint scheme, increased use of plastic, and lack of opening hatches, I do rather like the Stug III B. Its an interesting vehicle choice and is an evolutionary compliment to their wonderful Stug III G. Has anyone noticed that it has something of a near-complete interior? You can see crew seats, gun breach, and storage lockers in that interior space! The figure is good too.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:18 am

After reading tmanthegreats post I decided to take a look inside my Stug, three screws later ( there should have been four ) I had the hulls seperated, there are seats what looks like shells and a non-detail gun, makes you wonder why they went to the trouble.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:54 am

Thanks for posting the pics of the Stug interior. I was wondering the same thing about why put all the effort into the interior detail, especially when only one hatch opens (they could have easily made the loader's hatch open as well, like on the Stug IIIG). Either way, its one of the most detailed interiors on a FOV tank that we have ever gotten (halftracks excluded). Only the M2 Bradley with its rear compartment and the Jagdpanthers have anything that compares.

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:34 am

I took a quick look at some of my other FOV and other than the Jagdpanther. I didn't see any interior detailing, of course I don't have a overly large collection so thats not saying they don't.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:14 pm

ram04 wrote:I took a quick look at some of my other FOV and other than the Jagdpanther. I didn't see any interior detailing, of course I don't have a overly large collection so thats not saying they don't.
That would be a correct assessment - only the Jagdpanther and the rear compartment on the M2 Bradley (I guess you could also count the troop compartment on the AAVP) would count as "interiors." All the other FOV tanks do not have them, just places in the hatch where the figure stands.

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:04 pm

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but after looking at the Stug awhile I decided to try something, let me know what you think.

MG-42

Post by MG-42 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:58 pm

ram04 wrote:It would seem this would be a good canidate for a winter paint job, I've seen a few where it looked like they painted them with a paint brush leaving the original markings showing.

Was this common or just someone taking liberties with their customs?, I guess what I'm asking is could a guy make up some white wash and hand paint one and it look realistic?

Any ideas or advice would be welcomed, I don't have a airbrush and I think a rattle can wouldn't work for what I have in mind, thats why I ask about the paint brush, thanks.
>>> more often than not , white wash was basically applied by "brush in hand" in the field or anything available at the time ,ie.. broom , mop , so your technic would be accurate. "Btw" , your white wash looks pretty good but I think you over did it a little on the mud weathering. :lol: 8) :D ... Good job Jim ! * :wink:

- MG
" I love it , God help me ,.. I do love it so". * * * * PATTON * * * *

* In memory of ram04 - 7/15/12 *

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:47 pm

Thanks Mitch, yeah after looking at it the mud is alittle too much, I may try to tone it down some.

By the way good to hear from you, noticed you hadn't been around lately :)

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:52 pm

Well, have been really bored, so tried to tone the Stug down alittle, did some looking around and compared it to some other winter FOV, not sure ifs its that much better and I cheated and through in some FOV stuff :lol:

Wrights Collectables
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Wrights Collectables » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:06 pm

ram04 wrote:Well, have been really bored, so tried to tone the Stug down alittle, did some looking around and compared it to some other winter FOV, not sure ifs its that much better and I cheated and through in some FOV stuff :lol:

Ram, just logged in to say..

Wow!

What a great paint job, I would have said FoV had a new release unless I knew better! :lol:

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:14 pm

Thank you, but I'm afraid I'm no painter, I just got lots of advice from some members :D

WalkinTarget
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by WalkinTarget » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:04 pm

ram04 wrote:Thank you, but I'm afraid I'm no painter, I just got lots of advice from some members :D
And quite a humble fellow you are, too ! That paint is fantastic, and like any piece of art, you've added value to it via your labor. Two thumbs up for your efforts, Ram. I myself wouldn't buy the Stug unless you were cleaning it up for me :wink: