Small Scale Review: Hallmark's The Sky's The Limit Series

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
Coreyeagle48
Officer - Brigadier General

Small Scale Review: Hallmark's The Sky's The Limit Series

Post by Coreyeagle48 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:57 pm

Greetings

These have never been discussed here so I thought I would share photos and do a little review on them. Enjoy!

The Hallmark Company is well known throughout the world for their high quality cards, ornaments and other gifts. The Hallmark name and logo is a proud symbol of quality. This quality has transferred into finely crafted ornaments in a variety of subjects such as cars, trucks, people and movies. For the last 12 years, Hallmark's quality and attention to detail has created wonderful small scale replicas of some unique aircraft in Hallmark's The Sky Is The Limit Ornament series. These finely crafted aircraft make a nice addition and compliment to a small scale collection of aircraft and are wonderful tree decorations as well.

When Hallmark started the series, they started off with a safe aircraft, the Wright Flyer. The Wright Flyer sold well and the series has continued to feature 11 other aircraft.

All of the Hallmark ornaments come in a quality box with wonderful graphics showing each airplane. The boxes are small and all carry the same basic look, although colors and design have changed over the years. This is the box for the 2008 ornament, the Ercoupe 415.

All of the ornaments arrive in a plastic bag in a plastic formed tray in the box, providing for good protection. This also comes in handy for future storage.

The last few years the series has featured many general aviation aircraft, this one being a Beech Staggerwing. This is one of my favorites of the series. This aircraft is exceptionally well done for its size and features bracing wires, rolling wheels and a spinning prop. The only thing that makes it less detailed is the ornament hook which could be cut off carefully if the plane would only be desired as a model.

This is the Stinson of the series, the Hallmark ornaments are exceptionally well painted and the quality of the sculpts is terrific. These planes have retailed anywhere from $15 to $20 and are well worth it. Some of the planes are unique and you probably won't find the same plane in such a small size.

One of the unique models is this Spartan. The silver paint is terrific and the plane a very nice replica.

This picture shows the Staggerwing with a 1/144 21st Century P-47for size comparison. The scale of each Hallmark ornament differs to "fit in the box", but the details and quality is wonderful. The Staggerwing presents a much nicer overall appearence than the 21st Century pieces.

As stated, some choices have been unique, like this Laird Super Solution which was flown by Jimmy Doolittle.

The entire series so far.

Overall, these are great small scale pieces and although they are ornaments, look perfectly fine next to smaller scale models from other companies. I hope Hallmark continues to keep the lineup interesting and to continue to do planes not previously done. Staying away from warbirds would be a big step. I'd personally like to see Earhart's Vega or a Piper Cub in the future, but we'll see. Enjoyable and fun pieces. Recommended for any small scale collection!
Trade References

tmanthegreat
hworth18
raiderad6
Snake
USCGSARdog
ThreeToughTrucks
Jnewboy
The one and only "Razor"
Rowsdower
Pizzaguy
pickelhaube
vmf 214
popeye357
JOC
Jwcarpenter

Stug45

Post by Stug45 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:05 pm

Great review. Going to pick some of these up.
The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent.

Dauntless

Post by Dauntless » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:41 am

I've got quite a few of these from a while ago, though I missed the last 2 or 3 years.

Along with the trains, Star Trek and Star Wars ornaments.

They made a larger size of some of them called "Legends of Flight" that is mostly 1/72 scale with a base the plane sits on, and a button that makes the prop spin. Kinda cool.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>=}:
Good trader list: hworth18, Threetoughtrucks, mikeg, cjg746, jlspec

7rounds
Corporal
Corporal

Post by 7rounds » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:52 am

I got the ercoupe for my father this Christmas. He owned one in the fifties and both he and my mom flew it. The detail is very nice.