21st Cent. PKFW. IV vs. FOV PKFW IV

Your forum dedicated to 1/32nd and smaller plastic and metal figures and vehicles.
donnieboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

21st Cent. PKFW. IV vs. FOV PKFW IV

Post by donnieboy » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:12 pm

I've noticed that the 21 C 1:32 PKFW IV tank is somewhat longer than the Forces of Valor version (especially to the rear of the turret). Are they different Ausfs or is one less accurate than the other with respect to size? The FOV version seems kind of stocky but then pictures of Mk. IVs in books appear that way also. Opinions? :?:
Go Starbuck!

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:49 am

Actually, neither turret is correct. The FOV is pretty close in proper dimension and porportion.. The front top plate of the turret is supposed to be equal width from front to back. On the 21st turret, the top front plate is wider at the front edge than at the back edge. The 21st turret is more correct in the fact that the cupola "overhangs" the top edge of the turret. The FOV turret has the cupola a bit too far forward. The 21st turret exposes the correct amount of rear engine deck when the gun is pointed forward. The FOV turret is a bit too long. This extra length is due to the turret bustle being too long. This is a flaw on both models. The middle hinge on the bustle door should be about 2-3 scale inches from the cupola edge as opposed to the scale two feet on the FOV and the scale foot on the 21st model. Finally, the 21st turret has the rear turret plate armor supports fitted to the back of the hinged door on the side plates. They should angle back as on the FOV model. I am sure these "flaws" are designed in to ease production and add strength to the models. The models are close enough on both accounts for my tastes.

TJ

corpbob
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by corpbob » Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:22 am

Krieglok, since you seem to be very good with scale, are my calculations correct that the FOV StuG III is far too wide to be accurate to 1/32?

krieglok
Officer - Captain
Officer - Captain

Post by krieglok » Tue Oct 26, 2004 9:04 am

My comparisons are ballpark, just to clear that up. Dimensions and proportions are the keys here. The Stug IV that 21st makes is a good example. The rear idler wheel is about 1/8 of an inch too far back from the rearmost road wheel. This isnt a big deal until proportion comes into play. That little error makes the Stug IV look way too long and squat. But looking at drawings and dimensions, it isnt that far off. But one little factor kind of throws the look, at least for me. Some exagerations help the model while some detract. The Stug III seems to be the right width but eyeballing it with some of my "correct known" versions, it may be a little on the short side for 1/32. Short enough to give the tank that "pudgy" look. I dont have exact dimensions for each surface, but it appear to me that the front plate on the Stug III is too high and that may add to the illusion of being oversize. I still think it is a decent model though as is the 21st Stug IV. We just have to allow some "artistic license" on the part of the mold makers...

TJ

donnieboy
Sergeant
Sergeant

21st Cent. PKFW IV vs. FOV PKFW IV

Post by donnieboy » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:36 pm

Krieglok:
Thanks for the straight scoop on the panzer IV. It's nice to be able to pick the brains of experts. I was actually wondering about the tank's hull. which is slightly longer in the 21C version. The impression I get from your comments is that most of these models are off a little in scale or details, no matter what the brand. Guess we should just be glad they're around. Look what was available even five years ago-Nada!
Go Starbuck!