4D Vision F-14A Tomcat

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

4D Vision F-14A Tomcat

Post by 456THBG » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:54 am

Just received my 4D Vision 1/32 scale F-14A Tomcat from MTS yesterday...It is really a beautiful aircraft & is a perfect match for my BBI 1/32 scale Phantom...It was a bit pricey though, $149 plus $15.00 shipping, and it took a while to assemble, but was well worth the effort! Also, because of all of the removable panels it is extremely delicate - Definitely not a toy & really not meant to be handled more than is absolutely necessary. Oh yeah, and the paint is excellent - No weathering at all, but that is OK as Jack at SkyWorks is in the process of repainting my JSI 'Cat as I write this! Would post pics, but used all my skill & luck just figuring out how to write this post - If someone, who nows how, can post the 4D F14 pic, I think all would enjoy!
P.S. - MTS website says gear is retractable - Not the case, but probably just as well - The gear is fragile enough as it is!

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:39 pm

I posted in another 4D vision 1/32 thread earlier (a few weeks ago) that Big Lots has some of these on the shelf, they were selling for $129 but you can print a 40% off coupon so that means you can pick it up for about $77 plus tax. If you have Big Lots in your area check it out. Both of my Big Lots had a couple on the shelf before Christmas.
You're right about not moving it around once it's assembled though - things start to fall off really easy, but it looks really good.
"Where's dat waskily wabbit?"

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

4D Vision F-14A Tomcat

Post by 456THBG » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:55 am

Well, lesson learned! I should have looked back a little further and maybe could have saved myself quite a few bucks! I'll check out Big Lots anyway, got a couple near me.
Thanks, pcoughran!

supersonicfifi
Officer - Colonel
Officer - Colonel

Post by supersonicfifi » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:33 am

TOTALY AGREE ! this model is fantsatic !!!!!

I really like the small pilots with only moving heads it looks cool, ready to take off !!!!!

I've left mine totaly closed up (the interior is fantstic : MOTORS , structure and gun are accessible) but i think it look better in ready to fly condition.

i've got 6 jolly rogers models :

1/32 PHANTOM + 4D F 14
1/48 Franklin Mint TOMCAT
1/72 Tomcat DRAGON, WITTY + one other
1/72 F18 E

I miss the 1/48 gruman panther + 1/72 PHANTOM of HOBBY MASTER + 1/72 launch config. Century wings to complete the JOLLY jet collection

I will post pictures of my display as soon as my JSI arrive !
1/18 mirage 2000 & RAFALE should i say more ?

jlspec
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by jlspec » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:51 am

pcoughran wrote:I posted in another 4D vision 1/32 thread earlier (a few weeks ago) that Big Lots has some of these on the shelf, they were selling for $129 .
Did Big lots have these in the toy dept or some other area of the store
Thanks

KKH
Corporal
Corporal

Post by KKH » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:58 pm

Hobby Lobby had one which I got with a 30 or 40 percent off coupon, can't quite remember. List was 129.00. Took alot longer to assemble than I thought it would and yes kinda delicate!

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:58 pm

jlspec wrote:
pcoughran wrote:I posted in another 4D vision 1/32 thread earlier (a few weeks ago) that Big Lots has some of these on the shelf, they were selling for $129 .
Did Big lots have these in the toy dept or some other area of the store
Thanks
They were in the "model" section where all the "kits" are located and modelling supplies (paint, airbrushes, etc...) Both of my BigLots had a couple on the shelf a few weeks back for $129.
But like I said you can either print the 40% off coupon off their website or wait for a 30% off modelling stuff which comes along every third week or so - check their weekly flyer and coupon to see which one will apply - if the modelling stuff is 30% off that week then you won't be able to use the 40% off coupon, so you could wait another week and risk it being gone to get the 40% off or live with 30% off - still a fantastic price seeing how I paid $150 with shipping several months back from an etailer.

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:43 pm

I don't think my local Big Lots even have anything resembling a modeling section... The entire toy area is usually just a huge jumble of junk piled all over the place. I saw the 4D Tomcat at my local Hobbytown a couple months ago and so have an idea of what its box looks like. There wasn't anything like that in my local stores and not sure if there ever was. Still, cool to know that such a nice model made it to discount retail 8)
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

pcoughran
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by pcoughran » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:41 am

My bad - I meant to say Hobby Lobby from the beginning not Big Lots. Got my wires crossed. The 4d vision tomcats I'm talking about were at hobbylobby not biglots. Hobby Lobby has the coupons I was also talking about.

Sorry again for the confusion.
Phil

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:50 am

pcoughran wrote:My bad - I meant to say Hobby Lobby from the beginning not Big Lots. Got my wires crossed. The 4d vision tomcats I'm talking about were at hobbylobby not biglots. Hobby Lobby has the coupons I was also talking about.

Sorry again for the confusion.
Phil
You mean I spent two of my lunch breaks rumaging through a couple Big Lots stores looking for something that wasn't there? No problem and no need to apologise :D It was good to get out of the office and go on a couple toy runs :wink:
"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail."

jlspec
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by jlspec » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:06 pm

Too bad I don't have a Hobby Lobby close by

DocTodd
Officer - Lt. Colonel
Officer - Lt. Colonel

Post by DocTodd » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:44 pm

That is a bit of interesting news. Will have to check my local Hobby Lobby.
T
Todd

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:30 pm

Well, found a 4D Vision F14 at Hobby Lobby, in Memphis, today for $99.99...I paid $149.00 at MTS and now they are up to $159.00!
My bad, I know, I got anxious...I could have even gotten it at Historical Aviation for $119.00.
As I said earlier, and many have agreed, this is an outstanding model, in many ways better than JSI's F14, just in a smaller scale.
Anyway, MTS "clipped" me pretty good on that one, but they won't "clip" me again. Trust me, before you pay MTS's price, check your local Hobby Lobby - They actually have a really nice model kit section with all the accessories - You just may end up saving yourself a chunk of change!
Oh well, live and learn.

456THBG
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by 456THBG » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:21 pm

Well, I couldn't resist it...I got a 40% off coupon from Hobby Lobby's website and bought the one 4D F14 they had for $99.99 less 40% (net $59.99!!!)
Why did I buy a second one? Well it is a beautiful, highly detailed 1/32 model for certain, and maybe I'll get a repaint done on it, or maybe I'll sell it (down the road) on Ebay, or maybe blah, blah, blah... :D

apollo8
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: 4D Vision F-14A Tomcat

Post by apollo8 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:37 pm

Today, I picked up 4D Tomcat in the clearance section at my local hobby lobby store.
The price was marked down from $129.99 to $46.79. What a deal! :lol:

ketelone

Re: 4D Vision F-14A Tomcat

Post by ketelone » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Hobby Lobby has them in their clearance section.
Ketelone

"Freedom is not free."