2011 FOV 1/32 releases

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
ketelone
Officer - Brigadier General

2011 FOV 1/32 releases

Post by ketelone » Sun May 29, 2011 7:38 pm

It's interesting when you think about it. Not too long ago FOV had quite a few new releases every year even if some of them were re-paints. This year no re-paints and only two new entries but only one, the German ambulance, is listed with a supposed release date/month. Have things changed that much? FOV can't produce two entries at the same time? I often wonder if FOV is waiting to see how well the 1st new entry will do before they begin producing the second? I hope we're not seeing the beginning of showing pictures of supposed new product and then we never ever see it much like 21st did, and Corgi has done, as well as many other companies have done....
Ah I miss the 'old days' when I could go to my local Walmart and see something new all the time (21st Century as well as FOV).
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

Heer
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Re: 2011 FOV 1/32 releases

Post by Heer » Sun May 29, 2011 8:21 pm

I think FOV has started to turn away from the 1/32 scale ,b/c of the increasing popularity of the 1/72 scale. Trust me, FOV is the only game in town in 1/32.
"...the first 24 hours of the invasion will be decisive...the fate of Germany depends on the outcome...for the Allies, as well as Germany, it will be the longest day." -Erwin Rommel

Wrights Collectables
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Wrights Collectables » Mon May 30, 2011 3:30 am

When we started we tried to sell exclusively 1:32 models (having a background in William Britain toy soldiers), it would have been impossible.

By far the most popular scale is 1:72, it is cheaper and more suitable for storage. You don't need a whole room for a 1:72 collection, you NEED a room for a 1:32 collection (think dioramas). The fact that their cheaper is important given the economic circumstances at the moment and for the foreseeable future.

On to FoV 2011 releases - Their a sign of the times. From speaking with our suppliers China (where most of these models are produced) is in chaos. The model trade was hit early on in this "problematic economic situation", as were all luxuries. Developing models is expensive, firms won't develop if people won't buy, they have to make costs back.

If I'm honest though I was surprised to see the FoV management had chosen to develop another US cargo truck over a tank. But again, I am not an American, you are the largest market in the world and they presumably have developed a product that will sell to you. I just would have thought a tank would have proven more popular.

Also interesting is how FoV has stopped developing and releasing 1:32 soldiers, a shame in my opinion.

I am suspecting Dragon is having difficulties at this moment too, given the recent problems in Japan. This may affect Dragon's releases later this year and into next.

I appreciate this may sound "fake", but now more than ever the model trade needs help. Now is the time (and probably the cheapest ever time anyway) to start that new collection, to buy that new model etc etc.

Sorry for the long post, hope it was worth reading.

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Mon May 30, 2011 5:03 am

I appreciate your input. I too started collecting Britains and of course with the one time ample choices of 1/32 vehicles, I was in heaven. Now Britains has essentially ceased making a WWII line and of course we have seen the demise of 21st, Conte WWII, Figarti 1/32 WWII, and possibly FOV... To start a new scale is overwhelming. I've been leaning towards K&C but that too is a different scale and not inexpensive.....
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

snake

Post by snake » Tue May 31, 2011 7:03 pm

Thanks for the informative post, Wrights Collectables.

Personally, I find 1/72 just too small for single engined props, and tanks. But that is just me.

I notice you are from the UK. The average house in North America is larger than in Europe, or Asia. So you have more room, and don't have to limit yourself to smaller scales.

But manufacturers have to think of the global market, although the US is the largest market.

Disappointed with the lack of new 1/32 releases from FoV, but at least they are releasing something.

Wrights Collectables
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Wrights Collectables » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:53 am

snake wrote:Thanks for the informative post, Wrights Collectables.

Personally, I find 1/72 just too small for single engined props, and tanks. But that is just me.

I notice you are from the UK. The average house in North America is larger than in Europe, or Asia. So you have more room, and don't have to limit yourself to smaller scales.

But manufacturers have to think of the global market, although the US is the largest market.

Disappointed with the lack of new 1/32 releases from FoV, but at least they are releasing something.
Good point "Snake", regarding house size etc.

Ketelone, unless money is really no object to you I would urge you to rethink collecting K+C. Whilst their releases are fantastic I do consider their prices rather to high. There is no doubt they have more detail than WB, but also a larger price tag! WB is the "ford" of toy soldiers, not cheap-but not expensive and not flashy-but reliable! They do seem to have abandoned their 1:32 WW2 range for the time being, focusing instead on individual WW2 models (Osprey inspired figures). Having said all that they keep releasing more 101st Airborne soldiers.

Something we have not mentioned is that 1:72 scale tanks etc are also used by the wargaming community.

Just wanted to share some of my WB Zulu War "Rorkes Drift" collection with you.

Sorry for the shoddy camera work!

For more go here - http://www.wrightscollectables.co.uk/bl ... -war-range
http://www.wrightscollectables.co.uk/bl ... -war-range

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:11 pm

I have not abandoned Britains but a couple single figures a year just will not satisfy me. I believe I have nearly every WWII piece and I crave more. Although I am absolutely not sold on K&C, at least they continue to make new figures and vehicles. Britains has obviously taken a different path with their product as has Conte, Figarti.... Hopefully Britains will return to the fold.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

Wrights Collectables
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Wrights Collectables » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:13 am

ketelone wrote:I have not abandoned Britains but a couple single figures a year just will not satisfy me. I believe I have nearly every WWII piece and I crave more. Although I am absolutely not sold on K&C, at least they continue to make new figures and vehicles. Britains has obviously taken a different path with their product as has Conte, Figarti.... Hopefully Britains will return to the fold.
A very good point, if I hear anything (ie: WB WW2) releases I will let you know.
With the 100th anniversary of WW1 coming up in the next few years I have noticed a flurry of WW1 releases from WB. Maybe you just need to wait another 31 years and be spoilt for choice! :lol:

I would love to see pictures of your WW2 figures.

ltcbj

Post by ltcbj » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:07 pm

I always felt the FoV 1/32 figures to be a bit thick. Looked like bodybuilders in military gear. I still do like the scale but haven't bought anything since 21stC went out of business.

Their 1/72 military vehicles have never been up to the standard that Dragon has set in that scale. I do like the scale though for both storage (even though I live in a "big" American house) and for the variety of 1/72 and HO scale military figures that are available (like Airfix, et al).
I really like the Admiral 1/72 PzIII-H. I consider it their best effort in armor.
"The only constant is change. Often short change. Learn to accept.": Noah Vaile www.dinosaur-toys-collectors-guide.com
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c315/photbug/image6.jpg[/img]
On your mark! Get set! Lunch....
Want your own website? PM me!