1/32 Aircraft

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

1/32 Aircraft

Post by ram04 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:23 am

With 21st starting to run out, what would be a affordable 1/32 scale plane to collect?

So far all the aircraft I have now are 1/18, I have plenty of 1/32 armor and I hesitate to start collecting 1/32 planes if there is no good source.

dragon53
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by dragon53 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:35 am

RAM04:

The best 1/32 planes are the BBI F-4 Phantom II, SBD Dauntless and F4F Wildcat.

Most of 21st Century's 1/32 US planes are hard to find and costly, but I managed to get several P-47 Thunderbolts (Eileen, Hairless Joe, Tarheel Hal) and a P-51 Mustang (Cripes A' Mighty). I also got a ME-262 and FW-190.

There are a lot of Axis 1/32 planes left at Smalljoes starting at $20 ( FW-190, BF-109, Macchi and Zero).

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:55 am

Yup Small Joes is a good place to start, They have some still in stock at reasonable prices.

That BBI Phantom seems to be commanding a higher than usual price at auction now though. Either it's disappeared from online retail, or people just don't know where to find it.

Sometimes you can good deal on ebay with some of the less popular 21C aircraft in 1:32 too.

I was watching a 1:32 Corgi Hurricane (die-cast) last week, and it went for somewhere around $40.
I was definitely peed-off that I missed bidding on it. :cry:
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:26 am

DAUNTLESS:

Smalljoes has the BBI F-4 Phantom---but it's more expensive than when I got mine about two years ago.

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:18 am

dragon53 wrote:RAM04:

The best 1/32 planes are the BBI F-4 Phantom II, SBD Dauntless and F4F Wildcat.
I would disagree with that.. The SBD and Wildcat are nice, but 21st's Fw-190A, Corasir and P-51 B/C are easily much better planes. And, you can still get them off Ebay for less than the price of a Wildcat or SBD. :wink:
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:06 pm

dragon53 wrote:DAUNTLESS:

Smalljoes has the BBI F-4 Phantom---but it's more expensive than when I got mine about two years ago.
That's about when I got mine too for a little less than they are now.
Funny there's one up for auction now that's at $79 last time I checked a couple of days ago.

I want another pair of those Wildcat and Dauntless to custom paint. Doesn't look like we'll be getting any new repaints from BBI which is a shame. Or the Phantom for that matter. :?

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:14 pm

HWORTH18:

You have a point there---my 1/32 P-51 Cripes A Mighty is an impressive plane. But the FW-190 and ME-262 that came in the dogfight sets didn't impress me---so I put them both back in the box. Also, both German fighters had huge glue smears on their canopies.
Last edited by dragon53 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:17 pm

DAUNTLESS:

I agree about the BBI Phantom. Also, BBI should have released it as a VF-84 F-4B, not F-4J, because the VF-84 "B" had the IFR pod under the nose and a combat tour in Vietnam. Also, a "B" could be an easy repaint for a Steve Ritchie F-4D or Robin Olds F-4C. But it's a moot point now.

Rowsdower

Post by Rowsdower » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:50 pm

My favorite 21st Mustangs are the B model Shangrila and the D model double Nuthin' with the checkerboard tail. Not sure about availability though.
This message brought to you in part by Adderall.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:02 pm

I agree about the BBI Phantom. Also, BBI should have released it as a VF-84 F-4B, not F-4J, because the VF-84 "B" had the IFR pod under the nose and a combat tour in Vietnam. Also, a "B" could be an easy repaint for a Steve Ritchie F-4D or Robin Olds F-4C. But it's a moot point now.
Yeah the Vietnam camouflage one with the added cannon is the one I would want.
Loved the story of how they finally put those on the Phantoms after realizing that they still needed to dogfight and missiles alone could not do the job.

dragon53

Post by dragon53 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:37 pm

DAUNTLESS:

Steve Ritchie F4D, Robin Olds F-4C and the F-4E----that's why I buy Hobby Master.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:16 am

Steve Ritchie F4D, Robin Olds F-4C and the F-4E----that's why I buy Hobby Master.
Yeah they're nice, but no jets in 1/32 scale yet unfortunately right?.

I do want some of the few 1/32 models Hobby Master has made though. I know there's the SBD, with the Midway version that's impossible to get now. :?

hworth18

Post by hworth18 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:01 am

Quality control is a problem with 21st, and most of my issues have been with fingerprints on paint more than anything. But I don't blame you for packing away the 262 and Dora anyway since they are old molds and very toylike..
dragon53 wrote:HWORTH18:

You have a point there---my 1/32 P-51 Cripes A Mighty is an impressive plane. But the FW-190 and ME-262 that came in the dogfight sets didn't impress me---so I put them both back in the box. Also, both German fighters had huge glue smears on their canopies.
“The moment you think you know what’s going on in a women’s head, is the moment your goose is well and truly cooked”
-Howard Stark

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:29 am

It's still a good deal at the small joes price, which is about $70 delivered. The only one I've seen listed at ebay recently had a BIN price of almost $130 plus shipping... :shock: Regarding the 21st P-51 Mustangs.... while they have a nice selection of paintschemes, that's about all the line has to offer IMO, the wings on the 21st P-51 stick straight out from the fuselage (ie. no dihedral) which is highly inaccurate and a glaring flaw in my view, and the rivet heads are way out of scale as well (too big) and I personally would recommend either the FOV 1/32 Mustang or perhaps the 1/24 model from Merit International, which looks first rate in the pictures I have seen, as a better choice than the 21st Stang.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:50 am

You may be thinking about the earlier tooling of the P-51D: Flying Undertaker, Big Beautiful Doll, Petite II, Detroit Miss (Dogfight 2-Pk) and a couple others. They had the inferior tooling with the oversize (battleship) rivets.

