Boxes or no boxes?

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
paulmerton
Corporal
Corporal

Boxes or no boxes?

Post by paulmerton » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:24 pm

When I first started collecting 1:72 tanks, I threw away the boxes and put the tanks on display behind glass. After a while, I tended to keep the tanks in their boxes (or at least keep the box somewhere safe in case I ever wanted to sell/swap it).

What does everyone else do?

I feel that by throwing away the box, I am immediately reducing the [monetary] value or collectability of a model. On the other hand, by keeping a tank in its box, I can't help but feel that I'm reducing the enjoyment value of it.

Perhaps the best solution is to buy two of everything - one to keep pristine in its box, and one to open up and enjoy in its entirety :)

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Re: Boxes or no boxes?

Post by ram04 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:33 pm

To me I have to take them out and handle them, I have kept some boxes, but not a lot, I'm not sure that I am what you call a die-hard collector than what you would call a enthusiast.

I don't collect for value, just fun, I'm sure I could spend money on other things, but I enjoy this.

tparkhere
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by tparkhere » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:39 pm

Similar experiences. When I started collecting diecast, I threw away boxes. But, now I keep boxes for 95% of them.

1/32 Armors (FOV, 21st Century) I will keep 99% of them. Boxes take too much space. Boxes are immediately thrown out.
1/35 armors (Dragon, Minichamps). Never even displayed. Keeping boxes.
1/50 Corgi armors. Never even displayed. Keeping boxes.
1/72 armors (Dragon, Hobby Master, etc) Threw away boxes for first 50 or so armors. Now, I keep all boxes for 600+ armors.
1/72 planes. Threw away boxes for first 20 Stukas. Now, not only do I keep boxes, none of the 300+ planes are ever displayed.

I collect diecast for enjoyment and not as an investment. However, if I do get tire of certain models, I sell them to buy other diecast. One thing I did notice is that if certain diecast planes become extremely valuable ($150 plus), I will never be able to display them. If I cannot display diecast planes, in essence, I am collecting boxes. I usually sell those planes (CW, HM Phantoms, Caincorp, etc).

Tshintl
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by Tshintl » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:41 pm

There are far better/sounder/profitable investment opportunities out there than die cast models.

I typically throw all the boxes in the trash. I used to throw the plastic display cases in the trash as well until I figured out people would buy them off me.

Occasionally I will buy more than 1 of a certain piece which may end up in storage. I typically keep them in the original box as they're not on display so why take them out, plus they store much better in the box than sitting out of one.

But I typically don't buy more than one of any model unless I want to customize them at some point or use them for wargaming. As soon as I get around to getting them out, in the trash the box goes.

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:46 pm

I never throw my boxes away for my dragon armors, because their display cases are excellent. The price you pay is included in the box as well, so throwing away the boxes is like throwing away money as well. :D
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

paulmerton
Corporal
Corporal

Post by paulmerton » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:54 am

Just curious about what everyone else does now:

If you keep your models in boxes, where do you keep them?

If you throw the boxes away, where do you display them/store them?

snake
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by snake » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:53 am

I rotate my display, so keep all my boxes. Protects the model when it goes back into storage. And if you were ever to move.

And will give you a better price if you ever decide to sell.

vmf214

Post by vmf214 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:59 am

I keep alot of stuff in the boxes and display it that way, especially if it has a particularly attractive box. I display them on various shelves etc. Alot of times it's an actual space saver. However be careful of excessive fluorescent light exposure as it will fade stuff.

I collect for fun and also for investment. If I ever need some extra fun money I'll just sell something I have to finance another item so I keep all packaging etc. Can't agree that diecast is not a viable investment, I've yet to lose money on anything I've sold. Back in the day when the 21st 1/18 S1 109 was popular, I bought a loose one on ebay that was listed in the "pez" section for five bucks plus shipping, put it back up on ebay in the correct category and got a little over $125 for it. :D

For me it's fun to collect, it's also fun to make a tidy profit and buy more stuff!

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:27 am

I tossed the boxes for most of my 1:32 armor and aircraft save for the ones I haven't opened or the very special edition ones - like my Dragon 1:35 Tiger.
With 1:72 and 1:48 aircraft, I tend to keep the boxes. The Corgi aircraft boxes add to the value of the piece and help me store the item when not in use. Same for the Hobby Master aircraft. Its a little more difficult for the armor and quite often I tend to toss those boxes... I keep some 1:18 aircraft and armor boxes.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:17 am

I keep my boxes, because over time you never know when you're going to rotate your display, move, or get out of the hobby.
You ever seen the Antiques Road Show, where the Grand Dad kept the box for that old toy? Not only did it stay in excellent condition over the years, but they're worth a heck of a lot more for the decendants.

This may not apply so much to toys made in China fifty years from now, but you never know. Plus large plastic airplanes which is most of what I collect, get damaged easily without their boxes and tie downs when not displayed, and usually it's a hard to repair propellor or antennae, so it just makes sense. There's even smaller pieces to break on some of those 1:72 tanks or planes. It's good to keep your options open just in case if you have the room to keep the boxes in storage.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

PanzerArm

Post by PanzerArm » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:41 am

I mostly do the no box thing, unless the pieces are particularly expensive or collectible. For example, my 250+ 1/32 FOV and 21st century vehicles do not have their boxes, save for about two dozen or so that are still NIB. Planes, of which I only have about 10, are split between NIB, or displayed w/o box. The stuff I keep the boxes for even when they're displayed are the things like my Figarti and Britains 1/32 (54mm) stuff. They come with that packaging that is nice to start out with, and it is pretty simple to repack something as opposed to the FOV/21st method of screwing something to a baseplate or using twine and tape and such which is a big pain in the @$$.

-Kevin

GI546
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by GI546 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:35 am

No boxes for me.
Since I collect FOV, I like taking them out of the box and displaying them on my shelf with the acsessories they came with, like a mini dio.
I only kept one box, and that's for a 21st century halftrack.

aferguson
Lieutenant General - MOD
Lieutenant General - MOD

Post by aferguson » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:51 pm

why that box?
i never met an airplane i didn't like...

GI546
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

Post by GI546 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:54 am

Because I got it after 21st went out. So I figured they'd eventually be hard to find so I kept the box just in case.

[CAT]CplSlade

Post by [CAT]CplSlade » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:18 am

All my boxes are in a corner of my attic.