a source for some 21C stuff...

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
binder001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

a source for some 21C stuff...

Post by binder001 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:30 am

Just got a chance to visit the Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor at Ft. Knox, KY for the first time in a long time (about 27 years!). Great place for any "tank nut". Anyway, as well as lots of armor, they have a gift shop stocked with a number of 21C and FoV items. They had a batch of M5A1 light tanks, M18 tank destroyers, etc that I haven't seen on retail shelves for a while. They also had a fair selection of 1:18 armor and aircraft by 21C. They MIGHT have the odd item you need to fil a collection. The local hobby shop in Elizabethtown, KY - Hobby Station - also has quite a bit of 21C and FoV in multiple scales, from 1:6 on down to the little stuff by Dragon.

Just thought that I'd pass this along to my fellow collectors.

By the way, the Patton Museum will be presenting a WW2 mock battle (Germans versus US) on Memorial Day weekend. It WILL be worth seeing.

Mr. Football
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Football » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:56 am

Cool, that must've been a treat to visit that museum and see the King Tiger.
"I like a man who grins when he fights" - Winston Churchill

binder001
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant
Officer - 2nd Lieutenant

visiting the King Tiger...

Post by binder001 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:03 pm

Yes, in all my years of being a "tank nut" this was the first time I actually touched a King Tiger! Very impressive beast (but I still like my Shermans)

Gary

Winky
Corporal
Corporal

New source for 21st Century

Post by Winky » Sun May 01, 2005 7:37 am

I had a chance to see Bovington last summer in the south of England. What a blast. Harrowing drive to get there, but well worth it. My wife took tons of pics with me standing next to various AFV's so I could establish /remember size when I got back. I think they had 160 plus tanks there, including a king tiger. Lordy, lordy, some of those vehicles are big. Bovington shows interiors of some of its tanks, including WWI beasties. They've also constructed a section of WWI trench that's fun to see and that you can walk through. Like the Patton museum, they sell lots of different tanks in their gift shop. I remember seeing lots of FOV stuff, but can't recall if they had 21st Century.

Also saw the Imperial War Museum in London with a board member, David Bradley, who was really gracious and tons of fun to talk with. The Imperial War Museum in London used to be an insane asylum... The Imperial War Museum North in Mancherster is certainly well worth a look as well, but very different in tone than its brother in London. It very dramatically and creatively conveys the wreckage and fragmentation of the human spirit war causes.

Dick

tmanthegreat
Officer - Brigadier General

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun May 01, 2005 11:37 am

I'd have to fully agree with you about the Imperial War Museum in London! I was just there about a month ago and (previously having studied in London for a few months) visited it many times beforehand. Thats cool you got to tour with a boardmember - I usually had to dodge the hundreds of schoolkids!

The only XD I've seen in England was at the RAF Musuem just north of London in Colindale. They only had planes (Spits, Galland 109's, Stukas, and RAF P-40s) and they were on sale for £29.99, which was about $54, US. They were packaged under licence by Corgi. Forgot to mention that they also one 32x ME-262. No Armor. The Hamley's Toyshop in London and the Modelzone stores carried tons of FOV.

Mr. Football
Officer - 1st Lieutenant
Officer - 1st Lieutenant

Post by Mr. Football » Sun May 01, 2005 2:19 pm

I had the fortune of visiting the Imperial War Museum, what a treat!

Wonderful exhibits. I loved the Jagdpanther!
"I like a man who grins when he fights" - Winston Churchill

tmanthegreat

Post by tmanthegreat » Sun May 01, 2005 2:24 pm

This one, right?

:D :D :D

The cutaway to show the interior was very cool. Did you also see the hull damage?