The new tooling however: Double Nuthin', Miss Bonnie, and the Sharkmouth British P-51D's along with all the newer various P-51 B/C's are much better toolings that don't have the first version's flaws. Particularly the huge rivets. Not sure about the wing angles, but they are definitely superior to the FOV 1/32 P-51D that is currently on a lot of Target shelves IMO.

The later and newer sculpts of the D's, B/C's always go higher on ebay. I think the Shangri La P-51 B/C is the record holder for highest ending price of all 1/32 21C aircraft. It is my favorite also. I only got one. :?

They really need to bring these popular and well done Mustangs back somehow.

ostketten

Post by ostketten » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:23 am

Not sure about the wing angles
To the best of my knowledge the wing dihedral, or more importantly the complete lack of it, is the same on all the 21st 32X Mustangs, even the "better tooled" ones. If you find that to be superior, more power to you.
Gen. George S. Patton Jr., 28th Regimental Colonel, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, U.S. Army, "Blood and Steel"

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:34 am

Yeah to each their own I guess.

Just went to Small Joes and ordered the Macchi 205 Veltro with German markings, and the FW-190 Blue 12. A couple I didn't have. $19 each. Not a bad deal. Better than trying to fight other bidders on ebay.

Wish they still had the FW-190 Black 1, but it's out of stock. Another plane I don't have after doing an inventory of my 32X. I'm still missing a couple of Macchi 202's and 205's, so I may follow up on another order later, when I get some more $$.

BTW: the BBI Phantom is at $54.95 which is a steal these days IMO. Though mine cost $49 when they first came out, that is an outstanding deal if you don't have one yet. The BBI SBD and Wildcat are at $39 so I'm tempted to get a couple more of those if they last.

snake

Post by snake » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:52 pm

Dauntless wrote:
BTW: the BBI Phantom is at $54.95 which is a steal these days IMO. Though mine cost $49 when they first came out, that is an outstanding deal if you don't have one yet. The BBI SBD and Wildcat are at $39 so I'm tempted to get a couple more of those if they last.
That is a great price on all three BBI 1/32's.
Anybody looking for one of these,should order now.

Shame that BBI has not done ANY repaints on this great mold.
I would buy at least a couple more 1/32 F-4's. 8)

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:20 am

Yeah, an F-4 with a Mig 17 and Mig 21 in North Vietcong colors to chase.
Jets right out of "Dogfights"

Of course there's a few more jets, helicopters, armor, and even some propeller aircraft from Vietnam they could do in 1/32, but I'd just settle for an F-4 repaint right now if that's all I'm gonna get.

ram04
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by ram04 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:14 am

Okay, you guys seem to agree alittle bit, I'll start with a few 21st that are still available and then look at the BBI, the Dauntless looks very good ( sorry, I lean real hard to WWII ). Thanks for the replies, keep them coming.

BLACKSNAKES
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by BLACKSNAKES » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:54 am

Hey Dauntless, thanks for the heads up on the F4 and SBD at Smalljoes. I just ordered one of each. Best prices I have seen in a long time!

B Snakes
Good Trader List:
cardenas
popeye357
ram04
xddave
hworth18
PanzerArm
nooker21
paulwong
gliderdwm
sax5thave
Jnewboy
tpa05
warbike

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:08 pm

You will not be disappointe with either the BBI F-4 Phantom or the Dauntless. Both are fine pieces.

The Dauntless has a decent mid-war Pacific scheme from an aircraft based on the USS Enterprise. (I really think BBI should have gone with an early war Corral Sea or Midway scheme, however). The cockpit is highly detailed and the landing gear retract. No moving control surfaces.

I would rate the F-4 as being one of the best aircraft in affordable pre-built 1:32 scale, period. The detail is simply fantastic and better than BBI's larger 1:18 jets. You will love the cockpit with painted instruments and all the switches, etc. Lots of ordinance, movable flaps, airbreaks, and tail hook. The landing gear are designed to pop out and there are pieces to display the gear down or up. The F-4 is sturdy in construction and looks fantastic with the flashy VF-84 scheme and decent weathering. There is potential for some paint flaws, but BBI has great quality control issues overall.
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

jlspec
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by jlspec » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:35 pm

Thanks from me too Dauntless. I also ordered an F-4 (it will be my second)

ketelone

Post by ketelone » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:23 pm

The BBI planes are fantastic. I just wish the Dauntless and the Wildcat had folding wings. If they did I'd buy more of them to display 'ready' for flight and waiting on the deck. I built 2 Revell Wildcats just to be able to display them in different forms.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:59 pm

No problemo guys :wink: