FOV 1/32 Normandy tiger (80004) review

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

FOV 1/32 Normandy tiger (80004) review

Post by Heer » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:44 pm

Overview: Although a little more than 1,000 tigers were produced in WWII, it managed to serve in almost all the theatres of operations in WWII. It was indeed, probably one of the most famous WWII german tanks.

The vehicle: The normandy tiger looks great. It has a heavy diecast feel, and the weathering is excellent. Mud and dents from combat can be clearly seen on the vehicle. The vehicle has a dark and oversprayed green and brown camo. Zimmeret can also be seen, although not a s crisp. Spare tracks and towing cables can be clearly seen, and the cables can even be detached. Three hatches open in the rear as well. An AA MG 34 was also included. One complaint is that the tactical numbers "223" on both sides of the turret are too small. I found actual pictures online, and they were a lot bigger. Tracks roll freely and the turret can turn 360 degrees.

Historically: Tiger 223 was an actual vehicle that fought in normandy. It was one of the lucky tigers that escaped the falaise pocket, but was abandoned a few miles from the Siene because of track damage.

Conclusion: I got this vehicle gor $40.00 plus shipping, and it was a good deal considering that they originally sold for $39.99 when it was first released. I was looking for a normandy tiger for some time, before I got his vehicle. I would recommend the "D-Day commerative series" tiger for those that are interested in a normandy tiger, since it is now more plentiful. Overall, this is an outstanding vehicle, and it looks good next to my kanonenwagen and jagdpanther. :D :D :D
Last edited by Heer on Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

hworth18
Officer - Brigadier General

Re: FOV 1/32 Normandy tiger (80004) review

Post by hworth18 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:17 pm

Nice review. I used to collect the FOV Tigers, but the main drive wheel/ track screwup just really turned me off.
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:40 pm

I have this Tiger and agree it is one of the nicest of the FOV 1:32 Tigers. Its paintjob and weathering detail are far superior to the S1 Enthusiast Grade FOV Tiger that I had in my collection for years. However, I also agree with Hworth18 about the design of the wheels and tracks on the FOV Tiger kind-of throwing off the look of the whole thing. The Tiger was one of FOV's first toolings and they had not quite refined their techniques as they would on some of their later models, so perhaps its understandable...

If you really want a nice Tiger in a similar scale, go with one of the Dragon 1:35 scale Tigers. The Dragon model really out-does the FOV one in terms of detail, even though its in a slightly smaller scale.

Still, 1:32 scale, the FOV Tigers are the best we have.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

ChairmanMilo
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by ChairmanMilo » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:54 pm

I used to love these Tigers too - at one point I believe I had four of them and two of the King Tigers as well. I got out of 1:32 and sold the Normandy Tiger for a small mint. Those were very popular & sought-after a few years back. The Dragon Tiger Is might be slightly smaller in scale but they are far superior, which is why I figure these aren't as sought-after any more.

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by Heer » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:16 pm

It is still surprising to me why I didn't get the normandy tiger despite the fact that this tank was released in 2003. I bought many other vehicles (kanonenwagen, stug III, jagdpanther, 88 flak, kubelwagen, zundapp,etc.) but I never got the tiger 1. I think it's because FOV keeps on releasing other stuff, that it makes me "forget" about the tiger, after all, FOV did release 6 repaints of the tiger 1. I felt that I should have gotten this earlier.

I am really looking into whether I should get dragon's tiger, but from all the pictures I've seen of them, they look to "factory-fresh". I mean, no mud, no dented side skirts, no moving tracks, and most importantky, no figures. One of the reasons why I like and will continue liking FOV is because of the "battle-worn" vehicles. The figures and diorama stuff also makes me happy. I might still get a tiger, considering I like dragon's 1/72 armour line. But seriously, for those people that have a fov tank and dragon tank, how do they compare (besides the size of course) to each other?
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

Wrights Collectables
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Wrights Collectables » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:34 am

Great review, for those wondering here is the FoV Tiger.

It really is a great looking model.

snake

Post by snake » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:01 pm

This is the FoV Tiger that I have, and it is a fine looking model.

The Dragon 1/35 models are superior in my opinion, but they are heavy duty plastic, and do not have the weight of the FoV. Also, they are not weathered, and do not come with figures. Although you can get the Can Do figures for them.

I don't think you would be disappointed with either line.

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:26 am

Heer wrote:I am really looking into whether I should get dragon's tiger, but from all the pictures I've seen of them, they look to "factory-fresh". I mean, no mud, no dented side skirts, no moving tracks, and most importantky, no figures.
I agree with the "factory fresh" appearance, the non-moving tracks, and the plastic construction as being the biggest drawbacks of the Dragon Tigers. However, the model has other features not found on the FOV tank: recoiling barrel, turret interior with gun breach & seats, detailed opening hatches, moving hull MG, perfectly rendered and exacting details, etc. The Dragon and FOV model sort of ballance each other out in terms of features, but the Dragon model is really the most accurate...

Dragon did do a series of figures for their 1:35 Tiger through their CanDo line, the Tiger Aces. They're actually very nice German tanker figures, designed to depict Michael Wittmann and crew. A couple of the latest releases of the 1:35 Tiger come with the 5 figures as well.

Still, this thread did make me pull out my FOV Normandy Tiger. Despite the toyish road wheels & tracks, I do love its dented & dinged appearance and diecast construction 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."