Tamiya Masterworks 1/48th scale - Subsequent releases

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
smh_1021
Sergeant
Sergeant

Tamiya Masterworks 1/48th scale - Subsequent releases

Post by smh_1021 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:44 am

Just a follow-up to a post from a few weeks ago .....

I just received the following 1/48th scale releases from
the Tamiya Masterworks 1/48th scale Military Miniatures
collection.

1. Sturmgeschutz III Ausf.B (Sd.Kfz.142) 203rd Assault Gun Battalion (Russia) - panzer grey
2. Jagdpanzer 38(t) Hetzer - German Tank Hunter School (late war) - panzer yellow
3. M4 Sherman (Early Production) - France, Summer 1944

I already have the first Tiger I that was issued, and as I indicated previously ... the
quality and detail (and the cost) are quite good. The Sturmgeschutz, the Hetzer and the
Sherman are equally well-done, with good detail, quality and subtle weathering. If
Tamiya continues to add additional items to the 1/48th scale (as well as the 1/35th scale)
collection, Tamiya may have quite a popular product.

The Sturmgeschutz is, quite simply, impressive - as expected, the tracks 'hang' on the guide wheels
as appropriate, the paint and weathering are very well-done, the short-barrel 75mm gun moves horizontal
and vertically (as does the Hetzer), etc.

If anyone is interested in pictures, I can provide as appropriate. I have also heard that Tamiya will be adding a
winter-camouflage Sturmgeschutz (with what appears to be a snow-covered display base, and another Hetzer
with three-color camouflage.

Just thought someone might be interested.

Regards.

Hoverbug
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Hoverbug » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:32 pm

These are really good. If ordered from HLJ or Lucky Model, they're not that much worse than Cyber-Hobby stuff, shipping included. I'll be over the moon if they release the infantry figs as painted in this scale.

Charlemagne
Sergeant
Sergeant

Prices?

Post by Charlemagne » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:16 am

Just curious, what are those going for? I'm sure they are not cheap but then again neither is Tamiyas quality.

Dan

smh_1021
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by smh_1021 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:44 pm

You can order them from overseas for about 37.00 - 40.00 on average
(the Tigers and the models with camouflage are a lil' more expensive).
In my personal opinion (now valued at a lil' under $.01), the quality, detail, etc. is quite nice for the price - actually less than some of the Dragon CyberHobby Exclusives.

If you need any informationm, PM me.

Hoverbug
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Hoverbug » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:14 pm

These seem to be a much better option than the 1/35 Masterworks, which though very nice, are both expensive and very fragile. These are still incrediby detailed, but are far safer on their secured bases and much more affordable. Let's have some more!

luftpanzer
Officer - Brigadier General
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by luftpanzer » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:01 pm

These seem to be a much better option than the 1/35 Masterworks, which though very nice, are both expensive and very fragile. These are still incrediby detailed, but are far safer on their secured bases and much more affordable. Let's have some more!
You said it! And if your in to lionel o scale trains you can make a nice military train for your layout.
Back At ft campbell KY Formally of Ocala FL

smh_1021
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by smh_1021 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:26 pm

I have seen some prelimary pictures of the snow-camouflage (Eastern Front) StuG IV - I am anxiously awaiting that release. The addition of the snow-covered display base will make the item quite nice from what I can determine - the price may be a lil' more than the initial StuG IV, but compared to paying the 45.00/50.00/60.00 for the Dragon CyberHobby Exclusives ...... even the transverse movement of the short-barrel 75mm is quite realistic.

Agreed that the price, etc. make the 1/48th scale replicas somewhet more 'down-to-earth' than the 1/35th scale - but, I just finished unpacking the 1/35th scale Pershing heavy tank with the ammunition crates, etc. accessories and the model is quite impressive. (A lil' pricey, but impressive.)